All EV Rally, BC2BC-2013, 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how they do an EV rally, Estonia to Monaco:

http://electricmarathon.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://goo.gl/maps/1Uze6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1853 miles

From 2011:

Stage 1 “Nordic Raid”. Date: June 03-06th.
Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany.
Start in Tallinn – Finish in Lübeck.

Stage 2 “Motorway Raid”. Date: June 06-08th.
Germany and Switzerland.
Start in Lübeck – Finish in Zurich.

Stage 3 “Mountains Raid”. Date: June 08-11th.
Switzerland, Italy and Monaco.
Start in Zurich – Finish in Monte-Carlo.

The four proposed Stages are:

Peace Arch State Park, WA to Mc Donald's in San Ysidro, CA - Google Maps

June 29, 2013 - Start: Blaine, Washington at Peace Arch State Park

Stage 1. 529 miles

July 1-2, 2013 - Grant's Pass, Oregon (here, you can decide 199 to 101 south or continue on 5 south), La Quinta Inn, 243 Northeast Morgan Ln, Grants Pass, (541) 472-1808, $109

Overnight NEMA 14-50 "50 amp RV" service:

http://www.jackslandingrv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, 247 NE Morgan Ln, Grants Pass, (541) 472-1144, $25

http://www.roguevalleyoverniters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, 1806 Northwest 6th Street, Grants Pass, (541) 479-2208, $30.25

Stage 2. 374 miles

July 4-5, 2013 - Santa Rosa, California - Hyatt Vineyard Creek, 170 Railroad St, (707) 284-1234, $111, numerous EVSE options in the area

Stage 3. 274 miles

July 6-7, 2013 - San Luis Obispo, California - Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, 333 Madonna Road, (805) 549-0800, $140, Four public Clipper Creek CS-40 EVSEs, free, no card required

Stage 4. 321 miles

End of Event - San Ysidro, California - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza

1508 miles total

TonyWilliams said:
The four proposed Stages are:

Peace Arch State Park, WA to Mc Donald's in San Ysidro, CA - Google Maps

June 29, 2013 - Start: Blaine, Washington at Peace Arch State Park

July 1-2, 2013 - Stage 1. 529 miles - Grant's Pass, Oregon (here, you can decide 199 to 101 south or continue on 5 south), hotel pending

July 4-5, 2013 - Stage 2. 374 miles - Santa Rosa, California - Hyatt Vineyard Creek, 170 Railroad St, (847) 696-1234 $111, numerous EVSE options in the area

July 6-7, 2013 - Stage 3. 274 miles - San Luis Obispo, California - Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, 333 Madonna Road, (805) 549-0800, $140, Four public Clipper Creek CS-40 EVSEs, free, no card required

End of Event - Stage 4. 321 miles - San Ysidro, California - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza

1508 miles total
It'd be kinda cool if 8 or 10 So Cal folks could get a car carrier (might be less hassle than getting your car there by driving) lined up. Don't car carriers typically hold 8 or 10 cars?

hill said:
It'd be kinda cool if 8 or 10 So Cal folks could get a car carrier (might be less hassle than getting your car there by driving) lined up. Don't car carriers typically hold 8 or 10 cars?

I am absolutely confident that if a much smaller number than that wanted transport, it could be organized. There are guys hauling 3 and 4 cars with a dually diesel pickup and a fifth wheel trailer.

I just booked hotels in Grants Pass, Sonoma County, and San Luis Obispo for the BC2BC 2013. For those of you considering this trip, the reservation in Sonoma is getting more expensive by the week (~$188 now), and the hotel location of Stage 3 in San Luis Obispo is already booked. The Best Western that is close to the Embassy Suites is requiring a 2-day booking. I ended up booking at the Vegabond Inn ($179) which is within walking distance to the stage location.

