Any regular Pizza or other delivery drivers with Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeattleBlue said:
Ebill3. Thanks for input. It seems strange to leave it at ready of idol. Waste of juice in my mind.

Back to original question. Are there any e-brake, starter, or other concerns about repeated or increased full turn on / off (which is not what I do at stop signs)...
:roll:
A few hundred watts for a few minutes doesn't seem like a lot of power to me. If you are leaving the car at ready for an hour that would be perhaps 0.25 kWh of electricity; you can figure out how much it costs in Seattle, where I live it would be 3¢.

By contrast, many cycles of the car's electronics per day seems like it would be more wear and tear on those systems and they would be very expensive to repair. Three pennies a day seems like little enough to pay to avoid cycling the car's electronics over and over.

JMHO, others likely know lots more about it than I do.

SeattleBlue said:
Ebill3. Thanks for input. It seems strange to leave it at ready of idol. Waste of juice in my mind.

Back to original question. Are there any e-brake, starter, or other concerns about repeated or increased full turn on / off (which is not what I do at stop signs)...
:roll:
I would have thought this was an area that EVs would shine at in this scenario. Not repeatedly cranking an ICE dozens of times a day.

I think this is one of the few niches other than car sharing where something like a Smart ED would prove popular, at least until curbside and/or workplace charging is ubiquitous. Shorter than the Leaf so easier to find a space to parallel park instead of having to double park, easier to make a u-turn in a narrow street without having to pull into people's driveways, plenty of space for pizzas/cupcakes etc. and driver, range is adequate, no idling. Depending on the size of the delivery area, you'd probably want an L2 at the business.

I am glad to hear this. Delivery vehicles of all types should be electric.

I have 23,000+ miles on my Leaf, and it doesn't seem to have any issues with a lot of cycles in any pattern. The one thing that does tend to happen when cycling the car on and off is the charge bar meter tends to drop when you are getting close to the bottom of a bar. Not a problem, but it is common. I agree that leaving the car "on" is likely the best thing to do, simply for ease of use. As for theft, if that is a concern, turn it off. When it isn't, leave it running.

I have often thought of getting a delivery job, just so I can drive the Leaf more!

There was an interesting story on NPR this morning, about a pizza delivery car getting stolen while the guy was dropping off at customer's house. He called his boss to let the next customer know that his pizza will be delayed, but interestingly that customer said his pizza was just delivered. Apparently the car thieves were delivering the pizzas themselves to make some extra money.

The cops were waiting on the next delivery location and apprehended them.

In province of Quebec , many restaurants "St-Hubert BBQ" (BBQ chicken) are now using some Leaf and Mitsubishi ImIev to deliver.

However you should be aware that the government of Quebec as an agreement with St-Hubert (and some other well established business) to add public charging station . So all VE owners in Quebec know that they can stop to St-Hubert, RONA Hardware, Metro Grocery stores and have their VE charged !

It was a logic step for St-Hubert to add a few more charging station and add VE to their fleet !

Seems to work great for chicken... Should be fine with pizza ! :)

mkjayakumar said:
There was an interesting story on NPR this morning, about a pizza delivery car getting stolen while the guy was dropping off at customer's house. He called his boss to let the next customer know that his pizza will be delayed, but interestingly that customer said his pizza was just delivered. Apparently the car thieves were delivering the pizzas themselves to make some extra money.

The cops were waiting on the next delivery location and apprehended them.

That was Chinese food being delivered.

Well. First 30 days! Just shy of 900 miles...

Avg 3.5 mile/kwh. Not great. Lots of hills and starts / stops.

Blissful really.

18 days of pizzdelivery without issue.

Saved a real $150 in fuel (net)... Which was exactly as planned!

One item very impressive...turning radius! Dime!

Range in full charge...75 is max this time of year. Accidental range "test"- 82 before turtle. Seattle to Fall City and back with some errands in between. Little stressful.

Love our Leaf!

SeattleBlue said:
Well. First 30 days! Just shy of 900 miles...

Avg 3.5 mile/kwh. Not great. Lots of hills and starts / stops.

Blissful really.

18 days of pizzdelivery without issue.

Saved a real $150 in fuel (net)... Which was exactly as planned!

One item very impressive...turning radius! Dime!

Range in full charge...75 is max this time of year. Accidental range "test"- 82 before turtle. Seattle to Fall City and back with some errands in between. Little stressful.

