ACTIVE CHARGING Etiquette, Trust and a LEAF behaving badly.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

So there is a first time for everything. I went to my favorite local L2 hang out in Laguna Beach and BOTH stations were already taken by Mr White and Mr Blue LEAF. IMHO, this is known as a "good problem" and I was very happy to see LEAFs out and EV infrastructure in use.

After finding street parking, I double checked the CP App and to my surprise Mr Blue was not charging?!? At first I figured Mr Blue had just gotten there and beaten us to the punch. My reason for figuring this was I had been regularly checking the CP App two hours earlier and noted that one station (Mr white) was in use, but the other was not (and was still not "in use"). Now Curious, I walked up to the stations and indeed Mr Blue WAS plugged in but NOT charging. Walking back to the beach and now feeling mildly irritated, I start to mentally CSI the scene... station was NOT in use since 4pm?!... permanent tags so not a newbie... no LB purple sticker so not local... could have arrived at 3pm, gotten 2-3 bars... gone from 80-100% in an hour??? Not likely... BUT it's a 4hr space for Active Charging anyways... and its after 7pm so where the heck are they?... they should be leaving any minute!... and what's up with that really crooked park job???

Walking past our LEAF, I check the CP App again and Mr White is done. Now almost 7:30pm, this is logical if you figure Mr White had been charging since 4ish. We are down to 3 bars and I would like an hour or so on L2 if possible. Being Sat night, I have already seen a red and silver LEAf prowling about. I go for it and arrive to find Mr White is gone. I carefully squeeze in next to Mr Blue and plug in.

We depart Laguna about 9pm. Mr Blue is gone with the charge handle unplugged and draped over the holder. My wife puts it away in the locking enclosure and winds the chord up neatly. I can see she is irritated.

The bottom line is this; With Infrastructure thin, we have to really TRUST each other to follow the rules! The public infrastructure is not OURS. It is a very special gift and this special gift comes with special rules. These rules are created by the people that actually own the stations, are currently paying the bills for them, and need us to take care of them. More importantly though, as EV owners, we need to be able to trust that the rules of each location are being followed! Alot of people want to come to LB and are counting on the CP App (in this case) to give them correct info of what is going on. If a station is known to be for Active Charging, EV drivers will be more likely to trust the App... and then more likely to get screwed over when someone does not follow the rules. Honoring the Active Charging rule is a REALLY important detail in making the new infrastructure system work.

Anyways

I would like to think that Mr Blue had a timer set, actually did arrive right before us, never checked their App (failed) charging status, etc. An honest mistake. If so, at least put the charge handle and chord away before you drive off. Thank You.

I'm kind of irritated that the LEAF community is not following up on the protocol established many years ago. Like most owners, I'm relatively new to the all electric vehicle thing too, the LEAF being my first electric since racing electrathons in college. I have a stack of these and leave them on any LEAF I see charging without a card. Leaving one of these on "Mr. Blue" would have been very useful.

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm

This will always be an issue with free charging.. it should cost to park and charge up, otherwise leave the spot for someone that needs it. Also, dont put the spots in premium places.

kevin672 said:
I'm kind of irritated that the LEAF community is not following up on the protocol established many years ago. Like most owners, I'm relatively new to the all electric vehicle thing too, the LEAF being my first electric since racing electrathons in college. I have a stack of these and leave them on any LEAF I see charging without a card. Leaving one of these on "Mr. Blue" would have been very useful.

This is excellent Kevin672! We are three Leaves at work, and we are currently sharing the two chargers at the neighboring hotel (the Creekside on El Camino, in Palo Alto). We have each other's cell phones and can text each other, and we know how much charge each one needs to get home. This placard a great way to get that same information to folks who we don't already know.

In a couple of cases at the hotel there have been ICEs in the two spots reserved for each charger (argh). Do you know if anyone has come up with a card that says (nicely...) that they are keeping me from getting home tonight? Maybe, educational at the same time.

So far I have not charged at L2's with more than a single dedicated EV space available. Its unfortunate since it effectively prevents plug sharing (protocol) but is likely the result of parking spaces being like gold here in SoCal. Anti EV zealots would go nuts if they ever saw four spaces reserved for two chargers and none of them being used on a busy night. While I feel warm and fuzzy thinking of these sorts imploding over such a thing, we need to first make sure people are following an owners rules. Due to increasing demand, I eventually see EV spaces being spread out more for multi-task charging scenarios. But for now with L2 spread very thin people need to respect what ever the owners rules are and remember that the current crop of Apps only provide data if the station is in use.

I did not grab a VIN and am not interested in calling out someone. Instead, I just want people to remember how small actions can mislead (Apps) drivers looking for available stations. Public L2 is still VERY rare. If you are not using it then make room for someone who will.

These are the same people that park in HANDICAP PARKING ONLY spots without any impairement or they use their impaired family or friends car. They are "ANAL PORES", quite simply put--part of the entitled generation we have allowed to populate this "Big Blue Marble"!

kevin672 said:

+1
This could all have been worked out with a phone call if drivers used the protocol card.

