AeroV increases cash and carry charger price to $995

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is anyone considering the AV JUNK. Wait for something better and get a modified EVSe in the meantime and you will be ahead and have that for the road. The AV EVSE is very overpriced at $750, more is complete insanity, that thing should be priced at $350 now.

downeykp said:
When you talk about cash and carry, av will sell you the "glorified extension cord" and then either I or an electrician can install? I could easily do this and no one from the county where I live would ever had an idea that I installed. AV would also not have any idea, right?
I guess what I am getting at is I have done construction all of my working life, have wired houses, 240 dryers and electric ranges and I have not blown anything up yet. What would be the problem if I did this myself?
I dunno, maybe your home owner's insurance weaseling out of paying after the house fire because you had uninspected wiring done at your house? I never get the animosity towards the permitting process. It's usually fairly smooth, and it protects all of us from unsafe work being done.

Some might consider the AV EVSE "junk", but why?

There are quite a few AVs out there actually working,
and it is actually available for under $1000.

The only other "available" UL-Listed EVSE under $1k is the Nissan/Panasonic L1 EVSE (and the "Voltec", just for the Volt), right?

They are really shooting themselves in the foot, here. The local contractor for south Orange County fired their asses because of all the negative press they were getting about the gouging, and now they want to INCREASE the cost of cash&carry by $200? Can anyone tell me what extra value I'm getting for $200?

Maybe they're used to dealing with commercial and esp. government jobs that don't tend to scrutinze costs. Unbelievable business model.

garygid said:
The only other "available" UL-Listed EVSE under $1k is the Nissan/Panasonic L1 EVSE (and the "Voltec", just for the Volt), right?
Incorrect. The Schneider EV2430WS is available now, with UL listing (at least, that is printed on the side - I am not sure what I would need to look up to confirm it). It cost me $818.25 after local taxes.

garygid said:
Some might consider the AV EVSE "junk", but why?

There are quite a few AVs out there actually working,
and it is actually available for under $1000.

It is has crude and clunky build quality. The fact that some are working does not mean much. It's one of the most over priced units I have seen and you know whats in the inside.

ravi100 said:
I had called AV on March 31 and was quoted a price of $721+tax for the charger unit. Called again today to place the order and the rep claimed Nissan had "directed them" to now charge $995. Complete crap! I am really disgusted with the process to the point of cancelling my Leaf order.

An AV rep quoted me "about $1000" when I asked about cash-and-carry at the Drive Tour in DC on March 18, and that "cost" would be about $720 if you went with them for the install. So I think this change has been brewing for some time.

Agreed that the unit is already overpriced at $720, $1000 is just ridiculous.

Besides cost, I see a purchase from AV as a vote for a company I don't believe cares about customers or the EV space but only profits, that's all fine but I also don't agree with their ethics of business practices and they are getting what they deserve and what I expected from day one. Good luck AV, no wonder all your contractors are going elsewhere. I bet they get out of the residential EVSE market soon as they will likely only loose money with their top heavy model on a product that will soon be commoditized.

edited post:

AV has an admirable and long history of working on electric vehicles. I don't like the way the install quote and procedure went but that doesn't diminish their company's work in the marketplace towards us being able to buy these cars.

Take a look at the link below.

http://www.avinc.com/glossary/gm_impact_ev

Cancel this. Just read the posting and saw your info there. thank you.

JasonT said:
garygid said:
Incorrect. The Schneider EV2430WS is available now, with UL listing (at least, that is printed on the side - I am not sure what I would need to look up to confirm it). It cost me $818.25 after local taxes.

JasonT, where did you buy the unit? From the plug in america site they are saying (referring back to here) that it is priced at ~$1200.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/schneider-electric-square-d

adaminla said:
JasonT said:
The Schneider EV2430WS is available now, with UL listing
JasonT, where did you buy the unit? From the plug in america site they are saying (referring back to here) that it is priced at ~$1200.
I am a little confused with the "Cancel this", but I'll go ahead and answer anyway :)

Yeah, that's the MSRP, but I just called a local Schneider dealer (you can use http://www.schneider-electric.us/sites/us/en/support/distributor-locator/distributor-locator.page to locate one) and got it for $750 before tax. YMMV of course. I have no idea if they ship out of state but if you can't find a good price the place I used was "Electric Supply Incorporated" located in Tucson, AZ.

I already fell out of my chair once when I got my AV quote in December of $2,340 for a basic install. Decided at that time to just buy unit and have it installed. Would have been nice to know there would be a price increase.

I *just* got off phone with an AV rep and learned that the 'cash and carry' price went up to $995 on April 1 (an ironic date). No mention of shipping cost yet. Original price in my quote was 721.12, so that is a 38% increase in price!!

Why do I want to do business with a company like that? I suppose they can go back to fleecing the taxpayers with obscene prices via the department of defense.

Welcome,
An alternative is paying about $270 to get your "included" L1 EVSE
modified to work at 240v (and the original 120v), both at 12 amps.

The mod is about $200, shipping each way about $20, and $25 for the 120v adapter cord. Then, you buy (or make) an adapter cord to plug into a convenient source of 240v power. See the "Mod... " thread for many details.

planet4ever said:
Don't cancel your LEAF order, just cancel the idea of a permanently mounted charging dock in your garage. For $200 you can upgrade the "trickle charge" cord that comes with the car so that it charges twice as fast. (I assume you already have, or are planning to provide, a 240v circuit.)

Ray
IBELEAF said:
That looks good
Some datapoints: there have been a couple of accounts of satisfied users of that mod. There are probably more, but I have not been keeping close track.

I just used a Mod-L1 Nissan EVSE with 240v on a dryer circuit (10-30 socket) for the first time yesterday.

From the time estimate, it seemed that the car and Carwings understood that it was at 240v but limited to 12 amps.

mbutter said:
I already fell out of my chair once when I got my AV quote in December of $2,340 for a basic install. Decided at that time to just buy unit and have it installed. Would have been nice to know there would be a price increase.

I *just* got off phone with an AV rep and learned that the 'cash and carry' price went up to $995 on April 1 (an ironic date). No mention of shipping cost yet. Original price in my quote was 721.12, so that is a 38% increase in price!!

Why do I want to do business with a company like that? I suppose they can go back to fleecing the taxpayers with obscene prices via the department of defense.

I got a return call from an AV supervisor named 'Sarah', and she explained that the $721 price was a bundled discount with install, and they were 'losing money' if they continued to sell it at that price as a standalone, so they had to increase to $995. She stated that they could no longer honor the original price after April 1.

She then explained that the $995 price is still discounted below their 'retail' price. (I suppose I am supposed to feel better about that?)

mbutter said:
mbutter said:

I got a return call from an AV supervisor named 'Sarah', and she explained that the $721 price was a bundled discount with install, and they were 'losing money' if they continued to sell it at that price as a standalone, so they had to increase to $995. She stated that they could no longer honor the original price after April 1.

She then explained that the $995 price is still discounted below their 'retail' price. (I suppose I am supposed to feel better about that?)

Simply ludicrous. Didn't someone here take it apart and say there was about $50 worth of parts?

Back