2016 EVSE options & charge times (newbie)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ironmanco said:
Flyct said:
LeafSpy pro gives excellent view of charge profile graphically. You can see here where I started at 60% charge and the car was receiving about 6 kW. As the battery approached 90% shortly after 1 hour the charge rate automatically reduced. Once it was close to 100% you can see where cell balancing was taking place as shunts were working.

ok - this is very helpful. So the leaf will continue to cycle through 0 and 1kW ad infinitum or will it eventually drop this cycling as well?

It will drop it eventually. I posted some pics in this thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21209&p=448298#p448298

EVDRIVER said:
ElectricEddy said:
EVDRIVER said:
Max draw is 24A on a 30A circuit, more than adequate for a LEAF as the 3A difference is not going to make in impact for home charging.
The wire will handle it, the overloads in the 30a breaker will be stressed (heat) causing premature failure IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Besides... it's illegal and could jeopardize your home insurance when something does occur.

Codes specifies a 24A load for a 30A circuit, that is a 30A breaker with 10G wire assuming the length is to spec, There is no heat issue with the breaker. A 24A load does not require a 40A breaker. Additionally, it is not illegal, please show me this "LAW". Your insurance will not and can't deny coverage for a proper circuit.
EVDRIVER is correct if you have equipment that can be permanantly set back to 24A max, however limiting the CIRCUIT capacity to 24A would not utilize the full charging capacity of the ob charger, therefore only charge at 5760 W. When wiring equipment an electrical inspector will observe the full capacity of such equipment and the capacity of the circuit feeding it must match the maximum rating, for the obvious reason that the equipment may be set to it's maximum rating in the future. The "LAW" is pertaining to the CEC C22.1-15 section 8, sub-rules (1) thru (8) on circuit loading and is enforced (At least in B.C.) by the Safety Standards Act chapter 39, The Safety Standards General Regulation and The Electrical Safety Regulation. Copies of those acts and regs are available for free on the BCSA website, and the codebook is available thru the CSA website for $200+ , Happy reading :lol:

ElectricEddy said:
EVDRIVER said:
ElectricEddy said:
The wire will handle it, the overloads in the 30a breaker will be stressed (heat) causing premature failure IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Besides... it's illegal and could jeopardize your home insurance when something does occur.

Codes specifies a 24A load for a 30A circuit, that is a 30A breaker with 10G wire assuming the length is to spec, There is no heat issue with the breaker. A 24A load does not require a 40A breaker. Additionally, it is not illegal, please show me this "LAW". Your insurance will not and can't deny coverage for a proper circuit.
EVDRIVER is correct if you have equipment that can be permanantly set back to 24A max, however limiting the CIRCUIT capacity to 24A would not utilize the full charging capacity of the ob charger, therefore only charge at 5760 W. When wiring equipment an electrical inspector will observe the full capacity of such equipment and the capacity of the circuit feeding it must match the maximum rating, for the obvious reason that the equipment may be set to it's maximum rating in the future. The "LAW" is pertaining to the CEC C22.1-15 section 8, sub-rules (1) thru (8) on circuit loading and is enforced (At least in B.C.) by the Safety Standards Act chapter 39, The Safety Standards General Regulation and The Electrical Safety Regulation. Copies of those acts and regs are available for free on the BCSA website, and the codebook is available thru the CSA website for $200+ , Happy reading :lol:

I live in the US, we have electrical codes not "laws". Police and the justice system do not enforce them. No idea what you have been talking about with heat issues, etc. The US code is 24A max on a 30A dedicated circuit, it's simple. It has nothing to do with anything but the max you can safely. not "legally" draw from a 30A circuit. No relation to your OBC and since a LEAF draws a 27A max load its really silly to bother with the 3A difference particularly for home charging If you already have a 30A circuit. Any proper electrical device with a 30A plug never draws more than 24A so there is not need to set anything.

I have a similar situation... my electrical panel is at maximum capacity, and the electrician told me that upgrading from 200 amps to 400 amps would cost 5000$....

Instead, he offer me to put a load miser between the oven and the car, with the oven being the essential load (so that my wife can cook at any time), and the car being the non-essential load (only powered when the oven is off) : http://acdandy.com/products/dandy-load-miser-energy-divider-controller/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7610hf41ljqkic/loadmiser shema1.pdf?dl=0

This would, of course, cause a few power interruption to the car during a cingle charging cycle... Would that be a problem ? Is it possible that after a few times, the car just stop charging and doesn't start again when the power gets back ? Would the car just start back like nothing happen ? Or like... after 3 times it would just stop to charge.

Thanks,

Me

dcorby said:
Instead, he offer me to put a load miser between the oven and the car, with the oven being the essential load (so that my wife can cook at any time), and the car being the non-essential load (only powered when the oven is off) : http://acdandy.com/products/dandy-load-miser-energy-divider-controller/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7610hf41ljqkic/loadmiser shema1.pdf?dl=0

This is still a transfer switch...just an automatic one and it's based on load. In my case I have the control capability of the heater and moreover, I'll never lose power to the EVSE. I'm switching the heater on and off based on what the EVSE will draw. As long as it's drawing less than 1A the heater will run.

Back