55 mile commute each way... Is Leaf even an option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
Gmoney0205 said:
I have addrd the volt fit ev and fiat 500e to my options

The Fit EV lease is amazing but huge waitlist so not sure its even an option.

The only problem with the compliance cars is they will not be well supported long term by the OEM's. AN example is the Rav4 EV has once again been cancelled. Great car, but who knows how Toyota will support this and for how long.

Very true.

Yah but the fit is only a lease so i wouldnt care about long term stuff... But you cannot find it anywhere so its not an option.

Rav4 also is just a lease.

I think i might be down to Leaf or Volt.

Gmoney0205 said:
Yah but the fit is only a lease so i wouldnt care about long term stuff... But you cannot find it anywhere so its not an option.

Rav4 also is just a lease.

I think i might be down to Leaf or Volt.
Just to avoid confusion, the RAV4 EV can also be purchased. Range wise, the RAV4 EV is the best bang for the buck tho, but haven't seen any 'buy' deals lately.

Last but not least, you mentioned kids. The Volt doesn't have as much interior space as the LEAF (for now), so that might be another issue.

At 110 miles on a daily basis, and several kids, you could almost justify a Tesla ;) I don't want to pull a Tesla here, and make the payments sound cheaper than they are, but you do have to do the math, and see how much you spend on gas now.

I also didn't see the Mercedes B-Class EV mentioned, which has a Tesla drivetrain, and should be available soon.

lion said:
Just to avoid confusion, the RAV4 EV can also be purchased.
You can buy out the Rav lease for an effective purchase price of $33-34k (that would include the fed's $7500 already but not the state's $2500.) This makes a great deal more sense than doing a straight purchase, as Toyota doesn't have any good incentives in place for purchases (likely to avoid cars getting registered outside of California.)

My commute is around 100 miles every day. It drains between 55 - 65 % battery at regular speed with AC on and phone charging all the time.

I have a charger at home as well as at work. I have even managed to drive it back home with 49% battery consumption couple of times but that has to be around speed of 50.

khurramji said:
My commute is around 100 miles every day. It drains between 55 - 65 % battery at regular speed with AC on and phone charging all the time.

I have a charger at home as well as at work. I have even managed to drive it back home with 49% battery consumption couple of times but that has to be around speed of 50.

What are temps where u live?

Good (and bad) part of my commute is on way back from work there will be traffic so my avg speed will definitely be slower.

As for RavEV, i know you can purchase but if its discontinued im not sure i want to buy it.

Living in California and drive from San Jose to Easy bay ... Today morning started with a charge of 82% and reached work at 22% with driving in the carpool lane at 70 mph.

khurramji said:
Living in California and drive from San Jose to Easy bay ... Today morning started with a charge of 82% and reached work at 22% with driving in the carpool lane at 70 mph.
Excellent info thank you.

How long have you had your leaf? How many bars have you lost if any?

No bars lost .. Its a 2014 Lease ... Have it for 2.5 months now and mileage already is 3250 miles ...

No complaints .. It will get sometime for you to adjust and understand ..

I have driven it from Tracy to Santa Clara couple of times with 30% charge left ..

Great thanks.

Another question, do you think I am better off going with a 2015 S with charge package vs a 2014 sv with charge/led? Is carwings worth it? I really dont care for the navigation at all and can use my phone for that.

That will be a choice for you to decide ... To be honest, I really dont know much about the 2015 or Carwings ...

I just saw your post on range and thought to respond as it looks similar to what I drive ..

Gmoney0205 said:
Good (and bad) part of my commute is on way back from work there will be traffic so my avg speed will definitely be slower.

Traffic and slower speeds work in your favor when it comes to range. I always get asked, "but what if you get stuck in a traffic jam"? I'm not sure people believe me when I say it helps increase my vehicle mileage.

JPWhite said:
The only problem with the compliance cars is they will not be well supported long term by the OEM's. AN example is the Rav4 EV has once again been cancelled. Great car, but who knows how Toyota will support this and for how long.
I don't really think it's fair to draw that conclusion. While the compliance car makers will certainly whine about it, they'll keep the cars running. They have to. And the thing about the Rav is everything important is made by Tesla. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I'd like to think Tesla will stand by their EV components even if Toyota won't. And everything else is pretty much the same as a stock Rav4 (2012 edition.) So I don't have any worries about lack of part availability or anything like that. In fact, this is an advantage of "conversion" type cars (which all compliance cars are) if anything - think about how crazy expensive the Leaf headlights are since they're one-of-a-kind. As far as support for things like software updates, yeah that sucks, but then again is the Leaf support really that much better?

Bottom line is I'd rather have an "unsupported" thermally-protected Tesla battery than a "supported" but non-TMS Leaf battery. And of course I prefer a battery that's twice as big! Anyway, I have both a Leaf and Rav now and if I had the choice to do it over again there's no way I'd even consider the Leaf - especially not with a 110 mile commute! Just my two cents...

Well I emailed Dianne and never heard back. Not sure if there are that many Rav4 EVs left.

Here is what a dealership quoted me with VPP pricing:

2015 Leaf S with Quick charge.... Zero drive off, 35 payments at 369.84, 15 k miles residual of 12480. Msrp 32000, price before rebate $29565.... This computes to a little over $25000 total for car if I refi it to purchase minus $2500 cali state rebate so 22500.

For purchase they want 72 months at $464.93 with zero down and including tax title and fees.
That equals about $33475 total payments -7500 fed -2500 state = $23475

They claim that with $3500 rebate you cannot combine it with zero percent aprand gave me a 4.99% rate. Still something doesnt add up.. For purchase, the 29565- 3500-7500-2500 =$16065. Taxe title etc ahouldnt be more than $3000 (8% sales tax) and even with 5% interest, you add about $1500 so i would then be at $20565..... Where is the extra $3000 coming from??????

I bought my car expecting it would be good for a 55 mile round trip commute (no charging at work). I figured that towards the end, If I had to stop for a cup of coffee for 15 minutes or so, it would be no big deal.

Back