A GREAT visit to Laguna Beach Ca.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley

My wife and I took a day trip from our North County San Diego home to Laguna Beach. (105 miles round trip) We decided to go there because Laguna beach has installed L2 chargers making it possible to do the trip without range anxiety. We spent 3 and a half hours charging the Leaf, shopping, having lunch and viewing great art. As we were leaving the Charger a city employee, William Holoman, introduced himself and made us feel very welcome. He is a terific representative for Laguna. He is the person that oversaw the installation of the Chargers for the City Council that had voted to install them. He took pictures of our Leaf and a black Leaf charging next to ours to show the City Council that more chargers should be installed around Town. He asked if it would be important to allow advance reservations for the Chargers. We told him that we nearly did not make the trip because of the inability to reserve in advance. He told us he would share our information with the Council. Having infrastructure in place with a reservation process opens up a whole new world!!!

stanley said:
My wife and I took a day trip from our North County San Diego home to Laguna Beach. (105 miles round trip) We decided to go there because Laguna beach has installed L2 chargers making it possible to do the trip without range anxiety. We spent 3 and a half hours charging the Leaf, shopping, having lunch and viewing great art. As we were leaving the Charger a city employee, William Holoman, introduced himself and made us feel very welcome. He is a terific representative for Laguna. He is the person that oversaw the installation of the Chargers for the City Council that had voted to install them. He took pictures of our Leaf and a black Leaf charging next to ours to show the City Council that more chargers should be installed around Town. He asked if it would be important to allow advance reservations for the Chargers. We told him that we nearly did not make the trip because of the inability to reserve in advance. He told us he would share our information with the Council. Having infrastructure in place with a reservation process opens up a whole new world!!!

Great story. IMHO, Laguna Beach is a great location for L2 charging stations due to its location midway between population centers and it's great mix of destination attractions, art, restaurants and scenic attractions. Way to go, Laguna!

Agree! William came out and welcomed us as well. A very friendly guy. He must be really keeping an eye on those stations. I think ChargePoint has the ability to reserve but have not figured it out yet. Laguna is a fantastic destination especially in the summer when the free "Trollys" are running. Park, plug-in, walk a block to the Trolly stop and go anywhere up and down the Laguna PCH for free. Just plan to vacate the spot after 4 hours.

They also should have taken four spaces for EV charging since those units have 120v ports AND the locals are using the spaces to charge their golf carts (on 120v). I have seen more than one LEAF parked at a nearby meter while a golf cart charges.

I think a couple stations up near "Divers Cove" and a couple near the Montage would be awesome

I dropped by on a PCH cruise this afternoon to see if whether the Laguna Beach ChargePoint EVSEs were being used and was pleasantly surprised to see two LEAFs charging away, a red one and a silver one. I didn't need a charge, just thought I'd stop and see whether folks were using this new charging opportunity. I'm happy to say that they were!

Boomer23 said:
I dropped by on a PCH cruise this afternoon to see if whether the Laguna Beach ChargePoint EVSEs were being used and was pleasantly surprised to see two LEAFs charging away, a red one and a silver one. I didn't need a charge, just thought I'd stop and see whether folks were using this new charging opportunity. I'm happy to say that they were!

Lots of demand and we're only half way through 2011 deliveries.

I agree with the high charge demand in Laguna Beach. Just from the number of pleasant conversations I have had at those chargers, the LB crowd is VERY supportive of EV's.

The high demand and inability to reserve is why we decided to take the ICE rather than the Leaf to Laguna for the Pageant last week. It's a 140 mile round trip for us and not being able to charge would have been a disaster...

TRONZ said:
I agree with the high charge demand in Laguna Beach. Just from the number of pleasant conversations I have had at those chargers, the LB crowd is VERY supportive of EV's.

That's unfortunate, mogur. It's always exciting to see new stations going in, but I always cringe when I see just "two". Especially in popular places like LB, that's just not enough to put blind faith in long distances.

In LB's case, I wish they'd do away with free parking. I'm sure there are locals that certainly don't need a charge, consuming spaces for that reason alone.

Actually, Laguna Beach residents get a purple parking sticker that allows them to park anywhere in the city for free. It's "outsiders" that have to pay for parking at lots and meters. The only local I saw in an EV space was charging his golf cart... and left it for about 10 hours! I do not have knowledge of a LEAF owner in LB (with purple sticker on the bumper) yet.

Back