2016 Leaf to have up to 180 miles of range!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That EoLab has the rear pillar design that upcoming Nissans will apparently use. I could absolutely see that car with Nissan's V-nose front end and some LEAF badges on the back.

EVDRIVER said:
I would never buy an infinity...we don't need heavier over priced EVs to justify adding a premium to the price of more range...

I'm looking for ~30 available kWh in a ~3,000 lb BEV for under $30k after incentives.

I don't much care whether it says Nissan or Infiniti on it.

But I hope some of the efficiency gains Infiniti is working on will carry over to the LEAF 2.

Xpost from the LE thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8449&start=220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edatoakrun said:
Not the LE, but the slideshow at the link may foreshadow the final design.

I continue to hope Infiniti will add lightness and efficiency to the LE, rather than just loading up the LE with a half-ton of batteries, to increase range.

There are dozens of cars packed into the LA Convention Center for the LA Auto Show. Infiniti’s sleek, sexy concept is by far the prettiest.

Infiniti calls the Q80 Inspiration, making its North American debut here after being seen in Paris last month, a “statement of intent” that hints at the styling and technology of future models. We call it gorgeous. The car is just a bit more than 16.5 feet long but just 52 inches tall at its highest point, giving the car a sleek, athletic profile that telegraphs speed. The result is an elegant, stylish sedan that looks futuristic without looking silly. Yes, the suicide doors, V-shaped rear window and “silver beverage flask” (seriously) probably won’t make it onto production models, but the strong shoulder line and fastback shape almost certainly will.

The features and aluminum and carbon fiber monocoque, with the same materials used on the body. That enormous grille is active; it opens at lower speeds to maximize cooling and closes at higher speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiency...

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/infiniti-q80-inspiration-concept/#slide-id-1649279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
EVDRIVER said:
I would never buy an infinity...we don't need heavier over priced EVs to justify adding a premium to the price of more range...

I'm looking for ~30 available kWh in a ~3,000 lb BEV for under $30k after incentives.

I don't much care whether it says Nissan or Infiniti on it.

But I hope some of the efficiency gains Infiniti is working on will carry over to the LEAF 2.

Xpost from the LE thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8449&start=220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edatoakrun said:
Not the LE, but the slideshow at the link may foreshadow the final design.

I continue to hope Infiniti will add lightness and efficiency to the LE, rather than just loading up the LE with a half-ton of batteries, to increase range.

There are dozens of cars packed into the LA Convention Center for the LA Auto Show. Infiniti’s sleek, sexy concept is by far the prettiest.

Infiniti calls the Q80 Inspiration, making its North American debut here after being seen in Paris last month, a “statement of intent” that hints at the styling and technology of future models. We call it gorgeous. The car is just a bit more than 16.5 feet long but just 52 inches tall at its highest point, giving the car a sleek, athletic profile that telegraphs speed. The result is an elegant, stylish sedan that looks futuristic without looking silly. Yes, the suicide doors, V-shaped rear window and “silver beverage flask” (seriously) probably won’t make it onto production models, but the strong shoulder line and fastback shape almost certainly will.

The features and aluminum and carbon fiber monocoque, with the same materials used on the body. That enormous grille is active; it opens at lower speeds to maximize cooling and closes at higher speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiency...

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/infiniti-q80-inspiration-concept/#slide-id-1649279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you won't mind the much higher price on the infinity:)

NasGoreList said:
Renault did a nice design with EoLab, they just need to stick Nissan badge on along with better battery :mrgreen:

renault-eolab-1.jpg

Renault-Eolab.jpg

This would be awesome! I would make the active aerodynamic elements into fixed versions, as they would cost less and function better. The EoLab would be the lowest drag car, except for two: the EV1 and the XL1. It would have a significantly longer range with any given battery pack, than any other EV today.

More range through better design.

It is like pulling teeth dealing with Nissan. Just let the people know what you're doing, sheesh.

Until I see it in a showroom, I don't believe it.

posted this in another thread, but totally relevant...

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/25/us/it-s-a-world-record-249-miles-without-an-extension-cord.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikesus said:
posted this in another thread, but totally relevant...

