As of December 1st incentives....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a call yesterday from the sales manager of my Nissan dealership where I got my Leaf, asking me if I knew anyone who wanted a Leaf because Nissan had kicked in incentive cash and he could make a good deal for someone on a 2012 Leaf. It seems like a good time to get one!

got a call yesterday from the sales manager of my Nissan dealership where I got my Leaf, asking me if I knew anyone who wanted a Leaf because Nissan had kicked in incentive cash and he could make a good deal for someone on a 2012 Leaf. It seems like a good time to get one!
Purchase or Lease...or both? I'm waiting to see if any really good lease rates are available, if not I'll wait for a 2013 model.

lot of questions there brg2290....

Yes the $8025 is a lease rebate the essentially makes it way to cap reduction. Also the rebates vary from region to region and are married to YOUR zip code. So if you buy a LEAF from New York and their rebates are $15,000 you still can only use whatever rebates are available to you. However there are DEALER incentives that are married to dealerships, so if your local dealership/region doesn't have anything special you can go out of state/area to a dealer that does and they will use the rebates that are married to you, and the incentives that are married to them.

Lease math is far too complicated to try and explain easy enough, but basically Nissan takes a guess as to what the LEAF is going to be worth in 2-3-4 years and they base it off of that. For example they *guess* that your LEAF with an MSRP of $37k is going to be worth $21k in 2 years, that $16k difference is what you pay monthly. However you subtract the $8000 rebate, $1600 msrp to invoice, the $1000 hold back so you are paying $5400 for the 2 years. After that though you need to add tax, title, registration, ect... back in which is how you get your monthly payment.

No one ever got back to me about the dealer cash being able to be used on the lease, but I am standing firm by the 'probably not' option since using the above example of math you'd be paying $10 a month for the lease haha. However look back to the first paragraph, if there are any incentives that are married to the dealership you bought from they can be negotiated in.

Holdback you can google, but short version is it is money that Nissan (or any franchise) pays to the dealership immediatly after a sale. Yes this can be negotiated in on either a purchase or lease.

Yes the $7500 goes to Nissan Corp, and yes that is where the bulk of the lease rebate comes from. Check your local place for specifics, but the money offered in lease cash is the money, can't get anything more.

Dealerships likely to make a zero profit deal...they really prefer not to, but they need to sell cars. They might make $0 on you, but it might be the counter they need to get an extra $300 per car x40 cars which will make it in their best interest to sell you a $0 profit deal rather than letting you walk. However getting them down to the zero profit area is rough and time consuming which is why I've been posting the details on how to ask for the proper numbers ;)

Can't fill in the blanks for your example, because the $5500 dealer cash won't apply. Also again figuring the math on a generic lease is far from that simple ;) You can look at the above example I posted for a rough idea, but it is fairly complicated to figure it out.

Lot of wording, didn't reread it cause my head hurts (typed this all out and hit my back button and had to rewrite it haha) so if any is confusing or typos sorry just reask lol.

KayserNissan said:
lot of questions there brg2290....

Lot of wording, didn't reread it cause my head hurts (typed this all out and hit my back button and had to rewrite it haha) so if any is confusing or typos sorry just reask lol.
Joe, hello.
Yes, I did have a lot of questions. Leasing is a foreign subject to me, yet the consensus regarding the Leaf and the new technology combination for Nissan of EV and batteries seems to point to leasing. Anyway, a big Thank You! for answering them alll. And an especially big thank you for answering them twice given the technology snafu!
Gary

updated main post, just got handed down the word that there is a bonus $1050 lease cash bringing it to $9,075 lease cash which should bring lease payments back down into the low 200s for an SV and mid 200s for an SL with $0 down. This is for the midwest region though, not sure what is going on elsewhere!

Happy shopping!

The 5500 cash back is tipping the scale towards purchasing over leasing. Does Nissan have any financing programs at the moment (cashback, 0 percent financing, etc)?

waLeaf said:
Is the lease rebates always based on MSRP or can the base price be negotiated?
As per Joe:
LEAF is going to be worth in 2-3-4 years and they base it off of that. For example they *guess* that your LEAF with an MSRP of $37k is going to be worth $21k in 2 years, that $16k difference is what you pay monthly. However you subtract the $8000 rebate, $1600 msrp to invoice...

bsh said:
The 5500 cash back is tipping the scale towards purchasing over leasing. Does Nissan have any financing programs at the moment (cashback, 0 percent financing, etc)?

