5 Years of Ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is my 5 years ownership anniversary. Original owner, paid full MSRP, 2011 SL, Chademo DCQC, 3.8 KW Charger, 33,288 mi, 10 charge bars, 48.82 Ahr, 53.97 Hx , 74 SOH, 41.7% SOC (I don't normally charge it to full except on the weekend), 3.889 V, 82.9 degrees F (parked outside overnight, not charged). Our temperatures are very hot in the summer (90-115 F), so not you're typical expectation for the PNW. My commute is 8 mi RT, all 35 mph, very little highway speeds. I've taken a few trips out of town, some with DCQC, but mostly I'm limited to in-town due to the lack of DCQC stations within 80-120 mi.

The vehicle operates perfectly for my expected use. No L2 charging station needed due to my short daily mileage. Unfortunately, even with my low mileage, keeping the battery around 40% SOC most of the time, low speed operations, etc., I've seen more degradation than I expected and more than Nissan advertised (everyone knows the drill). I'm not happy about that, but I should still get another 10 years of use, maybe 15. Unfortunately, I was planning for this to be my last car (expecting to drive it well after turning 75, but in town 5-10 mi). I'll still keep it until it won't make it 10 mi RT to the grocery store. My 25 yo ICE pickup is only really acceptable for taking waste to the local landfill (no current safety features, rear bumper, airbags, or A/C, somewhat unstable driving above 70 mph, etc.).

After five years, EVs are "just starting" to take off, but in Eastern WA, there are relatively few EVs and charging stations. Nearby DCQC's are non-existent, but perhaps coming soon. I'm disappointed in the winter regen braking (even at low speed) and the reduced range, but it still works just fine for me down to 0 F (if we ever have those temps again, my winter trips across town, 30 mi RT may become problematic). I don't mind the energy-hogging heater, and don't have the winter package, but would certainly have wanted a more efficient system, and the ability to condition the battery to 70 F in winter and summer.

I won't be updating this vehicle due to costs and depreciation. IF Nissan wants to lease me a new battery (with the newest tech) for $100/mo in 2030 as previously promised, then I'd consider it. I highly doubt they will fulfill their promise, since: 1) the 2030 battery will likely be incompatible, contrary to their promises and 2) the $100/mo lease will not be available since they will inflation-adjust the value.

I will likely NOT be buying another new Nissan. Yes, the 2011 Leaf has been perfectly acceptable for me, but I've got a Tesla Model 3 reservation. We'll see how that works out. I won't be an early adopter again, this time waiting until others have proven the technology. I'll probably cancel the Tesla reservation, or at least defer it for a few additional years. More likely, I'll purchase used, and let someone else take the first 5 years of depreciation. I'll still be driving the Leaf, so there isn't quite as much rush to purchase new.

I'd be interested in hearing an account of a varied set of original owners. My 2011 hit five years in June and it is almost as though I just got it. I am perhaps the ideal target consumer for this. My daily mileage is low so I can charge at home all the time (on a relatively cheap TOU plan). On the rare occasions I need to go more than 50 miles in a day I take the ICE car so I don't have to worry about range or charging. The climate is about as mild as it gets anywhere in the U.S. year round. I've lost only one bar and had no service issues. I did just buy my first set of new tires, but that's the only significant expense I've put into it, other than some minor body work to repair a panel I scraped on a high curb. My only performance gripes are the underpowered heater, bad sound system, and short sun visor, all very minor. I also am still ticked that the promotional firm Nissan hired talked me into upgrading to an SL and joining the EV Project and that project telling me the house wiring upgrade could be done for the government grant price. I spent an extra $2,500 or so for those amenities and have essentially never used them. My attempts to QC have been only sporadically successful for all the reasons discussed in these forums (flaky QC units, QC in use, not located near where I'm going to be, etc.) so I gave up trying after the first year or so and just swap cars with my wife, who loves the Leaf, too. I use the L2 EVSE in my garage, but I had no trouble using the L1 when I was waiting for the install. I wish I'd stuck with the SV. I know other original 2011 owners will have very different stories, but I really love the handling, the cheap operating/repair costs, and the avoidance of the inconvenience of servicing and gassing up an ICE. Although I no longer commute and rarely drive during commute hours, I do occasionally make good use of the HOV lane, too. All in all, the Leaf has been, and continues to be, great for us. BTW, thanks Patrick0101 for that link to the very interesting article.

Original 5+year owner since May who just noticed the second bar dropped at around 30,000 miles this month. I do make regular trips in the 100-150 mile range, so I really appreciate having QC available with the dealership QCs being quite reliable. Probably will need new tires in the near future. Brakes on regular mode is very grabby but fine in eco mode. Rarely use heater or air conditioner, thanks to mild climate. Trailer hitch added to carry bikes and have no complaints about handling.

The EV dilemma: Am considering Tesla Model 3 (reservation tendered) for more range but ambivalent because their energy efficiency (as in model S) is worse than the 244 watts per mile that I am averaging with the Leaf. Leaf doesn't fill the distance gap, but for the usual 80% around town trip, I wouldn't want to carry so much battery weight. Only makes sense to Tesla-share for longer trips. Am trying to get off ICE entirely.

Our LEAF, which we purchased new for $1K under MSRP in April 2011, is currently at 65K miles on the odometer and two bars of capacity loss. It's as good as new for all of our "local" drives within the communities of the San Bernardino Mountains and is actually somewhat more functional for long roundtrips to the LA/OC areas than in 2011/2012 thanks to all of the charging infrastructure that has arisen. For quick trips down the mountain (a descent of 4900 feet), however, it has become much less useful because it no longer has enough battery capacity or good enough regen to make the roundtrip on a single charge. So we mostly think of the car as an on-the-mountain-only car, and any long trips that we can use it for are like bonuses (though they require additional effort).

Looking back, I wish that Nissan had given the original LEAF a 30 kWh battery for a true 100 mile range to match their marketing. We'd be happier with it now. And of course Nissan should have taken the time to more carefully test their batteries, even if this delayed the LEAF by a couple of years. If I had to do it over again, I'd have skipped the LEAF and saved the money toward a Tesla, and kept driving our Prius as a primary car to tide us over. On the other hand, I've appreciated being able to drive electric the majority of the time for 5+ years, and I'm grateful that Nissan decided to develop an EV.

Back