2019 Leaf brake’s seemed to fail

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

Hi
I’m new to this forum, so excuse any rookie errors.
I bought my 2019 Leaf at the end of June this year. Everything was brilliant until after about 2000 miles at the end of September when I had an issue when breaking at a junction. The brakes didn’t seem to work, my foot was to the floor, there was a terrible screeching noise like when you’ve run our of brake pads, plus I think the ABS. Luckily I stopped in time, I drove over the road in to a side road, checked the tyres as didn’t know what else to do, did a “U” turn at which point the front left of the car made a brief metal sound, and drove very slowly the few miles home. It’s not happened again, my Nissan Dealer have had it in twice and can’t find a problem. I got them to check the wheels for any signs of a stone getting in and they couldn’t find any.
I got in touch with Nissan Customer Care a few weeks ago, and I feel they’re not really very bothered, and have to push. They’re saying they’re contacting the dealer again as I’ve asked for an explanation of how it could have happened etc.
It’s like wading through mud trying to get any help. I feel had I not stopped and been wiped out no one would have know it wasn’t my fault...
Does anyone know of anyone else having similar problems?

There are two common problems related to this. A very weak 12 volt battery can cause braking issues, and braking on rough or slippery pavement can cause the traction control/ABS to engage, making it feel like the car isn't braking - even though it is. Your problem may be the second one. Was the pavement rough or slippery?

Hi, thanks for your reply. The roads may have been a little wet, but nothing much. I understand about ABS and this did seem to have been engaged, hence the sort of thumping, but don’t understand why I wasn’t really stopping and the loud metal and metal type screeching.

The screeching is definitely odd. The sensation of having no brakes, while it may have actually happened, is equally likely to be a common sensory hallucination caused by having suddenly reduced braking power because of traction control activation. It is common to both Priuses and Leafs. Why did it activate, if that is what happened? The stock Leaf tires these days don't have great wet pavement traction. If there were wet leaves on the road, that might well have been enough to cause the problem - a Leaf discombobulated by leaves...

I often have that sickening sensation that the brakes failed when hitting a manhole cover or pothole on a descent. However, I don't ever hear any "screeching" or other abnormal mechanical noises. Your issue sounds more serious.

There is one particular manhole cover, on a hill in my neighborhood, where it's 100% repeatable. Through trial and error, I discovered that disabling the traction control eliminates the problem. But, I prefer to have that on, so I just do my best to avoid potholes and manhole covers.

If you have the 17-inch wheels with the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, wet and dry traction is poor. Their squealing might sound metallic inside the quiet LEAF cabin (depending upon road surface). ABS, Traction Control, and/or Stability Control all activate frequently with those tires regardless of tire pressure. The front tires sometimes squeal in a tight U-turn because those tires slip so much. If there is true metallic noise from metal-to-metal contact, there should be visible damage on the brake rotors, calipers, wheels, and/or suspension components. Personally, I would take time to remove the front wheels and carefully check all of the components myself (or take it to a brake shop for an independent evaluation if I could not do it myself).

As others have already noted, the ABS, Traction Control, and Stability Control systems are very sensitive and react quickly so they give the impression of lost braking. The sensation is greatly reduced with performance tires (although range is reduced by increased rolling resistance of better tires).

Your ABS activated. That's why your stopping distance extended (as it does with my 2012) and why you heard that grinding noise.

I absolutely hate the breaks in mine-- yesterday I was reducing speed at a crosswalk (wet, with leaves on the roadway), and at 15mph the ABS activated and I went 3/4 of the way through it. My driveway is gravel and steep... going down it, often the inertia of the car gives the sensors the impression it is skidding, and the ABS activates. A few times it has put me into the path of oncoming vehicles. I've considered getting studded tires, but no point really because at the first snowfall it gets put in the barn until spring.

So from now on keep this experience in mind, as this safety feature isn't always so; especially if you live, as I do, in snow country with lots of gravel roads and gravel on the roads.

You might pull up your Leaf's schematics: in my Tahoe, when the ABS gets too sensitive, it means I have a sensor going out in one of the hubs.

I really appreciate your replies, thank you.
I’ll definitely get someone to look at the brake rotators etc as that’s an excellent idea.
Rather worrying that there are issues though with stopping generally as the scenario at the crosswalk must have been scary, and fortunate no one was crossing in front of you....
It’s just horrid when you lose confidence in your car on such a vital part of its function.

Back