Are there J-1772 stations at the Sacramento airport?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
I have news. I just spoke with the planner who has been working on the EV charging situation here at SMF. He told me that May 1st, 12 new Clipper Creek L2's will be put into service in the parking garage. The plan is to leave the SPI's in place and add a 3rd if you will charger. This will allow for SPI, AVCON and J1772. The way the signage and parking spaces are laid out, there could potentially be three ev's charging next to each other. No EV Charging only signs on the adjacent spots. Tesla owners can use their adapters, RAV4 owners will have SPI's, and the rest of us will have the J1772. The chargers will all be located close to tower B (closer to terminal A not terminal B) in a group on each floor of the garage. The next effort they are taking on is adding L1 at all of the bus shelters in the economy lot. I'll update if I find out more. :D

Thanks for the update. That would be fantastic.

OK Folks! Here it is. Twelve shiny new Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE's at the airport. Just waiting to give away some juice. Two on each floor of the parking garage.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/rawshog/52b19d65.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rawhog said:
OK Folks! Here it is. Twelve shiny new Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE's at the airport. Just waiting to give away some juice. Two on each floor of the parking garage.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/rawshog/52b19d65.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great news. I would try these in couple of weeks. Thanks for the update.

Argh! I just booked another SFO trip. Had I only known...

Oh well, future trips will be SMF based. Thanks!

How does this work in practice? I usually leave for 3-4 day trips - if I park in one of these spaces, plug my car in, then it becomes unavailable for days, even though my car will be done in a few hours. I'd hate to do that - seems so inefficient!

Anybody else use the Sac airport chargers yet? Was your Leaf plugged in the whole time you were gone?

Visual said:
How does this work in practice? I usually leave for 3-4 day trips - if I park in one of these spaces, plug my car in, then it becomes unavailable for days, even though my car will be done in a few hours. I'd hate to do that - seems so inefficient!
Many folks leave a note on their windshield with the date and time after which you give anyone permission to unplug you. This should work as long as they have laid out the chargers so multiple cars can share each charger. You may wish to use the "official" note:

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf

Of course for multiple-day trips it is most courteous to use L1, but if only L2 is available, I would use it with the note.

Thanks, tbleakne !
Allowing someone to unplug my car as long as its charged makes sense - hopefully I won't come back at 11pm to a partially charged car!

I think the spaces are going to be the bigger issue - only 1 spot is marked as EV parking, so if the adjacent ones are taken by ICEs, then the next EV owner is out of luck.

But, its still major progress - the airport is at the hairy edge of my range, and trundling along in turtle mode after a long day of flying from the East Coast is not very appealing, so this will definitely help.

As shown in the pictures I posted, the chargers are two on a post. The cords are long enough to reach an adjacent spot. So, you could potential line up four Ev's side by side and share. This is times 6 floors. That is quite a bit of available charging. Also note, the airport has NOT posted signage that would make us susceptible to the Chevy Volt law regarding charger sharing.

Back