As a paying customer, why don't you get lost? !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
One thing I didn't fully understand was the manager's initial statement "that since the Hotel lost its contract with Nissan of North America, the units sit idle most of the time."
Was Nissan paying the hotel to provide these units under their No Charge to Charge program?
Have they always been free?

The units have always been free from the get go many years ago. Nothing to do with no charge to charge. The hotel was at one time Nissan's preferred hotel for their hospitality needs. They had a stretched limo LEAF at one time, presumably to ferry important Nissan visitors to/from the airport. They are no longer the preferred hotel and EV usage of their charging spots has dropped off significantly. I believe the Nissan contract was the reason they installed 5 units.

I sign a contract with the Holiday Inn Vanderbilt each year for my professional organization, AITP. We commit to a minimum business volume in return for guaranteed meeting space each month. Contracts are common in the hospitality business to establish service levels and other commercial terms.

JPWhite said:
The units have always been free from the get go
What does that mean? Free to use, or free to install. Who paid for the units, who paid for the installation, who pays for the maintenance?

On another line of thought, if the hotel feel they have been stitched up by Nissan by dropping a contract, might explain a bias against Leaf's? :?:

donald said:
JPWhite said:
The units have always been free from the get go
What does that mean? Free to use, or free to install. Who paid for the units, who paid for the installation, who pays for the maintenance?

On another line of thought, if the hotel feel they have been stitched up by Nissan by dropping a contract, might explain a bias against Leaf's? :?:

Free to use. They were early units, my guess is the EV Project probably picked up the tab as well.

So did the hotel pay for them, or was there some deal in return for some level of charging delivery?

In UK there has been a scheme where chargers have been installed at hotels and the like, just the same, but the stipulation is that they shall be in a place accessible by the public.

donald said:
So did the hotel pay for them, or was there some deal in return for some level of charging delivery?

In UK there has been a scheme where chargers have been installed at hotels and the like, just the same, but the stipulation is that they shall be in a place accessible by the public.

Since these units offer free charging to any Blink user (rather than the customary $1/hr) I would hazard a guess the Hotel pays a monthly fee for maintenance/support since that cannot be funded by a revenue share from the units.

You raise an interesting point. I'm pretty sure these were part of the EV Project and therefore publicly funded, probably 100% publicly funded. There maybe an argument that public access should therefore be made available, but when units are placed on private property things can get murky since parking is private and not part of any actual or implied easement. Although there maybe a case for public access, I wouldn't use it as leverage to force my position, no point in being a prigg. I may have the 'right' to charging whenever and however long I want at those units thanks to public funding, I just can't park there. Maybe if I got a reeeealllyyy looong extension cord :twisted:

This triggered another thought while I was thinking about this. As EV commuters in the US we find that the vast majority of EV charging stations are on private property, so the infrastructure isn't really available on an unfettered basis. EV's really are therefore limited to the return mileage on a single charge unless you enjoy workplace charging or easy access to QC units. The EV project did place a large proportion of its units in retail locations and did not approach many workplaces. I suppose it made them appear too be more accessible to the public and a better use of public money.

Back