2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awhile said:
awhile said:
Two year update.
Two years since I received new 40 kWh replacement battery for my 2016 Leaf SV.

According to LeafSpy Pro,
I can charge to: 35 kWh
AHr = 105
SOH = 91%
GIDS = 453
Hx = 109%

Odometer 81k miles. I added 10k miles in two years since battery

Three year update.
Three years since I received new 40 kWh replacement battery for my 2016 Leaf SV.

According to LeafSpy Pro,
I can charge to: 34.8 kWh
AHr = 104.7
SOH = 90.74%
GIDS = 449
Hx = 103.53%

Odometer 85k miles. I added 15k miles in three years since battery

I quoted my 2 year report above.
The LeafSpy Pro numbers haven't changed much in one year????

That does seem odd. Were there any environmental changes (like more shade somewhere)?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That does seem odd. Were there any environmental changes (like more shade somewhere)?

This past summer temperature and year was much milder than previous year. Lots of rain, and not many hot days. I garage the Leaf and garage gets into high 80's during the summer months. So less of that this year. But otherwise same behavior as previous years.

awhile said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

This past summer temperature and year was much milder than previous year. Lots of rain, and not many hot days. I garage the Leaf and garage gets into high 80's during the summer months. So less of that this year. But otherwise same behavior as previous years.

Yes. More shade! I forgot that I parked my Leaf on driveway in sun (west side of house) up until 9/2022. Ha !

awhile said:
awhile said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Yes. More shade! I forgot that I parked my Leaf on driveway in sun (west side of house) up until 9/2022. Ha !

That would line up with the reduced degradation then, since we all know heat is the battery killer. Parking under direct sunlight means the interior of the car (and thus the top of the pack) can be significantly hotter than ambient air temperatures.

My 2017 just lost it's 4th bar
Is it advisable to get it to the dealer ASAP to start the process? ... or is there a scenario where the bar comes-and-goes for awhile -- i'd hate to take it to them and have them find it's not yet ready for warranty

And when it goes there, is there anything i would be required to pay them for? "diagnostic" charge? i would think not but, i wouldn't be surprised :)
And i definitely don't see any reason to pay for a "battery check"!

38,800 mi, SOH 65.19
The 6th phoenix summer finally got the better of it. As you can see, I don't really drive much; and really the battery has been "babied" for most of its life -- no fast charging, little freeway driving, etc. I even used to charge it overnight outside of garage.

ebeighe said:
Is it advisable to get it to the dealer ASAP to start the process? ... or is there a scenario where the bar comes-and-goes for awhile -- i'd hate to take it to them and have them find it's not yet ready for warranty
Yes. As far as I know, the bars only go one way, down.

The bars can briefly go back up, especially on the 24kwh and 30kwh packs. The BMS update on the 30kwh just about always brings bars back, sometimes for a few weeks or months, sometimes longer.

ebeighe said:

And when it goes there, is there anything i would be required to pay them for? "diagnostic" charge? i would think not but, i wouldn't be surprised :)

38,800 mi, SOH 65.19
The 6th phoenix summer finally got the better of it. As you can see, I don't really drive much; and really the battery has been "babied" for most of its life -- no fast charging, little freeway driving, etc. I even used to charge it overnight outside of garage.

Yeah, what leftie said. Make sure you already have your BMS patch installed.

When my fourth bar dropped, LeafSpy showed the SOH as one number, and then the next day, it went HIGHER. But the 4th bar stayed down. Still I gave it 1 week to confirm it stayed down before starting the warranty process with the dealer.

No, there should be no additional fees, but each stealership is different. Since they'll be paid by Nissan, it's NOT in their interest to gouge you.

Just an FYI though, Nissan might choose to buy out your Leaf instead of doing a warranty replacement (we're still waiting to hear any conclusions from this last post): https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=633440#p633440

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
... Make sure you already have your BMS patch installed....

... Just an FYI though, Nissan might choose to buy out your Leaf instead of doing a warranty replacement...
Thx for the feedback.

Yup, BMS update was done years ago.
Yes, I've been following the various "buyback" drama.
I'd rather have the warranty replacement -- but we don't always get what we want! I'm sure it will all work out EVENTUALLY :eek:

Just back from the dealer to "start the process" -- Autonation Nissan in Tempe, AZ
ug.
So by way of ranting here is my story so far...
I post it only to make me feel better, and maybe to warn off similarly situated individuals: "forewarned is forearmed" :D

I called twice ahead of time to understand "the process", no service advisor could be reached, and no voicemail apparently. Another try i was supposedly routed to the "service manager's" line. who didn't answer and i left a voicemail to please call me ahead of appointment.
Not being able to reach anybody i made an appointment online for a few days hence, along with instructions to call me ahead of time. no call.
so i took it there.
The service advisor, i'll call her A, said everything looks good to go. Yay.
And i cannot have the car until Nissan replies back to them, and i should expect that to take about two weeks -- but no guarantees... maybe less maybe more. Boo.
When I asked why they (the dealership) need to keep the car while Nissan decides on the warranty claim, A explained that somebody from Nissan could show up, unannounced, at any time, with no notice, and need to see the car immediately.
When I told A that sounds ridiculous, she stuck to her story.
I also mentioned I live about 10 minutes away, and can have the car back there with perhaps 1 hour notice, she was unmoved.
I asked about a loaner -- YES, she says no problem, I will get a loaner and Nissan corporate will pay for it, except for one snag, there are none available today, oh, and she cannot say when one will become availalbe.
When I told A that my wife cannot drive the vast majority of cars (severe, arthritis since childhood); e.g. she cannot operate a run-of-the-mill (automatic) gearshift, but she just said hopefully it won't take 2 weeks.

UPDATE: in case anybody is interested, i posted a 48 hour update here:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=634361#p634361
Spoiler alert, it appears the dealership hasn't looked at it yet. tick tock, i have no car.

38,800 mi, SOH 65.19
Start the process ASAP. If the dealer tells you the battery is fine (which it's not), you may need to find another dealer - and contact Nissan Corporate. In my experience and from what I've read - 2016 and 2017 cars are pretty much on very long waiting lists (year plus) for battery replacement. I ended up going to two dealers, the second one, i explained the situation, and they initiated the warranty claim.
I ended up selling my 2017 Leaf back to Nissan - about 1-2 months after the initial claim. I dont think I can disclose the actual amount, but i can tell you, what I received was more than I paid for the car initially, and I had driven it for 6 years. I liked the car, but electric rates in New England are ridiculously high - so i wasn't saving any money by keeping it at this point.

I have a 2016 SL that crossed below 66.25% SOH a little over a month ago. As of today it’s sitting at around 65% but I still haven’t lost the 4th battery bar. How low have people seen their SoH go before losing the bar?

I have a 2016 SL that crossed below 66.25% SOH a little over a month ago. As of today it’s sitting at around 65% but I still haven’t lost the 4th battery bar. How low have people seen their SoH go before losing the bar?
Update, lost my 4th bar today at 63.7%

Back