Cashback no, at least in my region (well I guess yes, because technically that $5500 is dealer cash back that we can pass on to you).

Financing...money is cheap right now, 1.49-1.99% for 72 months isn't hard to get your hands on BMO Harris has some good programs, there is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union that can be used by the public that I've seen folks pull 1.49% from on new cars. Google "PenFed 1.49" and there should be a PDF that pops up as the first link.

As far as if Nissan is offering anything directly to the public...no. You just need your sales guy to do his homework for you you, and or take the notes out of here and show him how you want to buy the car haha.

Thanks for the assist on the other question there too brg, the initial payments are calculated off of MSRP, the discount (hold back, incentives, dealer cash, msrp->invoice) is factored into your monthly payments by dragging down the difference between MSRP and what the "residual" value (residual value = Nissan's guess as to what your car will be worth)

Tempting to buy now. But still getting some really good lease deals. The latest one is:

$262 a month for 24/months 12,000 miles. (including tax and other fees)
0 down and 0 at signing and zero first payment.

With that the cost of the lease is only about $6000 for two years, it makes a really good case for leasing.

electricd,

care to share which dealers in fl you've gotten good deals on leases from? I'm in the central fl area and have started shopping around, but I wouldn't mind a drive. It could help with my negotiations.

thanks!

Do you know if there is a dealer incentive that has expired?
The reason I ask is several people have gotten 0 down/$234 @24 months in the GA area. I've called those dealerships and they've sold out of cars. They told me they'd have cars in next week and they'd call me back.

I spoke with another dealership with five cars on the lot. The best they'd do was $270 @36 months. I explained what other are offering and they flat out said it was impossible. They'd be taking a $3k loss. They mentioned Nissan offering a 3 for 1 incentive for dealerships which has expired and this was a possible reason for the disparity. They said when/if the other dealership gets vehicles in they will not give me the $234 rate at 24 months.

So is the dealership with vehicles jerking me around? On one hand I think they are because the other dealerships have sold their whole inventory(5+ cars) in the last two weeks. I pass by the dealership with leafs on the lot often and I haven't seen any of their cars move. On the other hand there may be some truth to the 3 for 1 offer expiring. Right not I'm thinking of waiting a week and see if the dealerships get more inventory in.

Thoughts?

-Bill

not around here. I see about 20 of the $199 lease deals on TV every time i watch football game. so it was around last Sunday. betting it will be around this one as well

I think Conyers Nissan had an offer out there until the end of December.....something like $3,295 up front and $99/month......I believe they said they would do an SL @ $252/m $0 down 24 months...they also have some SV's coming in on 12/27/12 which would be less.

gergg said:
I think Conyers Nissan had an offer out there until the end of December.....something like $3,295 up front and $99/month......I believe they said they would do an SL @ $252/m $0 down 24 months...they also have some SV's coming in on 12/27/12 which would be less.
Video on their web is interesting. It includes (AFAIK) a few pieces of misinformation ... "rear sonar system" ??? Never heard of that ... "push button ignition" ??? Hmmm ... where's that gasoline to ignite ? :lol: But for $99/month all is forgiven ;)

Video on their web is interesting. It includes (AFAIK) a few pieces of misinformation ... "rear sonar system" ??? Never heard of that ... "push button ignition" ??? Hmmm ... where's that gasoline to ignite ? But for $99/month all is forgiven
I went and looked on their website a few minutes ago and the LEAF "special" is no longer listed, wait, it wasn't Conyers Nissan that has the SV's coming in, it is Stone Mountain Nissan, talk to David, I was negotiating with them so I'm fairly certain those 3 SV's are coming in on 12/27, if you want one of those I'd call right now and get a deal on one before they're gone too.

gergg said:

I talked to Suthenlin Nissan today and they are offering SLs @ 224+tx/m, $0 down 24 months until Jan 3rd. Suthenlin is a bit out of the way for me but Regal Nissan was quoting 264+tx on a 39 month. They didn't even quote a 24 because the monthly was so high.

That Sutherlin deal sounds real good, I wonder if there is any money due at signing, if not then that is about as good as I've seen around here.

Back