80% of 11 bar battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomkovic

The battery has highest internal resistance at the high and low ends of state of charge so it's more efficient and less taxing of the battery to not charge to 100 %. But what if your battery has lost a bar of capacity? Charging to 80% of original capacity may now be 90% of present capacity. So once you've lost a couple bars a 100% charge is now 80% of original capacity. So in that case does it matter in terms of battery life if you charge to 100%?

Sorry if this is an old issue. I couldn't find it anywhere.

tomkovic said:
The battery has highest internal resistance at the high and low ends of state of charge so it's more efficient and less taxing of the battery to not charge to 100 %. But what if your battery has lost a bar of capacity? Charging to 80% of original capacity may now be 90% of present capacity. So once you've lost a couple bars a 100% charge is now 80% of original capacity. So in that case does it matter in terms of battery life if you charge to 100%?

Sorry if this is an old issue. I couldn't find it anywhere.
Your wording of this question is a little confusing, but yes, it still matters. The charging bars always represent a percentage of the CURRENT capacity, not original capacity, so charging to 100% even though battery capacity is at 80% is still a "deep" cycle.

These issues has been discussed at length here. The fact that you couldn't find it anywhere just reflects on the difficulty of searching this forum. Using the Google custom search bar usually returns better results.

The consensus seems to be that charging to 100% is less of a factor in battery life than heat and calendar aging. Put another way, it appears that both calendar capacity loss and cycling capacity loss are temperature dependent, with climate being a large contributing factor in both. Some people have charged to 100% every single day in cool climates (PacNW) and suffered much less capacity degradation than others in hot climates who have babied their battery pack by only charging to 80% religiously (AZ, TX, FL). I suggest you peruse the battery capacity wiki rather than search the forums: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss

The bottom-line reality is that as you lose battery capacity, it becomes a necessity to charge to 100% more often (and perhaps QC more) in order to maintain the same functionality of the vehicle, which will indeed hasten further degradation, but the degradation curve is also flattening out somewhat at that time, so the effect may be diminished compared to when the battery was new. In the bigger picture, it seems where you live has the most to do with how quickly your battery degrades. I don't see your location in your profile--adding it may help people answer your questions in the future.

TT

the syb program was supposed to fix all that--except that it was a bad financial idea from the start.
i wonder if nissan has abandoned it.
we are three months into 2014, with plenty of three-year-old LEAFS around, and many with degraded range.

Yep, I got my third year battery check last week (it cost $57) and got - wait for it - all five stars!

thankyouOB said:
the syb program was supposed to fix all that--except that it was a bad financial idea from the start.
i wonder if nissan has abandoned it. we are three months into 2014, with plenty of three-year-old LEAFS around, and many with degraded range.

TomT said:
Yep, I got me third year battery check last week (it cost $57) and got - wait for it - all five stars!

Is the 3rd year test mandatory? If not, I'm not going to get it done. Its just a waste of time and money to get another "5 stars", while the LEAFScan tells me the real condition more accurately. IMO, if Nissan really wants to track the health of these batteries they should pay the dealer for it, not me.
Back on topic: I'm in that same boat, having to charge to 100% of my 80% capacity more often. And yes, charging to 100% of 80% is just as degrading as charging 100% to 100%. But, as others have noted, in South Florida I'm much more concerned about the rapid heat degradation.

Thank you. Your answers are what I expected although I was hoping for a different answer. I will have to go to 100% more often as capacity continues to degrade in the future. I live in Healdsburg,Ca. It gets hot here during the day in the summer then cools off at night. Most of my charging will take place at night . I guess it gets cool at night in Arizona too although probably less so. We'll see. As for the elegance of my question, I'm open to suggestions.

Back