April Deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdub said:
Yeah - floor mats and splash guards. But I'm having Fontana add kickplates and rear bumper protector. But that shouldn't hold em up.

Well, mine's been waiting at the port for 2 weeks (update done 4/19) and I don't have accessories at all, so don't hold your breath. At least you're local, mine's going to WA. It'll be on rail to Portland then truck to Seattle. But it's been waiting to be loaded at Long Beach for 2 weeks and no one can tell me why it's waiting that long......

IBELEAF said:
lonndoggie said:
I'm looking at it as I'll be saving money not buying gas, by buying a Leaf, vs. buying some similarly-priced ICE car.

And I'd be right about that.

If you currently have a perfectly running used car then you are not saving any money by buying a new car regardless of it being EV or not. With EV you may not be paying for gas, but you are paying some premium for it in comparison to equivalent gas car. (In my case I would've purchased gas car for $17k) So, you maybe right about not buying gas, but at the same time your are wrong thinking that you are saving money with EV. Which is what that article was about...

I'll STILL be saving money, in my situation. I agree that for the author of the story (and you, apparently), that financially it doesn't make sense. However, his condition isn't everyone's, which you implied:
I don't get it why do people primarily look at EVs thinking they can save money by not buying gas... you are obviously not really saving anything, at least not in the short term.
Unlike the author, I was already looking to buy a car in roughly the $22-26K range. The Leaf, with the CA rebate and tax credit is at the lower end of that range. Versus the kinds of cars I was considering, I WILL save money on fuel costs, AND I will spend about the same amount on the purchase (less than for some). I'll also save on maintenance, too, so, given that I was in the market for a new car anyway, I will be saving money by virtue of selecting an EV.

And...anyone who buys a Leaf WILL spend less on "fuel" than anyone with any vintage car (unless they have one that gets 100MPG or so). Will they save money overall? No. Maybe in the long run, if they own the Leaf long enough and battery replacement doesn't swamp the maintenance costs they'd have paid maintaining their aging ICE (which could be a close call, I'll bet). But only time will tell on that.

Everyone's situation will be different because we have to take into account a lot of variables, so if you think that Leaf is saving you money that's great news, but it's not going to be the case for most people. I knew that I would be paying a premium (around $12k) by getting a Leaf and it would never pay off on gas savings unless the price goes to $10 and if it does, it doesn't matter if you own EV or not because everyone will suffer... So, I had different reasons to justify the purchase and I am okay with that.

IBELEAF said:
Everyone's situation will be different because we have to take into account a lot of variables, so if you think that Leaf is saving you money that's great news, but it's not going to be the case for most people. I knew that I would be paying a premium (around $12k) by getting a Leaf and it would never pay off on gas savings unless the price goes to $10 and if it does, it doesn't matter if you own EV or not because everyone will suffer... So, I had different reasons to justify the purchase and I am okay with that.
The Leaf has to be a super great buy IF you can live with the range. $32,780 - $7500 credit - $5000 rebate - #12,000 premium = $8280. What car were you planning on buying at that price? And that's not even considering the fuel and maintenance savings. I can't imagine a better buy.

Yes, everyone's situation is unique. Here is how I calculate the benefit of owning a LEAF in California (obviously it is a simplified calculation as many of you might point out, but I think it will make the point) :

I have a 5 year old Hyundai Sonata V6 with 100K miles (so 20K miles/year), a great car with no problem for the past 5 years, the current residual value is ~ 7000$ and I could still use for another 5 years and another 100K miles(let's assume) and with zero value left then. During this additional 5 years ownership, the fuel cost (assumption - 25miles/gallon for Sonata, 4 dollar/G gas) will be 16000$, and the cost for routine and major maintenance is ~5 year x 1000$/year=5000$, so the total cost of owning and operating this old 5 year vehicle for another 5 years is approximately 7000+16000+5000=28000$.

Or I can get a LEAF and pay the 37.5K$ (Tax,other charges, fees included) - 7500 (fed) -5000 (CA)= 25K. With 5 years, the fuel cost(assumption - 4 cents/mile for LEAF and 100K miles) will be 4000$, the maintenance is ~5x200=1000$, and the residual value after 5 years will be $10K(assume), so the total cost of owning and operating this BRAND NEW, environment friendly vehicle for 5 years will be 15K (depreciation 25K-10K) + 4000 +1000 = 20000$.

So for me this is a great deal on all fronts.

SanDust said:
The Leaf has to be a super great buy IF you can live with the range. $32,780 - $7500 credit - $5000 rebate - #12,000 premium = $8280. What car were you planning on buying at that price? And that's not even considering the fuel and maintenance savings. I can't imagine a better buy.

We are kind of topic here already, but if you want to know... I wasn't planning to buy any car, we had practically new 08 Sentra with 30k miles that I would've kept for many years if I didn't get Leaf. So there are really no savings by selling off already efficient enough car to get Leaf. My reasoning for LEAF purchase were I wanted to support the new technology, support green living and reduce oil dependency. We still have SUV for longer trips, but I wouldn't have purchased Leaf if it would be the only car in the household.

lzendle said:
smkettner said:
Well I am two weeks past my day so I called CS for the first time.
My car is on hold for accessories. :(
Same line, but my only accessories are floor mats!
The "on hold for accessories" line is made-up BS.

Just like everything else that comes from Nissan's elite team of customer service agents.

They get monthly updates printed on wet toilet paper, and instructions to "make up the rest".

Oh I just figured that is the scripted answer for a first time caller. I expected no less.
For those that call several times a week CS must mark the account to start with the good stuff :lol:

I call whenever I'm bored. The constant stream of random misinformation keeps me confident that they know nothing and we're all just waiting for the truck to show up.

scharlj said:
cdub said:
Yeah - floor mats and splash guards. But I'm having Fontana add kickplates and rear bumper protector. But that shouldn't hold em up.

Well, mine's been waiting at the port for 2 weeks (update done 4/19) and I don't have accessories at all, so don't hold your breath. At least you're local, mine's going to WA. It'll be on rail to Portland then truck to Seattle. But it's been waiting to be loaded at Long Beach for 2 weeks and no one can tell me why it's waiting that long......

Same here, except mine had the update done Apr. 15th. Now, they say it is getting the accs. installed. They also said mine wasn't one of the 'pollen' ones. Didn't these arrive in LB end of March?

Back