Any used LEAFs for sale yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aqn said:
tps said:
..., I believe the IRS is not that interested in what you intended to do during a tax year, but more interested in what you actually did...
I believe that's where we differ. I believe that the IRS is not interested in what one does with one's Leaf, period. It's not like people can take advantage of the tax credit and profit from it.

You are right, it's standard language. You must be the purchaser, have proof of purchase, and use the car and not sell it before use. That's it. They can't restrict you form changing your mind. This is a simple transaction and there rules are there to prevent extreme exploitation of the rules. If you own a business you know this is standard IRS stuff and I don't no why people are even concerned about this, it's getting as bad as the EVSE tax credit thread.

garygid said:
IF your purchase and resale were to be examined by the IRS, they would probably judge whether you had the INTENT to USE or RESELL at the time you made the purchase. My guess.

In general, I think, the IRS has a lot of "freedom" to interpret any vagueness in the rules.

Highly unlikely, there is noway to prove you bought it ti sell it and people change their minds on cars all the time, the rebate goes to the original buyer as long as the requirements are met, period. If you ship the car out of the country they may give you a hard time but selling it in the US is fully within your rights. The rules are there to keep people from abusing the system like exporting cars, and filing false claims which people do all the time. There is too much FUD on the tax credits.

mgoleta said:
It is likely that the interpretation the IRS would use is; the tax credit would reduce your basis in the vehicle. If you sell it for more that the basis you will owe capital gains tax in the sale.
Good point! I kinda knew that, but since I've never sold a car for a profit before :), I don't think much about it.

mgoleta said:
I think this thread has gotten off topic.
So is there any used LEAFs for sale yet?
Anybody know what they actually sold for?
I have a PM out to Reeler asking whether he had actually sold his Leaf (and for how much; no, I have no tact :) but you knew that already), or the rumor of its sales is just another Internet legend.

IF one person bought 3 LEAFs, even over 3 to 9 months, and each time "changed his mind" and sold them a day or two later to a stranger, the IRS might reasonably claim that he did not buy them for personal use, but rather he bought them for resale.

Not to necro a thread or anything (this was the most recently posted thread about used LEAFs)...

I saw this today;

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?vin=JN1AZ0CP0BT001432

VIN 1432, it is a used Silver Leaf with 590 miles. The dealer is asking $43,990. Almost $10k over brand new MSRP... wow.

Maybe someone is willing to pay that much. More power to them.

Just look at Mossy Nissan's website. They've got a bunch of used Leafs for sale.

Lowest price for an SL is around 30k with some options. I don't see why private parties should sell for much different from the dealers, personally. They know what they're doing. It is not as simple as pricing it with X price - Y rebate.

Back