3.3 vs 6.6 charger is it worth the extra money

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trexmdr

3.3 vs 6.6 onboard charger is it worth the extra money?
I understand it is standard in the sv and sl

also is there a table for the 2013 leaf that shows the differences betwee s, sv and sl?

(I'm typing on a phone.)
Yes, if you care about being able to fill up more quickly on level 2 stations that are greater than 16 amps. But if 16 amps or below or when using the stock L1 EVSE, the higher wattage won't help.

I love the 6.6 kW OBC since it lets me fill up MUCH faster on public L2 charging and at work. I also can plug in MUCH later in the day, when there are plugs open and I tie up a space and handle for less time.

See specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

Depends how often you expect to use level 2 charging. I do most of my charging on a Level 2 EVSE, so I appreciate the quicker charge times.

For example, I typically need to add 50% - 60% of the pack charge (approx 20kwh), or 10kwh to 12kwh. Obviously, there are some losses and other factors but ballpark the charge times as 3 to 3-1/2 hrs for a 3.6 kw charger and 1-1/2 to 2 hrs for a 6.6 kw charger.

See the table on this page for a detailed breakdown of S/SV/SL features:

http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-overview-and-specifications/

EDIT: beat by about 2 mins on that reply by cwerdna :lol:

This definitely depends in your individual needs.

There are days that I know that I'll be running out of charge by the end of the day, so I plug in to a Level 2 charger for an hour and get another 25 miles with my 6.6kW charger. Had I settled for a 3.3kW I'd only be getting 17 miles more in the hour I charge.

This is similar to CHAdeMO. I've taken my Leaf out of town and have plugged in to a Level 2 charging station for a few hours, enough to "fill up" with the 6.6kW charger and then drive home. That's a lot better than having to wait 6 hours for the Leaf to charge, especially since a lot of the level 2 charging stations around here have a 4 hour limit.

This also keeps the resell value of the Leaf higher. The are a lot of used 3.3kW Leafs going for less than $5,000, but it's hard to find a used 6.6kW Leaf for less than $7,000.

Worth it to whom, and for how much ?

I have a 2013 'S' with the 6.6 kW OBC and DCFC options. I may never use the DCFC, but I have already found the 6.6 kW to be a convenience I'm glad to have at home even though almost all our charging is at the end of a days use. One time the 6.6 kW came in handy when we forgot to charge the day beforehand; another couple times it came in handy when we decided on the spur of the moment to take a long drive: the 6.6 kW let us top off the battery in under an hour.

So for us, the 6.6 kW has added flexibility to our car use we appreciate. My wife started out a bit skeptical of the LEAF and is now a fan, in part because charging is not a hindrance at all.

IMO, 6.6 vs 3.3 is one of those features that you won't really appreciate until you own -- which is why you came to a forum of owners, you clever thing you!

Let's say you use 40-50% of your battery on your daily commute/errands, and then you want to go out to dinner at some "destination"-type spot, where maybe you'll have to drive a little farther to have the experience. Do you really want to be anxious, after your fine night out, about whether you'll make it home before getting the "low battery" warning?

Plugging in when I get home and being ready to go wherever I want by evening is one of the big pluses of a 6.6 (and it's why I bought a 40amp Level 2 for Xmas).

tl;dr version: A 6.6 car is Xanax for range anxiety.

Ladies and Gents,
I have to honestly say that my original post was to get a cheap stripped down version to just run around town as I was skeptical about the leaf and having range anxiety, but with your posts I have decided to get a 2013 sv with the 6.6 and use the leaf for more than I had thought possible.
I will begin my search today. I live in Los Angeles. I do not know how the market is but now I am clear on my purchase.
I will also purchase the diagnostic software to make sure I am getting what is advertised.
Thanks so much,
Looking forward to joining the revolution!
RT

Well, my two pieces of advice to any potential Leaf owner - you want a 6.6 kw charger and you want L2 charging at home. Slow charges effectively reduce the usefulness of your EV. Very slow charges (L1) substantially reduce the usefulness of your EV.

trexmdr said:
Ladies and Gents,
I have to honestly say that my original post was to get a cheap stripped down version to just run around town as I was skeptical about the leaf and having range anxiety, but with your posts I have decided to get a 2013 sv with the 6.6 and use the leaf for more than I had thought possible.
I will begin my search today. I live in Los Angeles. I do not know how the market is but now I am clear on my purchase.
I will also purchase the diagnostic software to make sure I am getting what is advertised.
Thanks so much,
Looking forward to joining the revolution!
RT
I bought my '13 in December from a broker in Sacramento who publishes LEAfSpy data. He is clued in, and buys cars that have lived in the the cooler Bay area of NorCal and then stores them at ~ 50F at half charge until they are sold. My car, e.g., has 98% of new battery charge and health. PM me if you would like a referral.

All the best in your search, and let us know how things work out.

-- Eric

Just to support your conclusion. Los Angeles has a ton of L2 around. The only thing my 2011 falls short, for me to miss, is the larger OBC. If you use it just a few times to charge when needed, you will indeed be happy to not sit around for a charge.

Back