Amazing!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorSaul

I just calculated the cost of electricity for my first full month (September) of use of my Leaf. I used 309 kWh to go almost 1300 miles. Where I live, Ameren charges 8 cents per Kwh, so my total monthly expense for September was $24.72 compared to approximately $303.00 that I would have spent (based on 18 mpg and $3.50/gal gasoline).

September was a typical month. I anticipate coming out ahead about $275.00 per month by using the Leaf over my other ICE vehicles. Even deducting depreciation, insurance, and any other things, my Leaf is an amazing MONEY SAVER!!!!

Do remember that your electricity cost is highly atypical...

DoctorSaul said:
September was a typical month. I anticipate coming out ahead about $275.00 per month by using the Leaf over my other ICE vehicles. Even deducting depreciation, insurance, and any other things, my Leaf is an amazing MONEY SAVER!!!!

TomT said:

DoctorSaul said:

Not terribly so, I pay 10 cents for what he pays 8.

I'd be more concerned about the price of the car cheapest I can find a used leaf is still $17,000 so it'll be a while yet before I get my leaf I guess.

TomT said:

Yes, he pays 38% more than I. (However, if I consumed over 30kWh per day my rate would be roughly eight cents too.)

I thought a lot of people were paying eight cents or less thanks to off-peak rates. I guess not many utilities offer that.

DoctorSaul said:
I just calculated the cost of electricity for my first full month (September) of use of my Leaf. I used 309 kWh to go almost 1300 miles. Where I live, Ameren charges 8 cents per Kwh, so my total monthly expense for September was $24.72 compared to approximately $303.00 that I would have spent (based on 18 mpg and $3.50/gal gasoline).

I just got my Leaf (yesterday) and it was largely due to such anticipated savings. Together with a good deal and fed tax credit of $8,150 worked into the lease -- it was kinda a no brainer (financially).

I did have a question about your calculation -- according to my math, your fuel costs should have been closer to $253 (1300 miles/18 mpg = 72.2 gal x $3.50 = $253). Even at $253 your savings would be $228.

Now I need to figure out how to measure my Kwh consumed. :)

dhanson865 said:
TomT said:

DoctorSaul said:

I'd be more concerned about the price of the car cheapest I can find a used leaf is still $17,000 so it'll be a while yet before I get my leaf I guess.

That's a fraction of high-tier PGE rates.

dhanson865 said:
TomT said:

DoctorSaul said:

And I pay about nine cents Super Off Peak on a whole house TOU EV plan with SCE in So Cal.

TomT said:

DoctorSaul said:
Maybe lower than average but I wouldn't say atypical. I charge off-peak at night for <$0.07 with SRP (and give back with solar during on-peak :D ).

8 cents per kWh is what I pay here in Oregon, and I think it may be even cheaper up in Washington. Works out to about 2 cents per mile to drive the LEAF around. Yay hydro!

12 cents per kwh seems to be the accepted national average but like all averages, YMMV. Mine is 10½ cents on tier 2, 8¼ on tier one. I calculate my cost on all of it being tier 2 power but also do not add in connection fees which lowers the cost slightly. Either way; about 2.3 cents per mile in Summer, 2.6 cents in Winter and there are a few months when I do use tier one rates for LEAF since my other electrical usage is so light

Divide your total electric bill by the number of KWH used. this is what it costs you !

In CT it is almost double the KWH rate with all the taxes and charges.

DoctorSaul said:

First, can I have some of your electricity? :) I pay twice as much...

Second, it's useful to compute cents per mile for your Leaf and for the car it replaced, if you have those records. My '98 Saturn at 30 mpg was 12 cents/mile, my Leaf is 3 cents/mile, one fourth as much. That makes 'em smile at public events...

TomT said:

DoctorSaul said:

I appreciate that Missouri's electric service is cheap compared to, say, CA or NY. Isn't it ironic that the majority of interest (and subsides) for electric vehicles is in West Coast and East Coast states, when such savings are achievable in Middle America?

ttime4four said:
DoctorSaul said:

I just got my Leaf (yesterday) and it was largely due to such anticipated savings. Together with a good deal and fed tax credit of $8,150 worked into the lease -- it was kinda a no brainer (financially).

I did have a question about your calculation -- according to my math, your fuel costs should have been closer to $253 (1300 miles/18 mpg = 72.2 gal x $3.50 = $253). Even at $253 your savings would be $228.

OOPS... you are right, the calculation is $253 and not $275 in savings over gasoline cars. Still a substantial savings for using the Leaf.

ttime4four said:
DoctorSaul said:

If you subscribed to "Carwings", it calculates the total KWh used by the Leaf for each month.

Back