Anyone receive their free AV EVSE-RS charging dock?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kporangehat

Hi all,

We purchased our first Leaf SV w/ LED QC at Zeigler Nissan Gurnee (IL) on 12/29/14. The dealer filled out the paperwork with me for the free L2 charging dock while I was there and emailed it to Nissan. They say it's supposed to take 2 weeks to arrive but I'm sure the holidays caused a little more delay. We're anxiously waiting for it. We've been using the ChargePoints at the local Walgreens in the meantime which isn't as convenient or cost-effective. And our 120v outlets at our house can't handle the charge (the walls start buzzing). Once we get the AV unit, we'll have the electrician install it, the proper breakers, and some backup outlets that can handle the juice in case the L2 ever goes down.

So I'm curious if anyone else received theirs and how long it took between purchase and delivery of the AV unit?

Also, I emailed Nissan and they said the actual unit they send is the EVSE-RS hard-wired version with the 25' cable. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

It's probably drop shipped from AV. I would give them a call and see if they can shed any light on the situation. Have you called your dealer? Maybe they were supposed to submit some paperwork and failed to do it expediently.

You're actually right. I now remember Nissan said the unit would come directly from AV. Good idea... I'll try and get in touch with them.

Would still love to know if anyone else had had any action on this front though!

I purchased my Leaf SV on December 12th, and the EVSE just arrived this week. So at least for me it took around a month. It is the hardwired unit and although I didn't uncoil the cable to check, it looks like it is probably the 25' one.

Purchased Leaf on Dec 30th, 2014. Still waiting for free EVSE. Dealer claims they submitted everything. Have you had any luck contacting AV?

AndyGT02 said:
How do you get a free EVSE? :shock:

Is it a regional thing?
Yes, it was a very limited time deal available in certain markets. This was the deal: http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-level-2-charger-giveaway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It wasn't very widely publicized.I found when I was shopping that half the dealers weren't even aware of it. I had to tell my dealer about it before I agreed to purchase from them. Unlike a lot of the incentives though, this one seems to have actually bee terminated as of Jan 2, 2015. Or at least I can no longer find any current info about it.

vectorcatch said:
Purchased Leaf on Dec 30th, 2014. Still waiting for free EVSE. Dealer claims they submitted everything. Have you had any luck contacting AV?
I haven't had a chance to call AV yet unfortunately. I'll follow up here when I do though.

Sorry, I was out of town last week, but called AV on Friday and they were incredibly nice and helpful. The rep said he'd be happy to look up my info and found that my unit had been shipped that morning and is scheduled for delivery Weds 1/28. He then called me back again today to follow up and check if I had any more questions. I got the tracking number and he confirmed that the unit is the hard-wired version with the 25' cable. I just got an update from UPS that the shipment will arrive a day early too.

So @vectorcatch, since you bought your Leaf the day after me, if you haven't already received it, yours will probably arrive this week. Based on this very small sample, it seems like the actual turnaround time is about 4 weeks from vehicle purchase.

Now I have to figure out with my electrician how we're going to install this thing. Our setup isn't ideal :|

kporangehat said:
Sorry, I was out of town last week, but called AV on Friday and they were incredibly nice and helpful. The rep said he'd be happy to look up my info and found that my unit had been shipped that morning and is scheduled for delivery Weds 1/28. He then called me back again today to follow up and check if I had any more questions. I got the tracking number and he confirmed that the unit is the hard-wired version with the 25' cable. I just got an update from UPS that the shipment will arrive a day early too.

So @vectorcatch, since you bought your Leaf the day after me, if you haven't already received it, yours will probably arrive this week. Based on this very small sample, it seems like the actual turnaround time is about 4 weeks from vehicle purchase.

Now I have to figure out with my electrician how we're going to install this thing. Our setup isn't ideal :|

Just have your electrician add a pig tail on your evse and the matching wall outlet and then it would be a portable (detachable) unit instead of a hard wired one.

vsiev said:
Just have your electrician add a pig tail on your evse and the matching wall outlet and then it would be a portable (detachable) unit instead of a hard wired one.

I'm a newb with this stuff so I'm not really sure what that is. I've seen references to pigtails in the forums but could use a beginners explanation. And how "legit" are they in terms of safety, warrantee, and building codes?

Feel free to point me to somewhere to RTFM if there's a place I should go.

thanks.

(BTW... got my AV unit today :) )

I purchased my Leaf within that timeframe from a dealer in the Boston area. The article doesn't have any way to proceed with applying for the L2, nor can I find any additional info. Is this something I need to contact my dealer about? I'm positive they won't have a clue if I point them to some article.

kporangehat said:
Yes, if your wall was buzzing when you used the 120V emergency / convenience EVSE there is a lot to look at.

"Pigtail" term that people suggest is short inexpensive range cord that is sold at numerous hardware stores.

Adding it to a hard wired designed 240V EVSE does meet code in many places. The modified unit is no longer UL certified, but that is OK in a lot of areas.
You will have to discuss with the electrician on whether it is allowed where you live.

Most areas prefer plugged in because that serves as a code required means of local disconnect.
Can be done with hard wired unit by adding local disconnect, but that has not been the common practice.

A thirteen page thread that has lots of discussion of the issues is here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13158&hilit=+disconnect#p298921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyGT02 said:
I purchased my Leaf within that timeframe from a dealer in the Boston area. The article doesn't have any way to proceed with applying for the L2, nor can I find any additional info. Is this something I need to contact my dealer about? I'm positive they won't have a clue if I point them to some article.

That's annoying. I did find that half of the dealers I went to were unaware of this promotion and I had to tell them about it. In the end, my dealer contacted Nissan USA to find out more info about it and then after some effort, was able to obtain the information they needed and get the form they needed to submit. I would contact your dealer first and talk to them about it. Unfortunately Nissan has removed the info from their Facebook page that was the most "official" online record of it. But you can Google an exact phrase from any of that article's details section and find multiple references to it from other dealers as well to see if that helps make your case.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22offer+applies+to+all+new+MY2013+or+later+Nissan+LEAF+vehicles%22&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1916&bih=1076&ei=KwHJVNPzKYLpmQW87YHgBg&start=0&sa=N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that doesn't prove fruitful, I'd email the contact at Nissan USA that was in charge of handling this promotion. I don't want to post it publicly so try working with your dealer first and if that doesn't get any results, PM me.

Good luck!

Called AV on Friday and was told my charger was in the mail. I'm not sure if calling is a way to get it jump started or if it is coincidence.

Regardless, when I spoke to the rep at AV, I was told that they receive the forms in batches and that they received mine roughly 2 weeks ago even though I bought the car on 12/30. She made it sound like their was some other middleman. Oh well, at least I should have it in a couple of days.

If anyone is wondering where their evse is, I would recommend calling. It was surprisingly easy to get info.

Back