BIGneutrino said:
I just booked hotels in Grants Pass, Sonoma County, and San Luis Obispo for the BC2BC 2013. For those of you considering this trip, the reservation in Sonoma is getting more expensive by the week (~$188 now), and the hotel location of Stage 3 in San Luis Obispo is already booked. The Best Western that is close to the Embassy Suites is requiring a 2-day booking. I ended up booking at the Vegabond Inn ($179) which is within walking distance to the stage location.

I picked all those hotels based on a number of criteria, including lots of available rooms. Fortunately, having other hotels nearby was a secondary consideration. And finally, charging somewhere (more than one choice).

I was too dumb to actually make the reservations while I did the planning, and have now bumped into the same issue as you in SLO.

I ended up two miles south at:

Courtyard San Luis Obispo
1605 Calle Joaquin Road
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 USA
1-805-786-4200

How is that list of checkpoints coming along?

Question: Does my home EVSE count as a prepositioned EVSE? The route goes very near my home and I may spend one night in my own comfy bed.

Luft said:

Question: Does my home EVSE count as a prepositioned EVSE? The route goes very near my home and I may spend one night in my own comfy bed.

That's a good question. I've thought about it myself. In getting my overnight stays and charging locations planned out so far, I have stayed clear of planning charging at residences. If home EVSE usage is acceptable, I think that it may take out some of the fun/challenge of getting through CA, and I would spend all of my planning time for the BC2BC campaigning to find friends who own an EV in Weed, Eureka, and Santa Barbara.

Luft is right on with the checkpoints--we really need clarification on these locations as soon as possible!

Tony,

Your stages are listed as follows:

Stage 1
July 1-2 Grants Pass, OR

Stage 2
July 4-5
Santa Rosa, CA

Stage 3
July 6-7
San Luis Obispo, CA

Stage 4
(July 8-9)?? Does not say but I am assuming.
San Ysidro, CA  - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza

Will there be checkpoints in the cities that you list? If so will check-ins be allowed only on the dates you give? i.e. If people with DC QC ports blow through Washington and Oregon do we have to wait in Grants Pass until the marshals show up?

Luft said:

No, it doesn't, but a good point to clarify. Prepositioned really means put in place specifically for this event AND not publically available. But, the bigger, simple point is that if it is done by the participant or his/her helpers, then it's not ok.

I have a conference call tomorrow with folks tomorrow that will include talk about checkpoints and other fun things. This is sizing up to be a really fun event.

Oh, I'm telling you up front; expect surprises.

BIGneutrino said:
Luft said:

That's a good question. I've thought about it myself. In getting my overnight stays and charging locations planned out so far, I have stayed clear of planning charging at residences. [/quotes]

It's ok to use existing homes / private sources that are "held out to the public" through sources like PlugShare.

Luft said:
Stage 4
(July 8-9)?? Does not say but I am assuming.
San Ysidro, CA  - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza

Will there be checkpoints in the cities that you list? If so will check-ins be allowed only on the dates you give? i.e. If people with DC QC ports blow through Washington and Oregon do we have to wait in Grants Pass until the marshals show up?

It ends whenever you get there!!! Presumably, for virtually everybody, that will be late on July 7 to early July 8.

The purpose of the stage overnight points is to give a "bunching up" point where the time stops for your rally. If you show up at noon on July 1 at Grant Pass, your time stops there until we relaunch as a group the next day (July 2). We'll hopefully all have a proper meal and good stories to tell until the next stage overnight point.

Nobody can "blow through" the stage checkpoints unless you never made it to the checkpoint before we all left for the next stage.

Most of the checkpoints will be available well before the event, but by how much, I don't know. The good news is that everybody will have exactly the same notice of where they are, even if it's the morning of June 29 ;-)

TonyWilliams said:
Luft said:

No, it doesn't, but a good point to clarify. Prepositioned really means put in place specifically for this event AND not publically available. But, the bigger, simple point is that if it is done by the participant or his/her helpers, then it's not ok.

I have a conference call tomorrow with folks tomorrow that will include talk about checkpoints and other fun things. This is sizing up to be a really fun event.

