Auto self-locking door

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILLETRIC is right this feature is ridiculous and very annoying, each time you want to exit you have to unlock the door and (never thought of it) would be very dangerous in an accident indeed ... you would be hurt not only by the accident but probably by the window smashed in your face ... when survival depends on "time" you don't want to add any delays to your rescue ... but I never think about accidents or "bad neighborhoods" but only annoyed by it ...

This bugs me every day.

I live in a rural community.
I stop at the end of the driveway to pick up the morning paper on the way to work.
I stop at the end of our driveway every day to pick the mail out of the mailbox.

Why do I have to unlock the door to let myself out. Well because if I shut the car off I have to do the other stupid annoying thing
say OK to the data share question.

Why would anyone leave a product on the market that PI$$ES so many of us off every day ( or twice a day in my case ) ?

If you're not listening to your customers, who are you listening to ?

Guys, if you don't like the auto-lock, simply turn it off! It IS a user option and is documented in the owners manual! The dealer can also program it so it unlocks when you select Park, if that is what you want... Personally, I like the auto-lock.

Maybe I'm thick but I've tried a few times and I can't make it stop auto locking. The proceedure turns off the auto-unlocking so the car stays locked
after you push the "off" ignition button.

brent said:
Maybe I'm thick but I've tried a few times and I can't make it stop auto locking. The proceedure turns off the auto-unlocking so the car stays locked after you push the "off" ignition button.
Did you try pushing the button the other way? To disable (or re-enable) auto unlocking, hold unlock down for 5 seconds. To disable (or re-enable) auto locking, hold lock down for 5 seconds. Always within 20 seconds of powering on, of course.

Ray

There are many dealer selectable options. Mine locks with D and opens with P, but there are many configs.

I've got a 2013 and the manual indicates that the auto-UNlock can be deactivated by holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds. This only means that when the car is tuned off, you must manually unlock the doors. This does not help those, like me, that want to keep the doors from auto-locking. It ends up being the same. You still have to unlock the odor to get out, and now even when the car is in the off position.

Nothing in there about turning the auto-lock function off, which is what I'd like to do.

I was able to disable the autolock feature. I can't remember if I held the lock or the unlock but it definitely disabled all the automatic lock stuff.

Was driving me crazy also. Nissan engineering did not allow it to be programmed the way I expect. :(

I like autolock but anytime a door is locked and the driver pulls a handle the door should unlock. Common sense, something Nissan engineers fight with on a daily basis I bet.

OK I keep getting told I can have it unlock at power off OR selecting park... not both.

I want it to relock after temporarily being in park. Only way is to lock while putting in D as I understand.... will not relock based on speed.

This is what Connell Nissan is saying and confirmed on this board.
This stuff is maddening :x

KellyROlsen said:
I've got a 2013 and the manual indicates that the auto-UNlock can be deactivated by holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds. This only means that when the car is tuned off, you must manually unlock the doors. This does not help those, like me, that want to keep the doors from auto-locking. It ends up being the same. You still have to unlock the odor to get out, and now even when the car is in the off position. Nothing in there about turning the auto-lock function off, which is what I'd like to do.
Quite true, there is nothing stated in the manual, but it works the same way.
  • Holding down unlock for 5 seconds switches auto unlock from on to off, or from off to on.
  • Holding down lock for 5 seconds switches auto lock from on to off, or from off to on.
In both cases you have to do this with 20 seconds of powering the car on.

EVDRIVER said:
smkettner said:
I want the doors to unlock with park or shut down, and lock or relock when the speed is met. No can do :|
Mine do exactly that.
I find that hard to believe. Nissan service can set them to unlock when you press Park or when you shut down, but not both. Shutting down implicitly puts the car in Park, but it does not implicitly unlock the doors if they are set to unlock when you press Park. Perhaps you have trained yourself to always press Park before shutting down.

Folks, we've been through all this before. See How to disable auto door LOCK? In particular, note the post by Phil near the bottom of the first page, where he shows what Service can do with their Consult tool.

I have mine set not to lock automatically, which means they will usually be unlocked if I stop to let someone on or off. If my copilot has gotten antsy and locked the doors, then it's her problem to unlock them if she wants me to let her off. I did leave them to unlock automatically at power off.

Ray

I'll check, I did mine in consult a while ago and there are many options, none listed, it is all experimenting with the options.

I think you need to check your owner's manual. For most cars, something has to happen for the doors to lock. These days most cars will automatically lock the doors once started and in motion and unlock when parked and ignition is turned off.

KellyROlsen said:
I've got a 2013 and the manual indicates that the auto-UNlock can be deactivated by holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds. This only means that when the car is tuned off, you must manually unlock the doors. This does not help those, like me, that want to keep the doors from auto-locking. It ends up being the same. You still have to unlock the odor to get out, and now even when the car is in the off position.

Nothing in there about turning the auto-lock function off, which is what I'd like to do.

Planet4Ever correctly corrected me. I was able to do the procedure and you can make the doors stop from auto locking. If you lock the car or the passenger locks the car and you have the car in drive or park and they want to get out they have to unlock the door.

I'd like it to unlock when the car is turned off IF I had locked the door, which is not an option, unless I got this wrong as well. So you just have to decide which of these scenarios works considering the confines of what is actually possible.

I know this probably sounds a little silly. Fretting over how our auto door locks work. Jeez, too much time on our hands. I need to focus on the fact that I've got a bitchin' all electric car!

jpcvb said:
ILLETRIC is right this feature is ridiculous and very annoying, each time you want to exit you have to unlock the door and (never thought of it) would be very dangerous in an accident indeed ... you would be hurt not only by the accident but probably by the window smashed in your face ... when survival depends on "time" you don't want to add any delays to your rescue ... but I never think about accidents or "bad neighborhoods" but only annoyed by it ...
I think the reasoning behind autolock is that the doors are less likely to pop open in an accident. That helps the structural integrity of the passenger compartment. It also prevents passengers from being ejected, a major cause of death in severe crashes — contrary to popular belief, one is much safer inside the car — although wearing seat belts should prevent ejection.

As for the nuisance value of having to unlock the doors when I pick up my carpool partner or stop to get the mail (my mailbox is two and a half miles from my house), I just learned to punch the unlock button. I now do it automatically, so it isn't really a nuisance.

I'd like to have the dealer make the doors unlock when I hit Park, but where I live a trip to the dealer would be way more trouble than it is worth (and just trying to explain what I wanted would be difficult).

As for being hurt by the window being smashed by rescuers, that is ridiculous. Cars have been using safety glass for many decades. It breaks into tiny chunks ... like the bits of glass you see on roads after an accident.

Back