Atlanta L3 charging stations almost here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtoro

The Atlantic Station mixed use development in downtown Atlanta on 17th street, announced they chose to install two level 3 charging stations very soon, maybe even within a month.

They are still deciding if and how much to charge the customers; it is possible that initially, the service will be provided for free.

:mrgreen:

amtoro said:
The Atlantic Station mixed use development in downtown Atlanta on 17th street, announced they chose to install two level 3 charging stations very soon, maybe even within a month.
Awesome! I will fly down the HOT Lane with my Peach Pass to give it a try :D . Actually I will drive ECO to get there and if it is working I will charge and fly home! Even if I have to pay!

Can't wait to move to GA! Though that has been put on hold since our house sale fell through at the last minute 'cause the buyer lost his job.

I live far to the west of Atlanta, downtown will be a perfect stop when going to visit friends on the other side or just going to the Mall of Georgia :D

Saw the article on AJC.com that the installation will be done today around noon. Great move by Atlantic Station, and to top it off, they are solar powered. Can't wait to try it out...in November.

dbassett said:
Saw the article on AJC.com that the installation will be done today around noon. Great move by Atlantic Station, and to top it off, they are solar powered. Can't wait to try it out...in November.

I found this article... http://www.ajc.com/news/electric-car-charging-station-1151868.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't think it sounds like a L3 (quick charge / CHAdeMO) charging station. More likely the L2 EVSE station. based on this very last sentence:

"Its new charging station will be able to charge the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf in three to seven hours."

**Edited**

The AJC mentions three charging stations unveiled today, those sound like L2. The ones I mentioned are featured in the Atlantic station website, but now, looking closely, they might have backed out of their own plans and installed L2's.

There was no mention of the connector or protocol used, but they mentioned a cost north of $20,000 per station; that would have been a L3.

I count 18 solar panels powering the station(s) so that could drive up the cost. I plan to head down there tonight or this weekend to check it out first hand.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/15340067/first-electric-car-charging-station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stopped by Atlantic Station on my way home and checked out the new charging station. It is just off 17th St past the TWELVE Hotel in a small make-shift parking lot. It has a south facing canopy of 18 solar panels (190 Watts each) and three ClipperCreek charging stations. I think they are all model DS-100, although I can't find that on their website. They had a keypad and a small sign telling you what code to type in to activate. I assume some device will be added to accept payment at a later date.

I worked for the parent company of TWELVE Hotel when it was being built, so I was proud to see the first solar charging station just steps from there. Can't wait until I can grab lunch there and charge my Leaf using the sun's rays.

amtoro said:

You Suck. (joke)

amtoro said:
$3 for 3.3 kW of electricity? :shock:

It is actually about 3.7 kWh of energy in an hour's time. However, many of the public charging stations going in will be able to deliver 6.6 kW for the next generation of vehicles. so that would be almost 7 kWh for $3 when those cars pull up to charge...

Here in San Diego, depending on the site, it could very well end up costing the host more than $3 for that amount of energy.

It will be very interesting to see what the prices shake out at ultimately. Will the businesses subsidize some or all of the cost as a customer attraction, or will they try to cover their costs for the EVSEs (if any), the energy and the EVSP fees?

Randy

Back