Oh, I'm telling you up front; expect surprises.
Sounds great... I love surprises :p

One last question. Should I read the two dates on the stage checkpoints as the first date being the date we should arrive at the checkpoint and the second the date we leave as a group?

So, for example, I should plan on arriving at the La Quinta Inn in Grants Pass on July 1st spend the night and leave on July 2nd?

Sorry for all of the questions but little details like that make a big difference in planning.

Luft said:
One last question. Should I read the two dates on the stage checkpoints as the first date being the date we should arrive at the checkpoint and the second the date we leave as a group?

So, for example, I should plan on arriving at the La Quinta Inn in Grants Pass on July 1st spend the night and leave on July 2nd?

Sorry for all of the questions but little details like that make a big difference in planning.

YES, YES !!!

I tried to make it clear it was overnight! If you get there, great!!! No matter what, YOU MUST CHECK IN AT THE STAGE OVERNIGHT POINTS, even if you don't get there until after everybody else has already left.

AGAIN, the Checkpoints and Stage Overnight Points are not optional.

TonyWilliams said:
Luft said:

YES, YES !!!

I tried to make it clear it was overnight! If you get there, great!!! No matter what, YOU MUST CHECK IN AT THE STAGE OVERNIGHT POINTS, even if you don't get there until after everybody else has already left.

Thanks Tony. I'll adjust my plan so that I don't arrive too soon and plan on spending the night in Grants Pass.

Luft said:
TonyWilliams said:

Thanks Tony. I'll adjust my plan so that I don't arrive too soon and plan on spending the night in Grants Pass.

No matter how fast you drive, the absolute earliest you will finish is sometime July 7, 2013.

TonyWilliams said:
Luft said:
TonyWilliams said:

No matter how fast you drive, the absolute earliest you will finish is sometime July 7, 2013.
Yes, I understand. I'm not trying to drive fast I'm just trying to schedule my camping/hotels. If we start in Blaine on June 29th, I'll drive back to my home to spend the first night then with the use of DC QC stations I could be in Grants Pass the evening of the 30th. Washington and Oregon in particular have done a wonderful job setting up these stations. They make travelling I-5 a snap. My only concern is my battery pack overheating.

You mentioned that when we arrive at a stage check-in that our clock would be stopped until we leave as a group the following day. If I arrive on the 30th will I be able to check in and stop my clock and then just hang out until July 2nd or will I need to wait until July 1st to check in?

BTW I want to thank you for organizing this! It's going to be fun.

Luft said:
You mentioned that when we arrive at a stage check-in that our clock would be stopped until we leave as a group the following day. If I arrive on the 30th will I be able to check in and stop my clock and then just hang out until July 2nd or will I need to wait until July 1st to check in?

BTW I want to thank you for organizing this! It's going to be fun.

You're welcome, and it will be fun and somewhat challenging. Obviously, you want to get to the next Stage Overnight Point (SOP) as soon as possible, because the clock is ticking until then. Then, we won't leave that SOP until the morning of July 2 at Grants Pass.

TonyWilliams said:
You're welcome, and it will be fun and somewhat challenging. Obviously, you want to get to the next Stage Overnight Point (SOP) as soon as possible, because the clock is ticking until then. Then, we won't leave that SOP until the morning of July 2 at Grants Pass.

Tony, I don't want to keep bugging you over the check points but their locations could greatly impact travel plans. Going 30 or 40 miles out of our way could easily trigger a charging event that adds hours. Multiple checkpoints between staged overnight checkpoints could add a day or more.

I'm beginning to make reservations at hotels and RV parks based on assumptions that I don't trust. Can you give us any information about the checkpoints? At least enough information that will allow us to make better guesses. How many checkpoints in each stage? How far off I-5 or Highway 101 will the checkpoints be?

What is the process to actually do a check-in?

NONE of the checkpoints proposed will be significantly off the logical route(s), I promise.

Still waiting on a bunch of returned calls. Things seem to be progressing well for the launch party at the Peace Arch.

Back