Accidentally leaving the Leaf on: What happens?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the car rolled it did rip out the charger from the wall - luckily nothing was damaged at the front just our wall socketnthatnheaded off down the drive as well

I had it happen to me once, when the car was about two weeks old, at work in the parking garage. I came out 12 hours later to find it still on and down to about 4 (old style) bars... I had to find a charger to get home. It would be much harder to do that know with the beeper nanny they added as one of the later software updates...

CarZin said:
So, with that said, does anyone know how the Leaf behaves? Will it sit idly by until the accessories drain every last ounce of energy from the battery? Who has forgotten to turn off their car?

After a year, I've never forgotten to turn off the car and I always engage my parking brake before exiting, to ensure it doesn't roll away, should I absent-mindedly trip myself up. :? Following a shut-off sequence becomes a good habit (Park, Brake, Off).

I used to hate the auto-lock mechanism with a passion every time I got into a friend's car and then when I got my LEAF. Something in me despised the lack of control over that choice (Big Brother? :lol: ). After awhile in the LEAF, I got used to it and am contented with the locks engaging as the car gains momentum (I knew it was a setting/don't spend time feature-fiddling/never got around to changing it). It's only annoying when I make brief stops for minor tasks (15 second mail grab) and have to push the unlock button after I've already pulled on the (disengaged) door handle (duh). :roll:

I've driven a LEAF for over two years and have never forgotten to turn it off. It's also a piece of cake to hit the unlock door button, even at night.

The fact that my leaf does not unlock until I switch off the car, has saved me numerous times from walking away with car powered on. Initially I used to hate the fact that the locks don't automatically open when you shift to Park, but later I realized how important that it does not do that.

Back