A 1999 article in The Guardian predicting the future of EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsayNB

Will we all be driving EVs in ten years' time? Not without a Government conversion to ecological fanaticism, though EVs will probably continue to form part of some traffic management schemes. 'My guess,' says Roger Higman, senior transport campaigner at Friends of the Earth, 'is that people will think battery-power is not going anywhere. There will still be some hybrids around but the front runner for new cars looks like the fuel cell.' Most EV watchers agree. Ford, Toyota, Mercedes and others are well into development of this potentially zero-emission option, where electricity is produced from a reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. They're competing to have a model on the road by 2004.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/1999/may/17/motoring?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

There will still be some hybrids around but the front runner for new cars looks like the fuel cell.
Do these guys realize I have a book on electric vehicles from 1978 that says almost the exact same thing? Yeah, that hydrogen fuel cell thing is really taking off!

Interesting. I think the oil industry likes the fuel cell idea because it's another type of fuel that will need to be "pumped" into the car.

Though I am glad to see alternatives to gasoline being developed, I doubt that Fuel Cell technology is going to be ready before electric cars take over!

It's too expensive and dangerous to ship the fuel right now and the infrastructure costs are probably more expensive then installing charging docks.

Just my humble opinion. :D

sdbmania said:
Interesting. I think the oil industry likes the fuel cell idea because it's another type of fuel that will need to be "pumped" into the car.
They like it because the most economical way to make hydrogen is to use fossil fuels.

The good thing about fuel cell vehicles is aside from the fuel cell they are essentially BEVs. Electric motor, small battery pack for regen. Seems like a lot of overlapping technology, so innovation could benefit both formats.

This prediction isn't very surprising given what was going on at the time.

There was a huge corporate funded / lobbied (oil and auto industry) push on Fuel Cells at the time culminating in the Bush Administration's massive funding of Fuel Cell vehicle research, with the industry and industry lobbied government officials saying Fuel Cell vehicles would be practical in less than a decade (5 years was always thrown around). That was a farce of course, but these companies got billions in US government funding, spurred other governments to fund fuel cell development for their auto companies and most importantly kept everyone buying ICE vehicles and oil based fuels while the public thought they were really getting us close to moving off oil (which they weren't).

A win, win for oil companies and vehicle manufactures - keeping everything like it was (especially after that close call with the public getting a taste of EV's, and really getting off oil, in the late 90's there in CA).

The current administration has tried to scale back the fuel cell vehicle research since its not likely to pay off in the short or medium term - however lobbyists have continued to get the funding restored in the house and senate over the last 2 years and the government funded fuel cell campaign continues so you'll continue to hear about them and how they are just 5 years away until that spigot gets turned off.

bdgotoh has a great point there, other than the fuel cell itself, the vehicle is basically a BEV and most of its technology is directly applicable.

*yawn* another article that touts a "100% solution"

ya, sure...that will work in another 40-50 years. but we cant wait that long, so a half dozen 10% solutions is where its at. with current battery technology, the EV does a pretty good job of covering its 10%. with improvements, EVs will increase their usefulness.

add to that, advances in solar photovotaics, wind, geothermal, etc and pretty soon, we may find that that "100% solution" will only have to cover less than half

Fuel cell infrastructure not there and extremely expensive; energy use per mile way higher than with 'normal' EV. Get the battery technology improved and cost down (to where you can have 250-300 mile range with <10min charge time to 80%), and EV can cover EVERYBODY.

Just another humble opinion :shock:

Back