Love our Leaf!
What's your average distance traveled on a pizza delivery day (i.e., is it the same 20 miles you reported in your first post)? Would being able to charge between deliveries have ever been necessary/useful, or have the ranges never been an issue?

Only Parttime job...My stores schedule is great as I'm typically one of first reps off the road after busy rush times. If I was a "closer", I likely would have to charge.

Yes avg is 22 miles per day so far.

900 miles in 30 days pretty much means he is averaging 30 miles a day. I checked around and finally got someone who delivers pizza and he states he averages 50-70 miles a day in a 4 or 5 hour shift so guess it could easily be doable in the LEAF.

problem is all getting in and out if its raining will really fog up the windows

Yes...window fogging bites! I put heated bags in covered cargo area but still happens.

Carry towels. Stated on other thread...this is my only minor issue simply due to having to turn on / off defrost.

6 months of year around PAC NW.

I am the only 100% EV still in 23 stores. Many Prius or older little ice's

SeattleBlue said:
Yes...window fogging bites! I put heated bags in covered cargo area but still happens.

Carry towels. Stated on other thread...this is my only minor issue simply due to having to turn on / off defrost.

6 months of year around PAC NW.

I am the only 100% EV still in 23 stores. Many Prius or older little ice's

You know, when I was a kid and rode the school bus the drivers would just have these fans that blow air onto the windshield. Would something like that work? A fan that plugs into the 12V accessory plug that points at the windshield?

dont use towels, very bad idea. will get a streaky mess in no time.

get good quality squeegee. works best plus unless you have really long arms, windshield not so easy to reach. handle on squeegee really comes in handy for this.

the fan on windshield thing. i tried that last winter. used exact same fan that buses and semi's use. found that only works in concert with defrost. iow, still need that conditioned air. plus the fan was a 2 speed; fast and FAST.

designed for much larger windshield. all it really did was created a very cool breeze

Sometime in Jan., I'm thinking about applying for a newspaper route. This is the perfect car for that. It can't be any harder than when I was young and had a paper route that I had to use my bicycle to deliver them (hundreds of papers folded into a square stuffed into two large canvas bags). Then, on the weekends, I had to go around and 'collect' which I won't have to do with it all being automatic. It sounds like the perfect part-time job ($700-1200/mo. but not sure if that is including tips).

DaveinOlyWA said:
900 miles in 30 days pretty much means he is averaging 30 miles a day. I checked around and finally got someone who delivers pizza and he states he averages 50-70 miles a day in a 4 or 5 hour shift so guess it could easily be doable in the LEAF.
...providing his commute is 1-20 miles round trip! I think the OP is not able to charge during a shift.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dont use towels, very bad idea. will get a streaky mess in no time.

get good quality squeegee. works best plus unless you have really long arms, windshield not so easy to reach. handle on squeegee really comes in handy for this.
Speaking like a Washington State man experienced with damp weather! Good tip, the squeegee + handle thing.

Sqeegee is on list for tomorrow!
Now...$$$$ idea ... "Anti-fog" spray! Similar in concept to what RainX does for the outside if windows to bead up..but for inside!
(Edit) http://www.carid.com/universal-detailing/rain-x-anti-fog-1224047.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Apparently this works. Will try.

Gotta be some better mouse trap out there!

What do pilots use? Oh wait....they don't have to worry about the juice. ;)

SeattleBlue said:
Now...$$$$ idea ... "Anti-fog" spray! Similar in concept to what RainX does for the outside if windows to bead up..but for inside!
(Edit) http://www.carid.com/universal-detailing/rain-x-anti-fog-1224047.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Apparently this works. Will try.

the anti fog thing works great but FOLLOW the instructions. if you dont, it will end up turning your inside window "gummy" (exact word used by several dissatisfied users!!) . it basically works by making glass so slippery that water's natural tendency to bead is what keeps windows cleared. instead of a million tiny beads of water (AKA fog) you have a few hundred large beads of water which are easy to see around.

SeattleBlue said:

If you are averaging 22 miles a day, you don't have to worry about the electricity for heating and defrosting either. Run the defroster and don't worry about it.

If your defroster averages 2 kW (sometimes it will be higher, other times off) and your car is in use 2 hours per day you would be using 4 kWh per day of electricity to defrost it. Is that really a significant cost with Seattle electric rates?

Back