A/C Fix or Workaround???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
The point of the thread was to discover if this was a real fix or some temporary patch.
Is Nissan treating the symptom or the problem?

Exactly. There doesn't seem to be a way to tell if your car has the problem until it occurs. My conclusion is they don't have a fix because they aren't 100% sure what the cause is. Nissan's silence on the matter speaks volumes.

Boomer23 said:
I agree too, Gary. I'd like to test the system. So what's the best way...

I haven't picked up my Leaf yet (hopefully sometime next week, if my dashboard's not lying). But before I sign off on all the paperwork I'm thinking of asking my dealer to precool the car and then try to restart it right there on the lot before I take possession of it, just to see if the bug hits. Do you all think that's a reasonable request?

earther said:
Boomer23 said:

I haven't picked up my Leaf yet (hopefully sometime next week, if my dashboard's not lying). But before I sign off on all the paperwork I'm thinking of asking my dealer to precool the car and then try to restart it right there on the lot before I take possession of it, just to see if the bug hits. Do you all think that's a reasonable request?

There is no reset to do unless that car does not start. You can pre cool the car yourself there but that does not mean you have an issue or not. If the fix is really an over sensitive value then it could be fixed on every car IF Nissan wanted all values lowered, it may be some cars are more sensitive or under certain conditions and they prefer to use the higher value. Regardless, this entire issue is getting way overdone and there is far too much worry and concern over something that has been fixed on some cars far before the issue was even known. If you car works then take it home, if it has an issue pull the neg battery cable and put it back on, drive to a dealer when convenient and get it fixed. End of story, let it go everyone there is a three year warranty and the sly is not falling:)

garygid said:
Of 41 answering the poll, only 1 reports that they had the A/C problem with "B".

5 others report the problem, but all have "B" now.

Nobody reports knowing that they have (or had) "C".

Those with "A" have not reported the problem.

What version is installed by the Nissan Tech guys?
I'm not convinced they are installing firmware at all. Sure, they may have done it to some cars, especially early on, but in general, it seems more like they are adjusting a parameter. They aren't doing it generally because A) it doesn't seem to be needed in all (or even most?) cases, and B) they aren't ready/willing to commit to the new value as a permanent fix.

earther said:
Boomer23 said:

I think its reasonable and I thought about doing the same thing - peace of mind is valuable to me - the last thing I want is to be bragging about my new car to my co-workers one day and then asking for a ride home from the dealership the next. If I can get some assurance that my new car (to-be) was fixed or upgraded at the port or didn't have the problem to begin with I would feel better... I'm not overly worried about it though - I trust Nissan is doing the right thing and everything will work out. :)

davewill said:
I'm not convinced they are installing firmware at all. Sure, they may have done it to some cars, especially early on, but in general, it seems more like they are adjusting a parameter. They aren't doing it generally because A) it doesn't seem to be needed in all (or even most?) cases, and B) they aren't ready/willing to commit to the new value as a permanent fix.

Yeah - it's an interesting question. Can they actually adjust an individual parameter for some sensor, or do they need to completely reflash the car in order to do so? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they can't edit the firmware in the car and have to reflash for even a simple change.

Service campaign to be announced: see video from Nissan EVP Andy Palmer

updating software on all cars starting next week

glad to see Nissan is communicating with its customers.....

http://www.nissan-zeroemission.com/EN/LIBRARY/

I think he says in the video 8,000 leaf cars produced to date

transcript:Nissan EVP Andy Palmer spoke with the Nissan Media Center to update on developments with the Nissan Leaf.
Q1. What's the latest on the Nissan Leaf and how will the issue be addressed?
A1.
We are announcing a service campaign for the Nissan Leaf. We've produced almost 8,000 Leafs since the start of production in December, and what we've found is a problem.
The incidence of the problem, which I will explain in a moment, is only on a very small proportion of the vehicles. However, we've decided to perform a service campaign for all of the vehicles that we've produced and sold.
I want to emphasize that the issue is nothing to do with safety-related (issues). Nothing at all. The issue we have is the car will drive happily, but on some occasions when you key off, the car won't restart.
Now that's an inconvenience to the customer for sure, and we're not in the business of inconveniencing our customers.
So, even though the incidence and occurrence is very small, we've decided to reprogram the software and basically put that fix into the hands of all of our customers.
Q2. How long will the campaign take to roll out and what should current Nissan Leaf owners do?
A2.

Well, time is of the essence and we absolutely don't want to inconvenience our customers, so we need to go as quickly as possible.

We've understood the root cause of the problem. The engineers are just finishing off the software reprogramming, and our intention is to start the service campaign next week.

Next week means we are going to contact all the customers that we've sold Nissan Leaf to, or they can contact us, and we'll program into their diaries a convenient moment, and we'll reprogram their software.

Q3. Since the tragic events of March 11, production in Japan and rollout has been affected. Can you tell us the company's current expectations for further global rollout of the Nissan Leaf this year?
A3.
To date, we've made almost 8,000 vehicles, which makes us - if not the biggest - one of the biggest producers of Electric Vehicles in the world. So, it was going well, and the start of production of a brand new car -- brand new technical concept, has gone remarkably smoothly, thanks to the experience that Nissan has had in the past.
The earthquake has inconvenienced us -- it's stopped the track and, as everybody knows, all of the vehicle manufacturers, not only in Japan but all around the world, have problems of supply.
The good news is that Oppama has restarted - that's the manufacturing site for Nissan Leaf. We're producing batteries in AESC (Automotive Energy Supply Corp.), so our in-house plant is now producing cars.

We still have some issues in terms of supply of parts from suppliers and we're managing those on a day-by-day basis. But we fully expect to be back to full capacity in the very-near future, and those lost sales we're going to endeavor to catch up in the second half of the year. There's an awful lot of customers waiting, and it's our intention to satisfy that demand - huge pent up demand - as quickly as we can.

###
Nissan regrets any inconvenience caused by this issue and thanks its customers for their understanding as it is quickly resolved.

what will you do if it does not start, walk away from the deal and get in line for a 2012?

again lets not blow this out here, its a service campaign nothing more, every car mfr does tons of them on all cars everyday.

you get it updated and your done

kmp647 said:
Service campaign to be announced: see video from Nissan EVP Andy Palmer updating software on all cars starting next week
http://www.nissan-zeroemission.com/EN/LIBRARY/movie.html?bcpid904779411001?bctid=808247873001

Outstanding! Nissan needs to do this to relieve concerns that car may not start at an inconvenient time. I would like to see this in a separate thread, so everyone who comes to the board can find it easily. The only question remaining is whether cars delivered from this point on will already have the software fix in place.

A very good, positive, and reasonable statement from Nissan ...
without revealing any technical details.

1. understood ... root cause
2. finishing ... reprogramming
3. all customers ... reprogram
4. next week

Good news for all of us.

I wonder what the Version Number will be ... 3NA0D ?

I think I will go use the button sequence:
MAP 3x, Audio Power 2x (On, then Off), MAP 1x
to see and write down ALL my LEAF's listed Version Numbers.

Thanks Nissan!

I started a separate thread so that everyone will see the statement from Nissan and others won't have to read through pages of speculation if they don't want to:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3387

garygid said:
A very good, positive, and reasonable statement from Nissan ...
without revealing any technical details.

1. understood ... root cause
2. finishing ... reprogramming
3. all customers ... reprogram
4. next week

Good news for all of us.

I liked what I heard too.

I will be taking Sally in for reprogramming (again) even though she has not mis-behaved since her last visit and return to "B" from whichever version she started at. I like the sound that the have understood the root cause. If they are reprogramming, "B" isn't the answer. :)

Back