A short Public Charging rant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Yes on all your questions. You can get a text message when it is done, and then you should move it so someone else can use it. Otherwise it is selfish and rude behavior, not to mention laziness to go and move it. Your leaving it there for 5 hours is way over the top.
are you really suggesting that if I am sitting in a movie theater and a txt alerts me that my car charging is complete that I should run out of the theater and move my car?
that sir is absurd.
and just another reason that an anti EV person can point out regarding the difficulties attached to owning an EV.

apvbguy said:
LEAFfan said:
Yes on all your questions. You can get a text message when it is done, and then you should move it so someone else can use it. Otherwise it is selfish and rude behavior, not to mention laziness to go and move it. Your leaving it there for 5 hours is way over the top.
are you really suggesting that if I am sitting in a movie theater and a txt alerts me that my car charging is complete that I should run out of the theater and move my car? YES. REALLY. HE IS.
that sir is absurd. TRULY, IT ISN'T. INCONVENIENT, YES. PLAN BETTER TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM.
and just another reason that an anti EV person can point out regarding the difficulties attached to owning an EV. NO, THAT DIFFICULTY IS CAUSED BY ARROGANT, DISCOURTEOUS OWNERS WITH ENTITLEMENT ISSUES WHO DEMONSTRATE A TOTAL DISREGARD FOR APPROPRIATELY SHARING CHARGING RESOURCES.

Sorry, didn't intend to shout (darn that CAPS LOCK!). ;)

eclecticflower said:
apvbguy said:
LEAFfan said:
are you really suggesting that if I am sitting in a movie theater and a txt alerts me that my car charging is complete that I should run out of the theater and move my car? YES. REALLY. HE IS.
that sir is absurd. TRULY, IT ISN'T. INCONVENIENT, YES. PLAN BETTER TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM.
and just another reason that an anti EV person can point out regarding the difficulties attached to owning an EV. NO, THAT DIFFICULTY IS CAUSED BY ARROGANT, DISCOURTEOUS OWNERS WITH ENTITLEMENT ISSUES WHO DEMONSTRATE A TOTAL DISREGARD FOR APPROPRIATELY SHARING CHARGING RESOURCES.

I DON"T KNOW THE VERBIAGE ON THE SIGNAGE WHERE YOU ARE BUT HERE WHERE I LIVE THE SIGNS SAY EV PARKING, NOTHING ABOUT CHARGING, NOTHING ABOUT TIME LIMITS.
THE FACT THAT I DON'T APPEAR THE MOMENT THE VEHICLE'S CHARGE IS COMPLETE DOES NOT MEAN I AM DISCOURTEOUS OR ANY OF THE OTHER ABSURD COMMENTS MADE.
IF ANY OF Y'ALL THINK THINGS SHOULD CHANGE LEARN THE PROCESSES IN PLACE TO EFFECT CHANGE AND GET TO WORK CREATING THE WORLD YOU SEEM TO WANT. SHOUTING INSULTS IS NOT GOING TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE.

And that's the sound of this thread circling the drain closer and closer ... ;)

vsiev said:
adric22 said:
eclecticflower said:
My comments/opinion in red. Here's hoping for enlightenment. ;)
As to the argument between you and Leaffan I would say there is one considerably important variable that is being left out of this discussion. The question is, are there other charging stations in the same parking lot that are available for use? I mean, if I pull into a place and plug in and there are 3 additional stations that are not in use, I think I'm going to be unconcerned about making a trip back out to move the car. However, if they are all full and I suspect there are others waiting for the spot, then it would be considerate to go move the car.

But how do you know if the spots are filled up while you are away and there are others waiting (i.e. "rush hour charging"). Without waiting in the car or coming back to check, you wouldn't know for sure if there were free stations available or if all of them are taken. Regardless, it would be best to be concerned like it's a metered parking spot and move it when the time's up.

+1! My sentiments exactly!

eclecticflower said:
apvbguy said:
LEAFfan said:

+1!

here's another scenario for y'all to opine on,
you go to the mall/work/wherever and in getting there you use 30% of your capacity, you know that you can easily make a trip home on the battery power that you have remaining.
So the question is do you plug to top off your charge in or is it rude, obnoxious, antisocial or any other clever invectives you can conjure up?

It would all depend I suppose. I personally would plug in. However, if I were to notice a fellow Ev driver pull up checking out my spot. I would make an attempt offer my space to that person. I realize that's a perfect world scenereo where I had visual contact with my car at all times. In my area plug in spaces are rare. The cars needing that space is also rare. If I lived in an area with a higher concentration of Evs. I'd probably consider parking elsewhere. I guess one could say "the early bird gets the worm". Also, if carwings notified me of a full charge. I would go move my car. I realize in this "me me me" society we live in. Some folks would keep that spot weather they were charging or simply squatting. I say good for them. I wouldn't think that person was rude or anthing negative. They beat me to the spot.

I thought that the protocol is that you can unplug a vehicle if it was done charging (bonus points for adding a note to its/their windshield), which would obviate a lot of this discussion and the moral quandries inherent in it. Perhaps that assumes that there are two or more spaces which the charger cord can reach, but that has been my experience for the most part.

That latter part may not be the general rule though. Plus, I don't know if some (future?) vehicles don't or won't prevent the charger from being removed somehow. Anyone know if there are standards or laws that prevent manufacturers from implementing something of the sort?

mbender said:
apvbguy said:
are you aware that '13 LEAF has the ability to lock the evse?
As Ed McMahon might have said, "I did not know that."
So cancel everything I said above, except the "future?" part!

I use the lock feature at home, but I'd use the Auto setting (unlocks when charge is done, IIRC) if I could be reasonably sure I wouldn't regret doing so.

Maybe we should try something else: make up signs that say 'Just topping off- back in 20 (or 30) minutes', and leave one in the window. Someone could sell them with moveable clock hands on them (remember those?) to show when that would be.

Back