2016 Leaf ? anyone have a guess as to when and what changes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My prediction for 2016 is, there will be some kind of heat-resistant battery, and (I'm dreaming, here) there will actually be a way to identify it. :p

woodgeek said:
As for more battery space, I always figured the huge space under the cargo floor in the 2013, and added to cargo space in the 2014, could be used. The one Tony put his spare in.

I bet they could get 50% more battery volume back there (eating into the cargo area), contiguous to the current battery compartment. I figure the car could handle 50% more battery weight. (300lbs?)

I would bet on a >50% increase in range in MY2017, rolling in some incremental improvements to chemistry in addition to the bigger battery.

I'm pretty sure some markets require a spare tire so this wouldn't be an option for every market, and I also doubt Nissan would want to put the battery in what is probably the rear crumple zone, however Ford did it with the Focus, but it would still probably mean an expensive redesign for crash testing purposes which is unlikely to happen in the last year before a new model is due.

Agreed, that's why I saw it as an option for the more 'revolutionary' and high-expectations MY 2017.

If Carlos can meet range expectations with the existing battery volume, more power to him. If his engineers need more volume, all I am saying is that it is there.

Back