JohnOver said:
In a couple of cases at the hotel there have been ICEs in the two spots reserved for each charger (argh). Do you know if anyone has come up with a card that says (nicely...) that they are keeping me from getting home tonight? Maybe, educational at the same time.

I keep a couple copies of:http://www.evchargernews.com/parkingnotice.htm in my glove box. This was discussed in the thread with subject "... Parking Spot violators..."

(I keep a couple of copies of http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf in the glove box too.)

TRONZ said:
The bottom line is this; With Infrastructure thin, we have to really TRUST each other to follow the rules! The public infrastructure is not OURS. It is a very special gift and this special gift comes with special rules. These rules are created by the people that actually own the stations, are currently paying the bills for them, and need us to take care of them. More importantly though, as EV owners, we need to be able to trust that the rules of each location are being followed! Alot of people want to come to LB and are counting on the CP App (in this case) to give them correct info of what is going on. If a station is known to be for Active Charging, EV drivers will be more likely to trust the App... and then more likely to get screwed over when someone does not follow the rules. Honoring the Active Charging rule is a REALLY important detail in making the new infrastructure system work.
There's a Charge Point station in Mesa, AZ that's always occupied by an ICE car. A few of us local EV drivers emailed the owner to ask if he'd be willing to help put up a sign. He said "Good idea, we'll work on it". I drove by yesterday and say a new sign alright. He also painted the front concrete curb and 2 side lines green. His sign says something like "Charging at Bookman's. Free electric vehicle charging." The irony is that there's still an ICE car, Suburban to throw insult to it, parked right in front of it. I'm so disappointed to see sign not even broaching the subject of the space being reserved for EV cars only. The sign seems more like an advertisement for the store than an enforcement policy to keep ICE cars out.

Anyway, I wonder what exactly the sign posted at the OP's place of charging says? Is it clear enough and the rules are spell out explicitly? I wonder how big of a sign has to be if the rules have to be spelled out on it?

The Laguna Beach EV stall sign posts says

"Electric Vehicle Charging Only, 4 Hour Parking Limit Per 24 Hour Period, Vehicles Not Actively Charging Parked In This Space Are Subject To Fine And Tow".

They also have Cones set up with paper signs warning non EV's to NOT park there.

TRONZ said:

"Electric Vehicle Charging Only, 4 Hour Parking Limit Per 24 Hour Period, Vehicles Not Actively Charging Parked In This Space Are Subject To Fine And Tow".

They also have Cones set up with paper signs warning non EV's to NOT park there.
This couldn't have been more clear. I wish they have such a sign at Bookman's in Mesa, AZ.

I got to Laguna Beach around 5 PM this Saturday. Both EV spots were occupied. I was glad I had driven under 65 and was able to make it back home without charging. 2 L2's in Laguna Beach are good; more are needed. This is the third time I've passed by there without being able to charge since both spots were occupied. Being able to reserve by pre-paying via ChargePoint would be a viable alternative. Once they saw reservations booked solid, they would likely consider installing more L2's.

TRONZ said:

Simple call to the city could have clarified the issue with the vehicle owner.

TRONZ said:

Laguna Beach has one of the more specific signage that I've seen. I would've voiced my concerns to the parking attendant, whom I've found to be very supportive of the EV drivers. Perhaps the offending Leaf owner could be given a warning, and then reminded of the EV parking/charging rules and that future violations will be enforced. Hopefully, the reminder would help them avoid any future fines or towing. You'd hate to see that happen to a fellow Leaf owner.

I'd like to think it was an honest oversight on the Leaf owner's part. Maybe this owner did not have access to an App to monitor their charging status? Maybe they forgot to wear a watch? Maybe getting a 'warning' notice will remind them to bring their watch next time. :roll:

Adrian said:
I got to Laguna Beach around 5 PM this Saturday. Both EV spots were occupied.

Let me guess, a white LEAF and a blue LEAF.

The LB stations are really popular during weekends. Weekdays not as much. But an EV parking and not charging is just like getting ICEd... but more ironic. I am now getting the impression that there were at least three LEAFs that would have liked a little LB L2 action last night.

I think it'd make sense to make it part of the etiquette to leave a cell phone number behind the windshield so people can contact the owner if they have questions. It would also be nice if the charge station displays the time lapsed since the beginning of the charge so people can tell how long the car has been there.

Volusiano said:
I think it'd make sense to make it part of the etiquette to leave a cell phone number behind the windshield so people can contact the owner if they have questions. It would also be nice if the charge station displays the time lapsed since the beginning of the charge so people can tell how long the car has been there.

If you make use of the protocol card then your cell phone number will be there so anyone can contact you. Any photo printing service should be able to make them for less than a dollar. I had a bunch made at Costco as 4x6 prints. Just use a sharpie to write your name and cell phone number on the protocol card. There are links from this page to a PDF or Word doc version of it.

Volusiano said:
This couldn't have been more clear. I wish they have such a sign at Bookman's in Mesa, AZ.

Someone from the Phoenix area posted a link to AZ's EV Parking Laws. I'm going to make copies of it, and when I see a violator, put it on their windshield. If I see that vehicle again in violation, I'm going to have it towed. Soon, people will get the message.

Back