Amazing Leaf sales in Norway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daggad

The Nissan Leaf was introduced in Norway october 8th. Two days after more than 600 cars had been ordered by norwegian customers (including me..).
In norwegian: http://www.tu.no/motor/article292483.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sales are expecting to continue to be very high the next weeks as norwegians are very interested in the elctric cars due to very good goverment incitements promoting enviromental friendly cars.
Deliveries will start in the middle of november but the latest ordererers will have to wait until march/april 2012. Nissan also claims that the norwegian marked will have high priority.

Norway is a country of approx 4,5 mill people. And a total of about 140 000 new cars are sold every year. The all electric sistersiMiev, iOn and C-zero has sold about 1200 cars since introduction in 2011.

600 LEAFs ordered in two days in a population of 4,5 million is impressive! My state has about the same population, I wish we had that much interest here.

I guess Norway will get to dispel the myth that EVs can't work in cold climates.

LTLFTcomposite said:
How much are the incentives in Norway?
Free parking
Free ferries
Free roadtaxes
Yearly cartax of aprox usd 66,- (Opposed to usd 490,- for a ICE car)
No salestax (25% tax on all other cars)
No import tax

These last two makes the Leaf cost about the same as a Ford Focus in Norway.

daggad said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Free parking
Free ferries
Free roadtaxes
No import tax

Wow, no wonder it's popular.

Proof once again that, everything else aside, money drives the equation. There HAS to be a significant economic ROI to drive mainstream BEV sales.

daggad said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Free parking
Free ferries
Free roadtaxes
No import tax

Norway is a long but skinny country. a QC network could easily be put in to cover the entire country so very easily there. a glance at Google maps shows only the southern tip being more than 100 miles across. i am guessing that is where most of the population is.

daggad said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Free parking
Free ferries
Free roadtaxes
No import tax

Another advantage is that you can sneak up on trolls, since the Lead is quiet..

How much is gasoline and diesel in Norway?

TomT said:
Part of the reason why Lead is so quiet is it's density... :lol:

Herm said:
Another advantage is that you can sneak up on trolls, since the Lead is quiet..

Its bulletproof :) .. here is the reason why the Leaf is important in Norway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If one gallon is 3,78 liters then gasoline is $ 9 and diesel about $8,50

1 liter gasoline is nok 14 = $ 2,39

EDIT: "The Trollhunter" is a really funny movie... :lol:
(It is a comedy..)

daggad said:

If one gallon is 3,78 liters then gasoline is $ 9 and diesel about $8,50

1 liter gasoline is nok 14 = $ 2,39

EDIT: "The Trollhunter" is a really funny movie... :lol:
(It is a comedy..)

Question: How much does Norwegian Elec utility charge residents per kWh?

Anyways, i'm not surprised to hear it costs 9 bucks. It's about 8 bucks a gallon in the UK.

Most of us Americans who have never traveled outside of the US and rented cars (either in Europe, Asia Pac or elsewhere) wouldn't know that $4/gal PULP (premium unleaded petrol) here in california is actually quite a bargain.

Question: How much does Norwegian Elec utility charge residents per kWh?

The price for electricity is in constant movment because of varying water reserves. Now it is on the lower side at nok 0,89 kWh. 1 USD is 5,85 NOK. 0,89/5,85=0,15 USD/kWh
The electricity in Norway is mainly from non polluting waterfalls. So driving an electric car in Norway is almost a true 0 emission trip.

But...as one points out in a post over. We are one of the biggest oil producing countries pumping oil from the North Sea. So you could say that we are keeping our country tidy and clean while we are getting rich selling our pollution to other parts of the world. Sad but true.. :|

daggad said:
We are one of the biggest oil producing countries pumping oil from the North Sea. So you could say that we are keeping our country tidy and clean while we are getting rich selling our pollution to other parts of the world. Sad but true.. :|
I had expected to read that Norway is also one of the biggest wind power producers, but it is not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_European_Union Is it in Norway where they are doing a V2G experiment? I read that they had managed to convert some impressive portion (like 40%?) of this town's energy needs to renewable but could go no further because wind power is so variable. They calculated that if some portion of the town's cars were converted to EV's with V2G then they could buffer the wind power sufficiently to take the portion of renewable power to something spectacular (like 90%?). Unfortunately I've lost the reference so I don't know the town, the country, the publication, nor the specifics. :-(

daggad said:
So you could say that we are keeping our country tidy and clean while we are getting rich selling our pollution to other parts of the world. Sad but true.. :|

True, but that wasn't what I was thinking when I made my post. I was thinking that here is a country that could be like other oil producing countries and make the price of gas real cheap for the population. But instead Norway makes gas expensive and encourages EV adoption. I assume that this is for environmental reasons, but that may be a bad assumption on my part.

Dave

DaveL said:
But instead Norway makes gas expensive and encourages EV adoption. I assume that this is for environmental reasons, but that may be a bad assumption on my part.

Dave

Partly yes, but gasoline and diesel is also an important tax income for our gouverment. We all think that the incentives will slowly dissapear when the tax income decreases due to people converting to EV's. But probably not in the next five years or so.

But I must say that the prices you have for gasoline in USA are so very low that it almost seems that it has been sponsored by the gouverment. At least if you count in the millitary cost of keeping the oil lines open..
I also am very impressed by the americans that is buying the Leaf and other EV's when they are so expensive compared to their ICE competitors. You are really paying the bill for an enviromental change from your own pocket. Respect !
We could call this a silent revolution ? ;)

Back