2016 Leaf S trim quietly updated to 30 kWh instead of 24

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Durandal said:
RockyNv said:
In the US the Hybrid battery rebuilder I purchased my Leaf from explained that they are supposed to replace a defective battery with the most current technology available. If the current tech for the Leaf S is the 30kWh battery then one could make the argument that the 30kWh battery should be made available to all Leaf S owners with defective batteries.

So I decided to look up the amended settlement agreement at:
http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNK0001/2015%2003-06%20Amendment%20to%20Settlement%20Agreement%20-%20Fully%20Executed.pdf

"The replacement battery will be the 24 kWh lithium-ion battery that is currently used in the 2015 model year LEAF (or the most current model year 24 kWh lithium-ion battery at the time of replacement."

So the most recent chemistry available at 24kWh is how I would interpret this.

Almost make the settlement seem like a hollow victory by giving up the requirement for the latest and greatest and limiting replacement to what was available in the early 2015 S which appears to be the planned end point for the 24 kWh battery. Batteries that fail in a few years based on that agreement will now potentially get replaced with technology that is up to several years old which was not the intent of the Federal law. Then again wouldn't that only apply to those who opt in on the settlement before it closes. Almost seems like Nissan was trying for a get out of jail card on that one.

If they bring out the new model any time after Jan 1, 2017, they could call it a 2018 and hold that model year all the way through December 31, 2108...

cwerdna said:
Agree on both. It is rather strange. Perhaps the '16 model year might run long and until end of year or even into '17?

By quietly changing the S model from 24kwh to 30kwh, without any announcement whatsoever, I think Nissan chose a very good strategy.

LEAF gets gradually improved almost every year. Understandably, Nissan wants to continue introducing improved model without impairing the sales of the previous model. Announcing by how much the upcoming model will improve the range--the most important feature--will likely adversely impact the sales of the existing inventory. An announcement, in my opinion, makes sense only when there is a competitor actually selling cars on the market that are at least comparable. This is not the case for Nissan because today they in fact have no competitors actually selling something comparable. For most people seeking an affordable EV, Nissan LEAF is far superior, particularly due to the 107-mile range.

Other manufacturers can make announcements as much as they want, promising a superior EV. Tesla's announcement of Model 3 is a perfect example. Because Tesla has no affordable cars whatsoever, its announcements do not affect their sales. Except few, people in general will not wait for Model 3 for years based solely on the bare promise that it will be far superior than the current LEAF for roughly the same price.

Until Tesla or someone else actually delivers an affordable EV superior to LEAF, I think Nissan should follow the same strategy: no announcements. In the current state of affairs, where Nissan LEAF is by far the best affordable EV, there is absolutely no reason for any announcements.

Back