Battery temp 5 to 6 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmondLeaf

If this already reported I will delete. It was recently cold here so I had my battery at 5 bars. Yesterday I drove the car only very early in the morning and still with 5 bars I put car in garage that was around 69 and 72 this morning. When I took car from garage my 6 temp bar was up so it looks like battery will follow ambient temp, in fact manual states that it should be at 74.3. Any idea when number 7 is up, according to manual should be 98.2F.

When I'm at 6 temp bars with the temperatures in the ninety's, it will go to 7 with a QC.
Sent with speech to text

i get mostly 5s. Recently, I noticed (unsure if I just didnt notice before) that I was getting 6s after work -- park in a garage that is usually in the 70s.
and also occasionally after driving home.
my parking spot at night, rarely gets above 70.

Recently its been in the 80s and maybe a 90 here and there. My battery temp is either 5 or 6.

Yesterday it was low 80s and I drove 30 miles at 6 temp bars. Parked outside. Came back 2.5 hrs later and drove 25 miles still at 6 temp bars. QC'ed for 15 minutes and drove another 10 miles - still at 6 temp bars.

FWIW

LEAF Batt Temp
Segments Degrees C (F).     Temp difference 
12----------60---------(140).........4.5F
11----------57.5-------(135.5)......4.5F
10----------55---------(131).........4.5F
9-----------52.5-------(126.5)......4.5F
8-----------50---------(122)........23.8F
7-----------36.8-------(98.2)......23.9F
6-----------23.5-------(74.3)......23.9F
5-----------10.3-------(50.5)......23.9F
4----------/ -3---------(26.6).......5.4F
3----------/ -6---------(21.2).......5.4F
2----------/ -9---------(15.8).......5.4F
1----------/-12--------(10.4).......5.4F
0----------/ -15---------(5).........5.4F

DesertDenizen said:
I have had several days at 101 and it stays at 6 bars.

So, you're saying that the temp gauge isn't very accurate? :mrgreen:

I suspect that if the ambient temperature is mostly below 98F, and merely tops out at 101F, that the battery does not heat up quickly enough (with 600 pounds of mass) to get that hot.

It's the long term temperature average under the car that matters. The Leaf battery is sealed and has a very high thermal mass so its temperature moves very slowly...

EdmondLeaf said:
We are in middle 90F for two day, and my car still at 5 temp bars

TomT said:
It's the long term temperature average under the car that matters. The Leaf battery is sealed and has a very high thermal mass so its temperature moves very slowly...

EdmondLeaf said:
We are in middle 90F for two day, and my car still at 5 temp bars

I am not sure if my experience agree what you said. If you look at my first post, quite opsite. What happened now I charged car 3 days ago and back then temp was 59. I did not drive car, or did anything with it. 2 night ago I was able to lower temp in the garage to 67 but last night only to 70 so I expect temp will change to 6 bars anytime, It is 73 inside the garage right now. Last time when car was in similar situation, it go from 5 to 6 temp bars once out of the garage.

Back