2nd Year Service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

I had my 2nd year service the other day. Mostly same process as last year. This time they did the LEAF VCMTCU Recall #P1273, multi-point inspection, and annual battery check. I declined the brake fluid change and I had already changed the cabin filter.

The reprogramming deleted my charging timer, so heads up there. They set my tire pressure back down to 36PSI, so I need to get that "fixed". I run them at 41PSI. Battery was five stars across the board. They also gave me a new "revised" owners manual. The process (including a wash) took an hour and a half.

May I ask why you declined the break fluid flush? You don't state your miles, but I know many people will hit the mileage (30k) milestone in addition to the time (24 month) milestone.

Stanton said:
May I ask why you declined the break fluid flush? You don't state your miles, but I know many people will hit the mileage (30k) milestone in addition to the time (24 month) milestone.
Because I do it myself. I own a brake system vacuum pump and the whole process only takes about a half and hour or so.

I've got my appointment tomorrow - brake fluid flush; annual (5 star) battery check; NTBs for slow speed breaking and telematics. That's all folks. :D

Oh, and I'll buy windshield wiper refills from the parts department. Not paying to have those installed! ;)

Why was I thinking brake flushes were not necessary until 100,000 miles or more?

I'm coming up on 2 years pretty soon too. In fact I noticed my inspection sticker is due in April. Since mine was one of the first Leafs in this area, I'm betting none of the usual inspection places will have dealt with it before.

adric22 said:
mwalsh said:
30k or 24 months on the LEAF, and that's on both service schedules.
Is that normal for all cars? or is there something special about the Leaf that makes this needed more often?

We've discussed this before, but I can't be arsed to find the threads. Theories ranged from Nissan wanting to throw their dealers a service opportunity bone to the LEAF's system possibly being more susceptible to water build-up.

Besides, since the warranty calls for following the service schedule, and the braking system incorporates some very expensive parts, one would probably be somewhat foolish in not complying.

I will probably have the brake fluid flush done at two years as well. Even though I hate paying for overpriced services from a dealer, it might be worth it just because of convenience and piece of mind in case something goes wrong.

So what is a fair price for a brake fluid flush from the dealer? I think they gave me a price at the 1 year battery check but I had already zoned the guy out after the $100 cabin filter quote.

DTB said:
I will probably have the brake fluid flush done at two years as well. Even though I hate paying for overpriced services from a dealer, it might be worth it just because of convenience and piece of mind in case something goes wrong.

So what is a fair price for a brake fluid flush from the dealer? I think they gave me a price at the 1 year battery check but I had already zoned the guy out after the $100 cabin filter quote.

I'm at the dealership right now, waiting on my car (they offered a free loaner, but not a LEAF so I just decided to wait) - my work order indicates $85. But I'm going to use Nissan Rewards points to cover it.

DTB said:

You may want to check the moisture content with a DMM before you decide to have it changed. If it reads .3 +- or lower then it is still good and wouldn't have to be changed.

adric22 said:
mwalsh said:
30k or 24 months on the LEAF, and that's on both service schedules.
Is that normal for all cars? or is there something special about the Leaf that makes this needed more often?
My service writer told me all the new Nissans had a similar schedule. But he told me they typically recommend it at 40,000 or so instead.

I recently paid my Honda dealer $100.00 to do this for the first time on our HCH at 10.5 years/90,000 miles. I think it needed it and I don't have a good way to flush brake fluid at home (plus I don't like dealing with brake fluid).

I am under the impression that the system they use in the shops to replace brake fluid is not only faster, but it does a better job of flushing all the fluid with new fluid. Is that true, or am I giving them too much credit?

LEAFer said:
mwalsh said:
My LEAF's dead...they somehow managed to kill that oh-so-delicate on-board charger. :(
:shock:

:evil:

mwalsh said:
In a loaner LEAF ...
:D

Don't smile so wide...it's covered in cheesy advertising graphics; it doesn't have HOV decals; and it doesn't know who I am (no linked cell phone; Homelink programming; or CarWings access).

mwalsh said:
Don't smile so wide...it's covered in cheesy advertising graphics; it doesn't have HOV decals; and it doesn't know who I am (no linked cell phone; Homelink programming; or CarWings access).
Wow! Most people complain when they don't get a LEAF loaner, but I wouldn't have thought of all those issues!

...and sorry about your charger!

What service were they supposedly performing at the time?

mwalsh said:
My LEAF's dead...they somehow managed to kill that oh-so-delicate on-board charger. :( In a loaner LEAF until they can figure out what to do. Still, at least they had a loaner to allow me use of.

adric22 said:
Why was I thinking brake flushes were not necessary until 100,000 miles or more?...
Many mfgrs ask for a 2 year replacement cycle. The fluid reservoir and all rubber seals, hoses, etc are permeable to water, which eventually make the brake fluid less effective when hot and will lead to internal corrosion. New brake fluid looks more or less like water; usually you want to flush it out before it looks like honey. I've heard you can buy a test strip at auto parts stores to check, but I just stick with the manufacturer's recommendation.

I've even changed fluid out in collector cars that are hardly driven at 2 years; the fluid was noticeably darkened by then and it's cheaper to flush every 2 years than to rebuild the brake system at 6-8 years.

TomT said:
What service were they supposedly performing at the time?

I had asked for brake fluid; annual battery check; and the NTBs for grabby brakes and telematics connectivity. They had said there were a couple of other recalls that we're necessary for my car, but were somewhat vague when I asked what they were for. I noticed that they charged my car to 100% (got a 12 of 12 bars text @ around 1:20pm) and thought all was going well (except it was taking a f**king long time) until they finally told me at about 4:30pm that my OBC was dead. :?

Back