Apparently, I'm the only one seeing these.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foobert

leaf_flatbed.jpg

Let be clear: I'm not being snarky here. I'm legitimately wondering why I see so many Leaf's on the back of flatbeds or on the side of freeways?

Am I just more observant for a Leaf than for other cars?

I'm sure the GOM is largely to blame. Based on having plates and carpool stickers, this person has had their car plenty long enough to have learned that the GOM != range.

I've never once had nail-biting drive wondering if I was going to make it. Granted, I actually enjoy the mental gymnastics it takes to plan and execute my trip according to available charge.

But, the naysayers see this and put another bullet in their magazine...

EDIT: Changed title: Did not intend for it to be incendiary. Apparently I'm just very lucky to have spotted ~6 in a bit less than 4 months.

Also, I had totally forgotten about the no spare tire issue when originally posting. Except for the 1 pictured above, I was unable to inspect the others to see if tire damage could have been to blame.

ericsf said:
This photo is the first time I see a LEAF on a flatbed. Seriously.

Ditto for me, first time Seeing a leaf and I am here in Texas. You know, cars breakdown for other reasons than gom??lol Maybe it is wrecked on other side, towed for illegal parking, repoed etc, etc, etc.

Ian B

After a little over two months ownership have yet to see ONE other LEAF on the road, on a flatbed or under its own power (only exception would be a demo at dealer) ... of course it's still winter and limited sales out here in Chicago ... on the other hand have seen a Volt on a flatbed but it had out of state plates on it so assume it was being 'relocated' (had NY plates), went by too fast otherwise would have taken a quick photo

I wish I could make that same claim but I've seen two of them to date in the southern California Los Angeles area off of the 405 freeway in the Sepulveda Pass...

ericsf said:

me three, I have yet to see a Leaf on a flat bed or side of the road and that's after putting in over 12,000 leaf miles on our own.

MrIanB said:
ericsf said:

Ditto for me, first time Seeing a leaf and I am here in Texas. You know, cars breakdown for other reasons than gom??lol Maybe it is wrecked on other side, towed for illegal parking, repoed etc, etc, etc.

Ian B

I have never seen a Leaf in the wild other than myself driving the demo's. Nor has anyone else I have interacted with while driving the Leaf. I have seen 1 other Volt though (in a grocery store parking lot), and that was it.

It would certaintly be ashame to see a Leaf on a flatbed. Unfortunately people are bound to push the limits eventually, and that is to be expected with electrics in their infancy (at least in large amounts in the publics hands). Unfortunately it will be sights like these that make the masses think these cars "are not ready."

I've never seen a LEAF by the side of the road or on a flatbed. I drive in the LA/Orange County areas and I see another LEAF at least daily, often more than one, and they are all zooming silently along.

Foobert, how many times have you seen this type of thing, actually? What is your definition of common? By your comments, it appears that you are genuinely concerned, but in my opinion, posting with a title such as this may have the effect of inflaming the exact opinion that you say that you want to avoid being circulated. I've seen public blogs flare up based on threads on this board, and you may be working counter to your own stated goals.

I am in the East Bay of the Bay Area (Northern California) and I see quite a few LEAFs driving around. I have yet to see one stopped on the side of the road or on a flatbed.

I don't push my car to the limits like some people so I hope to never be the one that gets spotted. With that being said I see three possible options for the person in the phoeo:
1. They pushed the limits and didn't make it.
2. They didn't plan ahead and got stuck going too far.
3. Something unrelated to a dead battery caused the car to get stuck and they are getting towed to get fixed.

As long as it is 1 or 2 they are happy they don't own a Tesla ;)

[Disclaimer: I like Teslas]

MrIanB said:
ericsf said:
Maybe it is wrecked on other side, towed for illegal parking, repoed etc, etc, etc.

Not wrecked. No flat tires. Prolly not repossessed or illegally parked since the distressed looking passenger in the tow truck (who wasn't wearing the towing company's uniform) was frantically mashing buttons on his cell phone and trying to get a hold of someone. You don't get to ride along with your car for either of those offenses.

I guess I'll start snapping more photo's. I can't say it happens ever week, but, I can count at least half a dozens Leafs in tow or on the side of the freeway since I've been paying attention for the last 4 months or so.

foobert said:
MrIanB said:
ericsf said:
Maybe it is wrecked on other side, towed for illegal parking, repoed etc, etc, etc.

Not wrecked. No flat tires. Prolly not repossessed or illegally parked since the distressed looking passenger in the tow truck (who wasn't wearing the towing company's uniform) was frantically mashing buttons on his cell phone and trying to get a hold of someone. You don't get to ride along with your car for either of those offenses.

I guess I'll start snapping more photo's. I can't say it happens ever week, but, I can count at least half a dozens Leafs in tow or on the side of the freeway since I've been paying attention for the last 4 months or so.

Wow, that does sound like a lot. I haven't heard any reports of it happening down south here. Lots of LEAFs in San Diego County, too, but nobody here has reported seeing any "unintentionally parked".

Boomer23 said:
By your comments, it appears that you are genuinely concerned, but in my opinion, posting with a title such as this may have the effect of inflaming the exact opinion that you say that you want to avoid being circulated. I've seen public blogs flare up based on threads on this board, and you may be working counter to your own stated goals.

I am genuinely concerned. I'm only <4 months into ownership, which is when I really started paying attention. I can count at least half a dozen stranded or towed Leafs.

Point well taken on causing unintended inflammation. And in all fairness, I also see far more Leafs motoring along on their own power than I see otherwise. My office is on HWY 237 and I count them going by in the carpool lanes during meetings. One half hour meeting, I got up to 5!

Randy said:
Did it have plates? It could be a dealer delivery...
As stated in my origanal post:
"Based on having plates and carpool stickers, this person has had their car plenty long enough to have learned ..."

ericsf said:
Plenty of LEAFs in Portland OR area, there are nearly a dozen LEAFs at my workplace, I see one about every other day on the street. I have never seen one on a flatbed or the side of the road. Either Oregonians are smarter than SoCal people when it comes to the GOM, <i>foobert</i> has seen every one that has been stranded...or maybe both.

I havent seen any in Seattle, except for myself and that was
Feb 2011, when I had the car for just a month and there was no
reserve on empty (= 0 bars).
I dont think this is a common sight here.

padamson1 said:
Either Oregonians are smarter than SoCal people when it comes to the GOM, <i>foobert</i> has seen every one that has been stranded...or maybe both.

PLEASE! If you're going to call out Californians, please properly discriminate. :lol: Foobert lives in San Jose, which is in Nor Cal. Nobody from So Cal has reported this issue. :D

I live in the southern end of San Jose and work downtown SJ. My datacenter is right off the 237 and Fair Oaks so I drive up that way a few times a week in my black Leaf (the one with a Toothless HTTYD sticker on the side, if you've seen me pass your window). I've not seen a single leaf stranded or on a towtruck yet, and I've been watching.

I think you may just have exceptional luck spotting the exceptionally unlucky or something :)

Back