After charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraA

I often charge my Leaf to 80%, but sometimes to 100%. Here is my question, if I charge to 100%, and it is fully charged, then why does it sometimes say that it will go 99 or 100 "miles", and other times as low as 89 "miles". Is this due to weather? Don't worry, I know that those aren't actual miles, and don't accurately represent how far it will actually go. I'm just wondering why it doesn't charge to the same number of "miles" each time it is fully charged. Thanks, LauraA

LauraA said:
I often charge my Leaf to 80%, but sometimes to 100%. Here is my question, if I charge to 100%, and it is fully charged, then why does it sometimes say that it will go 99 or 100 "miles", and other times as low as 89 "miles". Is this due to weather? Don't worry, I know that those aren't actual miles, and don't accurately represent how far it will actually go. I'm just wondering why it doesn't charge to the same number of "miles" each time it is fully charged. Thanks, LauraA

You have already answered your question. Theses numbers are based on the way you drove the car before you charged it.

It would be better if we have on board a state of charge number like the one you see on Carwings' Website.

leafwing said:
LauraA said:

You have already answered your question. Theses numbers are based on the way you drove the car before you charged it.

It would be better if we have on board a state of charge number like the one you see on Carwings' Website.

I don't understand what you mean about the number reflecting the way that I drove before I charged the car. This is my second Leaf, and is new. When I picked it up, it was just half way charged, and only had about 40 "miles" showing up. I drove home, charged to 100%, and next morning, fully charged, it said " 89 miles". A few days later it said "99" miles fully charged, and today said "100". Thanks, LauraA

That's why we call it the "guess-o-meter"! It *guesses* your range based on the past 4-5 miles of driving before you recharged. If you drove really fast, or had the climate control on, the guess will be lower than if you were driving slow without heat or A/C.

If you drove fast, aggressively, or up hill, for the last APPROXIMATELY
5 minutes (or miles?) before you turned the car off for charging, the
mileage estimator would think, with that same kind of fuel-sucking
driving, the car would only get 60 miles before "empty", after being
fully charged.

However, if you were driving slowly, gently, or down hill, and the
estimator again assumes that the future driving will be like
the driving in the recent past, it might predict 110 miles
to empty.

The trouble is that the recent past history is often NOT a good
predictor of the future, so you can get substantially different range
than what the Guess-o-Meter initially predicted.

Oh, thanks so much everyone! I understand all of that while driving (climate control etc) but never knew why the full charge "mile" range changed after charging. I also know not to go by that number. I'm an old (67) "grandma" driver in flat country with pretty warm weather (coastal southern GA). I usually just drive around my small town, and the range is perfect for my lifestyle. When I travel, I rent a bigger car. It works out perfectly for me. I was just curious! Thanks, LauraA

Back