My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's tricky, for me anyway, I'm lucky I can email.

I just figured out how to get mine small enough and make it look sharper, it's been fuzzy up til now.

I sent the photo from my phone to my email, and it let me reduce the size to send it. But I still had to reduce it below 90 x 90 pixels, with Office picture manager. Seems better.

I'm sure there's easier ways to do it. Good luck.

I used a program called 'compupic' for years but it's no longer supported and doesn't work in 64 bit operating systems. Today I use the free/opensource app IrfanView.
http://www.irfanview.com/

To make the Avatar, you'll need to crop/resize to meet the physical height/width requirement, then compress (Jpeg quality for one example) to meet the file size limit.

In IrfanView:

Import the image: File/Open (or control-prtscn to screen capture, then in IrfanView Edit/Paste)

Crop: Drag a rubber-band box around the part of the image to become the avatar, then press control and Y to crop.

Resize: Image/Resize-Resample (or Control-R) - you can enter the actual pixel dimensions in the upper left quarter of the screen.

Save/set file size: File/Save As (I use jpeg then select increasingly smaller quality percentages until I drop below the file size limit. If the forum requires another file format, I'll re-open the cropped/sized image and File/Save-As into another format.)

Enjoy!

Thanks, I took the pic from my Iphone and sent it to my Mac, tried every thing and the smallest is 34k I don't seem to have a problem on other forums posting a avatars, 6k is way too small and a pain to resize that small.

I've given up, spent a whole hour messing with it. I will just upload the pic to photo bucket and link it below in my signature.

Fred

Aw Fred, I can feel your frustration, but don't let it defeat you. These computers can be amazing devices sometimes, and other times I could just shoot them. I spent hours once trying to print my Christmas envelopes, and I shouldn't have worried about it, I can do it much quicker by hand. Heck, my grandkids joke that I'll press the wrong key and delete NH, just because I occasionally lose a document or three. Sorry NH, they can usually recover you again.

But you can't put an avatar in by hand, so try this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's some good leads in there, and people who know how these things work that you can PM.

Anyway, don't let the computers win.

Back