2021 leaf battery condition

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeDenn

Is there an easy way to tell the battery health of a 2021 Leaf? There are loads of instructions and videos on how to do it on the 2018 models, but I cannot find any on the newer model?​

I don’t know if you still need this information but the far left screen behind the steering wheel shows battery stuff. Top screen is usually the power wheel full size, the next one down shows the time to charge followed by the battery temp and the capacity. There are 12 bars of capacity but there is a big range to the first bar and it doesn’t really tell you much about the state of health unless you get LeafSpy app and an OBD II dongle.

Is there an easy way to tell the battery health of a 2021 Leaf? There are loads of instructions and videos on how to do it on the 2018 models, but I cannot find any on the newer model?​

Yep. But it costs money. Theres an app called LeafSpy pro. LeafSpy lite might do it too. Both need you to have a little dongle that fits in a panel under the dash (and often makes the cover not fit anymore. I bought a used sv and the cover was just gone. Former owner must have used it too. Lite is free, pro is not. Both require the dongle though. And of course you’ve got to have an android or iPhone to run it on.

Agreed. I wish I’d known about it when I bought mine. Not something a dealer is going to tell you though.
Because they want you to pay them $100/hr to slap the CONSULT tool on it for you! LeafSpy can even do things like modify the behavior of the door locks...which previously could only be done with the Nissan CONSULT.
Without LeafSpy, I wouldn't have been able to diagnose (and replace) weak/bad cells/modules in my battery pack.

Yep, LeafSpy lite is free and the Dongle was about $20. Very useful for battery condition. I watched my 2020MY Leaf lose 7% of its capacity in just 10,400 miles. I also carry the Dongle in my Petrol Car so when I look at a used Leaf, I can see the battery condition and what kind of charging was used. My 2020 it showed I'd quick charged 17 times,16 times L1, and the rest L2. My Home charger was a 16 amp, 240 volt L2 charger which added 10% capacity per hour on a 40kwh battery pack. Very convenient for knowing how long to charge for an 80% fill.

Yep, LeafSpy lite is free and the Dongle was about $20. Very useful for battery condition. I watched my 2020MY Leaf lose 7% of its capacity in just 10,400 miles. I also carry the Dongle in my Petrol Car so when I look at a used Leaf, I can see the battery condition and what kind of charging was used. My 2020 it showed I'd quick charged 17 times,16 times L1, and the rest L2. My Home charger was a 16 amp, 240 volt L2 charger which added 10% capacity per hour on a 40kwh battery pack. Very convenient for knowing how long to charge for an 80% fill.
The dongle is good for all cars I think. It’s just LeafSpy that is only for leafs. I don’t know what app(s) is(are) used for other vehicles but it probably fits in your petrol car too, whatever it is.

My Petrol Car is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned lots of SAAB's but my 2002 SAAB 9-5 Arc is amazing. Just short of 200K town miles. Has the very odd England GM 3.0 54 degree V6 that uses a timing belt and is an interference design. This Engine was used in the ill-fated Cadillac Catera, the 2002/2003 Saturn Vue, and the 3.2 version of this engine in the 2003 Cadillac CTS. Doesn't burn a drop of oil. Very solid Car like a Tank. Leather interior still looks good with no cracks. Truly an amazing Car. But miss my Leaf too.

My Petrol Car is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned lots of SAAB's but my 2002 SAAB 9-5 Arc is amazing. Just short of 200K town miles. Has the very odd England GM 3.0 54 degree V6 that uses a timing belt and is an interference design. This Engine was used in the ill-fated Cadillac Catera, the 2002/2003 Saturn Vue, and the 3.2 version of this engine in the 2003 Cadillac CTS. Doesn't burn a drop of oil. Very solid Car like a Tank. Leather interior still looks good with no cracks. Truly an amazing Car. But miss my Leaf too.
Well Volvo or GM will have something then and if they don’t someone else will.

Back