Avoiding "overage" miles, convert 12k to 15k?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

I'm one week into a 3-year "12k" lease and am just realizing that I may need more than 1,000 miles per month. (I think low-mileage months early in my previous lease brought my average into the 900s, "hiding" the fact that later months were well over 1000.) Anyway, this brought to mind two questions:

1. Is it possible to convert a 12k lease to a 15k in the early-going of a lease? Has anyone tried and/or successfully done it? How much did or "should" it cost? I didn't even ask about 15k prices at the time, so I don't even know what value they put on it when it's all done beforehand.
  2. I should know this too, but I assume that if I purchase at lease-end, the mileage at the time is a non-issue. This would make the above question moot, but I don't know yet if I'll want to buy, so it will help me (and others) plan accordingly.

not aware of anyone who has done that. best bet, call Nissan. I know more than a few people who are in your situation. They simply underestimated the strength of the feeling of "leave the gasser at home. I no longer like it anymore" after a few trips in the new LEAF.

I will try to reach out to them to see if they have been able to increase their leases. As for me? This is my 2nd one and I knew going in that 15,000 would not be enough...

I did a little math based on my lease numbers back in 2012. My 15k mile/year lease cost $.11/mile for the extra 3k miles each year. My overage penalty was $.15/mile. Based on that, if you drive less than 14,200 miles per year, you are better off with the 12k mile/year lease. (.11 X 3000 / .15 = 2200 miles over is breakeven)

This comparison gets more complicated if you buy the car at the end of the lease. On one hand, you won't pay the overage. On the other, the residual is lower if you lease for more miles.

mbender said:
I should know this too, but I assume that if I purchase at lease-end, the mileage at the time is a non-issue. This would make the above question moot, but I don't know yet if I'll want to buy, so it will help me (and others) plan accordingly.
You are correct. If you purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, there is no mileage penalty.

billg said:
mbender said:
I should know this too, but I assume that if I purchase at lease-end, the mileage at the time is a non-issue. This would make the above question moot, but I don't know yet if I'll want to buy, so it will help me (and others) plan accordingly.
You are correct. If you purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, there is no mileage penalty.

ya but i NEVER intended to buy the 85 mile LEAF. has to be a minimum 120 before I would even consider it. my issue is that my projected mileage if I continue at my current pace will be about 17,800 after the first year. Now, degradation will encourage me to go more gas in the 2nd and 3rd year but not sure it will be enough especially if the public charging network increases.

Now, I was able to end my lease a bit early because I leased another LEAF. (i was a few hundred miles below my 45,000 mile limit :) ) So might investigate that but its starting to look like my "Winter Limit" is going to be closer to 70 miles than the planned 80 miles only to reduce the mileage

mbender said:
I'm one week into a 3-year "12k" lease and am just realizing that I may need more than 1,000 miles per month. (I think low-mileage months early in my previous lease brought my average into the 900s, "hiding" the fact that later months were well over 1000.) Anyway, this brought to mind two questions:

1. Is it possible to convert a 12k lease to a 15k in the early-going of a lease? Has anyone tried and/or successfully done it? How much did or "should" it cost? I didn't even ask about 15k prices at the time, so I don't even know what value they put on it when it's all done beforehand.
  2. I should know this too, but I assume that if I purchase at lease-end, the mileage at the time is a non-issue. This would make the above question moot, but I don't know yet if I'll want to buy, so it will help me (and others) plan accordingly.
you could convert but more than likely the conversion costs will cost as much as paying for the extra mileage at termination

Back