62kWh Battery heater

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oxothuk said:
Since it is 50% larger I would presume that the 62kWh battery does not cool down as quickly in extreme conditions as the 40kWh battery.
The battery also does not heat up as fast, for the same reasons.

You have to look at the minimum average ambient over say 3 day stretches for a 5 - 10 year period. IIRC a too cold battery suffers irreversible damage, perhaps even a dead pack. So one such event for a car is one too many. My winter is no where near as cold as most of Finland but when average daily ambient goes below 15F I pay attention to the LEAF and take steps to keep the pack comfortably above 10F.

I've give it a few days before the curiosity monster takes me over to find out. I'm trying to find a technical contact at the Nissan HQ to see if they can give me a better answer than just "software". Might as well be an "app" that keep the battery warm as much as it will extend wings and jets for hover mode. :lol:

It should be noted that the 62kwh pack isn't actually 50% larger than the 40kwh pack - it has more capacity, and somewhat more mass. IIRC, the Plus Leafs are about 200lbs heavier than the 40kwh cars, and some of that is additional non-pack hardware.

Before we left from Kansas to return to Chicsgo, I was pretty surprised to find that the 62 battery had only cooled mid 60s (from 80s) in low 40s ambient temps.

Equalization can take a while.

I wasn't able to get a "satisfactory" answer from Nissan HQ, well at least my contacts said their technical contacts were not really sure how the "software" mode is able to keep the battery warm. I asked if it is powering an internal star gate or perhaps a lossy perpetual motion machine :lol: , but without a more technical answer I guess it is time to start planning an experiment (wife groans discontent in the background). I'll create another topic for it since it's possible someone might post up a better technical explanation in this one later before I ever get started. :?

Back