Automatic Dryer Plug Switcher?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevinleaf said:
OK, so I got the switcher working but didn't put it up right away because I was afraid of the backlash. Although I feel this is a totally safe way of doing this perhaps I missed a bit of electrical code somewhere. You can still fell free to tell me if I did something not safe here.

So the relay needs to be located inside of a real NEMA rated enclosure with all the proper grommets so there aren't stray wires, hot terminals that can be touched, etc.

I suspect that is #12 romex but I'd prefer to see #10, though I realize that the rules for "appliance" wiring is different than building wiring.

Not much you can about the neutral/ground since that once was acceptable.

I'd check the standby wattage on the power adapter. I think you might be surprised how much vampire draw it has. Transformer AC/DC adapters are pretty bad compared to switching power supplies. I wouldn't be surprised if that contactor had a significant power draw as well so you'd want it spend most of its time off.

I admit I had to look this up but http://grammarist.com/usage/drier-dryer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)

I wonder how many times a relay like that can be switched off under load? I have no idea what kind of ratings they'd have.

I don't really think it's a good idea to kill the power to your car. I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed or if it has been fixed so do your own research but it's my understanding this was causing diodes to fail which required replacing the entire onboard charger.

If you decide to put it in a box and would like some 10-2 romex let me know.

Thanks for the comments. I will consider putting that in a NEMA enclosure. It would be a good added level of safety.

Current draw of coil: I will check this out also. Currently the OFF mode is to charge the car, which is the mode it is in most of the time.

Switching under load: I will check but relays like this are meant to handle that kind of thing. Its not like there will be thousands or even hundreds of times it is switched under load.

Killing power to the EVSE (and the car) while charging: I assumed the car could handle this since it is a normal thing that could happen: the power goes out to the house or building when it is being charged. But I would like feedback on this. This is also a rare case: mostly I unplug my car from the EVSE when switching but I don't want my wife to have to worry about this so once in a while it could get switched off while charging.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Dryer is spelled wrong
Could be an entirely unrelated label. Maybe he just wants people to know that things that are at a higher elevation are more dry. Useful advice for your every day life! :D

Yes, a Dryer dries clothes. When it is complete the clothes are much drier. I will change this as it really bothers me now.

FWIW there are no open contacts that could be touched to zap you. Everything bare is under the plastic, screwed-on cover of the relay. However an extra level of safety would not hurt.

Shock is just one of the electrical hazards. The metal box is mostly to protect against fires and arcs and sparks. Google "arc flash" and select videos to see what I mean.

kevinleaf said:
Yes, a Dryer dries clothes. When it is complete the clothes are much drier. I will change this as it really bothers me now.
Hah, sorry, I couldn't help it. It's not something I really ever thought about but noticed it looked wrong and had to google to verify :)

I presume you'll be doing research about the impact of cutting power while charging so definitely report back what you find.

I presume you'll be doing research about the impact of cutting power while charging so definitely report back what you find

I did not, other than figuring that the car better be able to deal with this since an EVSE can blow a breaker or the grid can go down at any time. This can't fry your car. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. I will do some research also.

Back