Adding Two Rear Chain driven motors (isolated system)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillzofvalp

Is it possible? There's an awful lot of space back there. I have a source for surplus 28S modules.. Up to 20kwh. I was going to use them in a motorcycle.. But this could have more utility. I also already have two 15kW controllers which are happy at 5kW continuous.

Why? Well the advantages could be:

-add range without fussing with factory hv system
-add regen capability
-ability to save leaf pack for highway use
-30kW boost up to 40-50mph
-redundant
-lets you take lead pack down all the way to turtle if needed

I want to build a CAN interface that simply and reliably triggers high or low for each brake and throttle status. Brake would be easier because I would just set it to do full regen for any brake pedal movement. throttle could be fed to a micro controller and remapped proportional to leaf power or I could add a joystick just for rwd throttle.

Also could tie the regen using relays via the brake light similar to how Plugless interfaces(which I own)

Technically don't need CAN but it would be cleaner.

Lastly? How do I get a sprocket on the rear wheel? Is friction drive the only option?

As mentioned above, good luck. The list of why not to do this is far to long to type here quickly and you better get started now coding your RWD software so that your regen will be integrated to the LEAF stability/traction control systems. Can't wait to see the suspension redesign and packaging as well.

All that effort would be much better suited for an EV conversion of an ICE car. Anything you're missing would be available from evtv.me.
http://store.evtv.me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something discussed previously was a leaf range extender that basically consisted of the back half of a motorcycle you could hang on the rear of the car for long trips.
Of course that would be pretty silly but the notion of a configurable car is still somewhat intriguing. Pack swapping on a model S has some potential in that regard, if they offered say, a 40kwh model and you could swap in an 85 for long trips. At the end of the day it's probably not worth the hassle, easier to either pay the extra $ for the bigger pack to begin with or just rent a gas car.

LeftieBiker said:
rmay635703 said:
LeftieBiker said:
Why not hubmotor units instead of chain drive?

MIght as well have a unicorn pull the car

There are add-on hubmotor kits. I've seen one on a Fit. If you can't be helpful, at least be thoughtful.

Hey, sorry if my reply to rmay seems to have corroborated with him.

Hub motors are interesting, but ultimately come with their own sets of challenges. On the surface, it does seem like a more reasonable solution to making an AWD than adding a chain-driven motor. I do wonder how many devils are in those details though.

Hubmotors add lots of un-sprung weight, hurting the car's/bike's ride quality. I don't think adding wheel-motors to a Leaf is a great idea - I just think it makes more sense than chain-drive.

This will be yet an other long thread to nowhere I predict. I see much more sense removing drive parts from a LEAF and placing them into another donor then adding anything to a LEAF.

You guys are missing the point.

I have the batteries. I would only spend money on bms and motors/ motor mounts. 4wd. Independently controlled is fine. Say up to $5k

Tying into he braking system is actually very easy if you just add a relay to the brake light circuit. None variable, but honestly don't need variable regen at only up to 30kW

Back