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/25/us/it-s-a-world-record-249-miles-without-an-extension-cord.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow. 17 years ago. What are the more modern distances that test vehicles have traveled?

The 250 miles range is overstated. The rumor going around is 400 km vs. 200km for the current Leaf based on one comment that clearly states at least a doubling of range. However, it is not under EPA conditions, but under the much less stringent Japanese conditions. So be careful comparing a claimed distance that is likely under a very favorable test conditions to EPA which is fairly realistic.

So not 250 miles under EPA testing, but more like 160+ miles if it is all to be believed. It is vaporware for now, but looks hopeful.

A real 160 mile range would be great. It would let me get to the coast without stopping, and would handle getting back and forth across Portland with ease (currently just getting 2/3 of the way across town to the airport and back on a fairly cold day takes about 80% of my range). It would also mean that after ~10 years it would still have a >100 mile range for moderate regions like mine.

Moof said:
The 250 miles range is overstated. The rumor going around is 400 km vs. 200km for the current Leaf based on one comment that clearly states at least a doubling of range. However, it is not under EPA conditions, but under the much less stringent Japanese conditions. So be careful comparing a claimed distance that is likely under a very favorable test conditions to EPA which is fairly realistic.

So not 250 miles under EPA testing, but more like 160+ miles if it is all to be believed. It is vaporware for now, but looks hopeful.

A real 160 mile range would be great. It would let me get to the coast without stopping, and would handle getting back and forth across Portland with ease (currently just getting 2/3 of the way across town to the airport and back on a fairly cold day takes about 80% of my range). It would also mean that after ~10 years it would still have a >100 mile range for moderate regions like mine.

As soon as there's a car that can make it to Eugene without stopping (for under 50 grand), I'm all over it!

Nissan 250-Mile Battery Nearly Ready, Reveals CEO Ghosn

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=34725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan 250-Mile Battery Nearly Ready, Reveals CEO Ghosn
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn unintentionally reveals that his company is working on a battery that could double range of the LEAF.
Published: 05-Dec-2014

Following an unintentional disclosure by CEO Carlos Ghosn, Nissan has confirmed it will “very soon take the issue of range off of the table.”

The company is otherwise still being vague, not ready to show what it has, but Ghosn suggested a near-ready battery to enable affordable electric cars good for as many 250 miles (400 km) depending on configuration, and how it’s tested.

The implication is furthermore that the new chemistry has more power per volume so increasing range to beyond Tesla proportions would just be a function of making a battery pack a bit bigger in volume, but it would presumably still be smaller than a Model S pack.

Rebel44 said:
Nice, but without something like Tesla Supercharger network, not good enough.

Even if this were true do you really think the network would be an obstacle? That's moot for sales if affordable. The charge network can easily be solved even though it is not the issue, the battery always has been. Good luck seeing this intentional "leak" appear in a LEAF anytime in the next couple years. The original LEAF battery was "fully" tested and look what we got, "near" seems scary at best in Nissan speak. Battery capacity it the holy grail for automakers right now and a major OEM with a low-cost affordable product would take away the need for Tesla pricing.

Lasareath said:
Have you ever tried a #CHAdeMo?

Rebel44 said:

1. Too slow charging for car with 70+KWh battery

2. Mostly 1 charger per location, which pose big problem with congestion and even bigger, when thy are broken (which isnt exactly rare).

EVDRIVER said:
Rebel44 said:

Even if this were true do you really think the network would be an obstacle? That's moot for sales if affordable. The charge network can easily be solved even though it is not the issue, the battery always has been. Good luck seeing this intentional "leak" appear in a LEAF anytime in the next couple years. The original LEAF battery was "fully" tested and look what we got, "near" seems scary at best in Nissan speak.

Depends on how "affordable" - extra battery capacity wont be for free.

I agree, that we are not likely to see this option available at least for a year (or 2). I bet, that for such a large battery, they will need dedcated EV platform, so it will only beavailable for Leaf 2.

I significantly prefer prepaying €2K and have access to Tesla SC network or something comparable.

My friggin license plate is CHAdeMO and I too think without a network comparable to the supercharger network it's still a regional-only car.

Back