Battery buffer in 2013 model?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbissell

Is there a built in battery buffer in the bars shown in the 2013 MY? Does 0bars shown = 0% SOC? Or is there a 2 bar buffer below the display like in the 2012 model?

I ask because I have not encountered either Low Battery or VLB warnings and would like to know when to expect these and exactly how much battery I would have remaining.

This is for the built in SOC meter in the car, not a GID meter, etc...

% appears to be available SOC. 100% = full battery

12 bars = 100%
9 bars = 75%
6 bars = 50%

From this I would assume that 3 bars = 25% and 0 bars = 0%

Just curious if 0% SOC = VLB or Turtle...

bradbissell said:
This is for the built in SOC meter in the car, not a GID meter, etc...

% appears to be available SOC. 100% = full battery

12 bars = 100%
9 bars = 75%
6 bars = 50%

From this I would assume that 3 bars = 25% and 0 bars = 0%

Just curious if 0% SOC = VLB or Turtle...

I got the VLB warning once, as I pulled onto my driveway, and there was one SOC bar left.

I've not made it to turtle mode yet.

newownermnl
Please have a look at the video Tony recorded during a recent test drive. VLB came up with 8% on the dash SOC meter. In a new 2013 vehicle with a new battery, we can expect similar performance, even though the dash SOC meter is not a Gid meter, as was pointed out above.

XErQSc

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJudzKQftv4[/youtube]

bradbissell said:
Is there a built in battery buffer in the bars shown in the 2013 MY? Does 0bars shown = 0% SOC? Or is there a 2 bar buffer below the display like in the 2012 model?

I ask because I have not encountered either Low Battery or VLB warnings and would like to know when to expect these and exactly how much battery I would have remaining.

The SoC% on the dash (2013) will read 17-18% at LBW. It will read 7-8% at VLBW. It will read 1-2% at Turtle. For those with CMs, it is 17.4%, 8.5%, and 1.4-2.4% respectively. If you're going pretty slow, then Turtle will be at 1.4%, but if going 40-45mph or faster, it will be at 2.4%.

Thanks everyone! So no hidden bars. Good to know! I plan on testing the cars abilities tomorrow. Drove home from work tonight (26 miles @ 71% SOC) and will not charge, then going to work in the morning and after that I will then see how far I can get. :) I will probably chicken out somewhere along the route home.

bradbissell said:
Thanks everyone! So no hidden bars. Good to know! I plan on testing the cars abilities tomorrow. Drove home from work tonight (26 miles @ 71% SOC) and will not charge, then going to work in the morning and after that I will then see how far I can get. :) I will probably chicken out somewhere along the route home.
What most of us think of as "hidden bars" is that when one gets to LBW with one bar showing one still has more than 17% of charge remaining (roughly 15% usable). If you like, you can think of the last bar as being much bigger than the others, but it is the equivalent of at least one "hidden" bar.

Regardless, the landmarks for getting low on charge are LBW and VLBW. Since the 2013 has the SOC meter, there is no cause for alarm when charge gets low: at two fuel bars or less keep an eye on the SOC. It should be quite easy to calculate the remaining range at a given mileage efficiency.

You should drive down to LBW for the experience and consider that you still have quite a bit of range left when you get there.

I've driven mine for several miles after VLBW. --- for both the GOM and %SOC and even had the last bar disappear. Never entered turtle, but I'm sure I was close!

Phatcat73 said:
I've driven mine for several miles after VLBW. --- for both the GOM and %SOC and even had the last bar disappear. Never entered turtle, but I'm sure I was close!

Just look at the SoC% on the dash, and if it gets down to 3%, you're only 1-2% from Turtle.

mkjayakumar said:
Turtle at 5 Gids?

The only warning attached to Gids are the LBW and VLB warning, and even they can be one off either way. Generally, 49 and 24 respectively.

Turtle and auto-shutdown is likely indexed to cell pair voltage, and the acceleration rate that the voltage is dropping. So, at high power draws, like cruising down the freeway or going up a hill, the Turtle will pop up at as much as 7 or 8 Gid, while at light power draws, like driving 12mph to stretch range, it could be 4-5 Gid.

Phatcat73 said:

Please take a peak at the Range Chart to get an idea of how much further you could have driven. Generally speaking, you have a fixed 1.3kWh remaining at VLB / GOM = "---" and on the 2013 LEAF, the dash % instrument will show 8%.

SOC% - "kWh usable" --Gid----Gid%---Gid2%---2013 dash % (2013 dash % data based on SOC%, not Gids)
95.x% -21.0--Full----281---100%---100%----100% (non-degraded at 70F; 21kWh usable)
------10.5--Half----144--51.2%----50%----50% (non-degraded at 70F; 10.5kWh usable)
95.x%-10.5--Full***--144--51.2%----50%----100% (***used 50% degraded at 70F; 10.5kWh usable)
------ 3.1---LBW----49---17.4%---15.3%----17%
----- 1.3 ---VLB----24----8.6%-----6.2%----8% (GOM will show "---")
2.x%-- 0.0---Turtle --7-----2.5%-----0%-----(---) (both GOM and dash % will show "---")

Phatcat73 said:
Thanks. My SOC% displayed --- and I was still not in turtle. I recall the "---" appeared when falling below 6% SOC.

The SoC% on the dash OR the DTE was ---? I've never heard of the SoC% (new for 2013) showing---. When it gets to 1-2% you will be in Turtle mode.

LEAFfan said:
Phatcat73 said:
Thanks. My SOC% displayed --- and I was still not in turtle. I recall the "---" appeared when falling below 6% SOC.

The SoC% on the dash OR the DTE was ---? I've never heard of the SoC% (new for 2013) showing---. When it gets to 1-2% you will be in Turtle mode.

Yes, it does. This will be yet another difficult thing to determine when people start saying "---", Since it can mean the GOM with about 1.3kWh remaining or the dash SOC%, which is virtually at Turtle. See my video from the Feb 24, 2013 San Diego range test.

This picture was taken after driving 89.1 miles at 4.2 miles/kWh, with the Gidmeter showing 8 Gid (2.8% Gid) and 325 pack voltage:

Back