Available EVSE Info (J1772 Jan 2010)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
And it's 8.4 kw and money does not go to AV, sounds better already. I'm looking forward to the Leviton pricing.
I am looking for a lower price and it only needs to barely cover the 3.3 Kw LEAF charger for me.

palmermd, I will try to get clear on the p/n tomorrow.

http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1912

EV World surveyed seven charging station manufacturers in North America and Europe to compile a listing of available home charging units, all of which have Level II charging capability. This means they will need to be wired for single phase 220-240V current at 30 amps. This will enable owners to recharge their cars -- depending on the size of the battery pack and the depth of discharge -- in 3-6 hours, instead of the 8-12 hours using standard 110V 15 amp household current. While most homes built in the last half century in the United States and Canada have single-phase 208-240V service, it is not always readily accessible where the vehicle will be parked overnight.

planet4ever said:
And the bottom line is, for every unit they list:

Pricing: TBA

As expected, as many will launch at the same time and don't want to reveal pricing to the competition until launch.

palmermd said:
smkettner said:
I found out the EV-ChargeAmerica is $895
Although at first they responded with p/n 2004 that was a 120v EVSE
Then they corrected the inquiry to be p/n 2104 for a 240v 35amp EVSE

http://www.ev-chargeamerica.com/products_ev2004.html

I'm assuming that the price you have is for the corrected part number?

$895 for the 2104?
Well I specifically asked if the Price was $895 was for the 240v 35a but no answer in the reply
I also specifically asked if it was corded or must be hard wired...(drum roll here) reply said it includes the cord to the vehicle :roll:

Anyway he did say they are in stock and ready to ship :D

If you want one today I would suggest getting them on the phone to answer any questions.
He also said they do take credit cards for easy payment.

Contact info:

Dwight Dagenais
EV Charge America
702-204-7099
[email protected]

smkettner said:
Anyway he did say they are in stock and ready to ship :D

If you want one today I would suggest getting them on the phone to answer any questions.
He also said they do take credit cards for easy payment.

Contact info:

Dwight Dagenais
EV Charge America
702-204-7099
[email protected]

Thanks.

Limited lower price, nice sales tactic. I would bet most could get that price or better in Dec.

link has worked for me all morning......

I have a wiring question........

if this unit is 240 @ 40 a does that require the wire
gauge to be "4" ?

40a breaker requires #8 wire. Larger (#6,#4 etc.) if voltage drop is an issue due to length.

20' is no trouble, I think 100' would be fine with #8.

What gauge wire would a short-run (less than 30 feet?) 50A breaker require?
(A 50A breaker would be required if one uses a 40A "continuous" load.)

But, a 40-amp EVSE is probably 32A max "continuous", on a 40-amp breaker/circuit.

garygid said:
What gauge wire would a short-run (less than 30 feet?) 50A breaker require?
(A 50A breaker would be required if one uses a 40A "continuous" load.)
That depends on the temperature rating of the wiring method you use. If you are using a 60C rated wiring method, like NM cable (romex), then you need to use #6 Cu conductors. If you are using a 75C rated wiring method, such as EMT with THHN conductors, and the terminations at the circuit breaker and the EVSE are also rated at 75C, then you can use #8 Cu.

Cheers, Wayne

My home was prewired when built in 2004 with #8 romex on a double 40a breaker specifically for an electric vehicle charging station.
The run is at least 50' and most definately city inspected.

hodad66 said:

Some FAQ that was sent to me from ev-chargeamerica:

Hello,
I am interested in your EV2104 home EVSE, but I have a few questions.

Maybe you can email a Spec Sheet that answers all of them, or just note the answers and Reply. Please

-- EV-Charge America has a detailed technical "cutsheet" we can supply to you for your evaluation, if our answers below need to be supplemented.

1. Does the "Plug-and-Play Design" mean that it comes with a standard type AC plug ready to plug into an existing wall socket (and, if so, what type plug)?

-- No, you can't plug these units into a standard household outlet. They are 240 volt, not 120 volt and therefore not at all compatible. It is strongly advised, from a safety and fire hazard standpoint, not to ever attempt to use a 240 volt appliance with any type with of 120 volt outlet, or vice versa.

However, these units are designed to plug into a 240 volt wall outlet, (similar to a electric clothes dryer or air conditioner). This special type of 240 volt outlet should be available within approximately 12 inches of where you would like to install your Charge@Home unit.

Further, "Plug and play" means the unit just starts itself up and starts working. You don't have to program anything, configure anything, or take any special technical steps to get it working.

The new electric vehicles also have a standard 120 volt connection included that you can use if you need to charge at a location that does not have 240 volt fast charging service with a J1772 connector.

2. Or, is this L2 EVSE "listed" for hard-wired use only? -- Per above. At least, for right now, the national electrical code (NEC) rules and regulations states that it is against the law, and most local fire codes, to have a detachable cord (an extension cord) for fast charging, 240 volt service. That is why it is necessary to have a 240 volt outlet to plug the Charge@Home unit into, or you can wire the unit directly to the service if you don't think you'll be moving it later.

(Some are really wanting a "portable", plug-in EVSE, like the Leviton L2
models.)

-- Today, portable, detachable units are only allowed and available with standard, household 120 volt current, slow trickle-charge models. The Leviton model you cite is a slow-trickle charge unit that will take up to 18 hours to charge your vehicle, regardless of where it is plugged in.

3. Can the user change the "max-current" setting, depending upon the amp rating of the circuit or breaker breaker (15, 20, 30, 40, 50
amps) that the user will connect it to? (max current would then be 12, 16, 24, 32, or 40 amps)

-- It's recommended that you have a dedicated 40 amp double pole circuit breaker installed to support your EV charging. Anything short of that would be a significant sub-optimization of your vehicle's charging potential.

4. Is the EV2104 outdoor-use "listed"?

-- Yes

5. Does the "outdoor" use of the EV2104 require hard-wiring?

-- You can hard wire it if you like, per above.

6. If desired, can one disable the need for the RF-ID, so that the EVSE is "always" available? (for example, if I install in my private garage, using the RF-ID each time I charge, is an inconvenience.)

-- For safety purposes, it is recommended that an activation method be used to turn on the high voltage power only when it is needed. We do have other means of turning on the juice that does not require an RFID tag or smart card as an option.

7. Is this EVSE for 32A maximum output (when used on a 40A circuit), or 40A max output when used on a 50A circuit?

-- The former.

Steve, these units are available to ship today. We also accept credit cards to expeditite your order.

Dwight Dagenais

EV Charge America

702-204-7099

Al these posts should be under the EVSE cost comparison thread, this is an outdated and redundant thread.

Why is an 240V EVSE necessary to charge the Leaf at home? As I understand from my EE friend, battery management is built into car. You can plug directly into any 110V outlet. Why not the same for any 220V outlet? Apparently the Leaf home charging station simply puts out a signal that the 220V station is being used. The battery management system in the car controls the flow of electricity into the car's battery pack.

So, are systems being developed to avoid using the expensive and rare home charging stations? For example, with multiple residences or when visiting family or friends overnight, it would be nice to be able to plug into any old 240V outlet.

Lee

Back