A middle ground between 110V trickle charging and 240V L2:

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhanson865 said:
first it's 120v not 110. Nowhere in North America* has actual 110v power. (see table of mains if you are curious where does have 110v)
I knew that. I hear it called 110 (and even 117 sometimes) and it sticks.. But I knew that one, sorry.
I am still working on the 240 and not 220 one too.. ;-)

dhanson865 said:
second the math is 16a * 120v = 1920 watts (1.9KW)
So, it is below the 3.3KW, but as you say below....

dhanson865 said:
third even though that is under the 3.3KW of the charger on a 2012 leaf just isn't setup to use more than 12a on 120V (2013 or newer would do it).
And that's why..
Great to know, thanx!!!
Even more reason for someone with a 6.6KW Leaf (I assume (I should stop doing that) that by 2013 or newer, you mean 6.6KW, as the 2013 S came with a 3.3, right?) to just go for 240v.

Especially as the prices are dropping on the EVSEs..
(I almost said "chargers".. Working on the EVSE vs "charger" one too..)

Thanx again for the clarifications!

desiv

Seems we are getting lots of redundant threads lately. Please refer to older threads so we don't beat this into the ground yet another time. Please see the practical advice above.

Just a note that the 2013 and later Leafs are actually 6.0Kw. Nissan cheated and went to an input rating in 2013 rather than the output rating (3.3Kw) that was used on the 2011 and 2012...

desiv said:
Even more reason for someone with a 6.6KW Leaf

TomT said:
Just a note that the 2013 and later Leafs are actually 6.0Kw. Nissan cheated and when to an input rating in 2013 rather than the output rating (3.3Kw) that was used on the 2011 and 2012...

desiv said:
Even more reason for someone with a 6.6KW Leaf
D'oh!
I knew that too.. :oops:

Easy to fall into bad habits.. ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

Let's take a moment to step back and take this for what it is- a middle ground. What the OP posted is not purported to be an L2 replacement, nor a panacea for the world's problems. I don't see why there's so much rudeness and hate- it's offered as an additional option, not the best option for everyone.

If someone needs just a little bit more than 12A L1, this could be just what they need. This is also good to know for people that already have an EVSEupgrade, since it's a new way to get use out of it that might make a little bit of difference for certain situations.

desiv said:
...Or are you saying that not specifically saying you should inspect means someone is saying that you shouldn't??
No, but to fail to be clear about it is wreckless.
The blog brags about posting 120V public outlets on Plugshare with no mention of inspections, dedicated circuits, permission to use, etc.
The kind of bad behaviour that generates risks and will give electric vehicles a bad reputation.

nedfunnell said:
Really, mods? You came in to clean up the thread and left the rude, uninformative ones?
There hasn't been any "cleanup" it's just confusing because the OP created two identical threads and they have both attracted similar comments.

davewill said:
nedfunnell said:
Really, mods? You came in to clean up the thread and left the rude, uninformative ones?
There hasn't been any "cleanup" it's just confusing because the OP created two identical threads and they have both attracted similar comments.
Ah, whoops.

Edit: The copy/paste replies didn't help much either.

To me, it doesn't really matter what the op writes or posts. I know from past experience that the purpose is just to post a URL to his little site where he is trying to get people to click on his links, "Buy him a cup of coffee", whatever...If his site goes away, then all of those postings disappear and are not really useful to MNL readers anyways.

The knowledge I have about the LEAF gets shared right here on this forum. No click throughs necessary. And with my car now being 4 years old, I will continue to share information about the car as I always have on this site..

I would like to remind people to refrain from insult, name calling and personal attacks.

Thank you-

Back