2015 S CarFax minor damage, and a few questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madengr

I test drove a 2015 S w/QC today at 21k miles, and looked over/under with a flashlight. Asking price is $8950. Everything works, and no visible damage, but CarFax show this:

Manufactured 5/14, then leased 8/14.

11/18/2015 Georgia
Damage Report Accident reported
Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision
Involving rear impact
Minor damage reported
Airbags did not deploy

Minor damage is usually cosmetic, including dents or scratches to the vehicle body.

It was servcied 10 months later prior to auction

09/27/2016 21,494 Sutherlin Nissan Mall of Georgia
Buford, GA
678-714-1885
sutherlinnissanmallo
fga.com Vehicle serviced

12/26/2016 21,498 Auto Auction
Missouri Vehicle sold at auction

Anything specific I should be looking for to see if this is a concern?

Also, I assume this 2015 has the Lizard battery?

I have an ODBII dongle on order and want to look at the battery statistics before purchase.

It only has one FOB. I see they are available for new, online for $80, but how much would programming and key cutting cost?

Personally, I would avoid a vehicle that has been in an accident. Unless there are detailed pictures to show the actual damage before repair, there is no way to know how bad it really was. If you do decide to purchase, use the accident to negotiate the lowest price possible.

My dealer charged me $80 to cut the key and program the car to the new FOB I supplied in March of 2015. If they supply the FOB, they charge $300.

The 'Lizard' battery chemistry was introduced for the 2015 model year.

I'm going to contact the last place it was serviced (upon lease return) to see what was done to it, and to see if recall work was performed. Maybe try Nissan too.

I didn't see any damage, and since there was, and if there is no record of repair, then something is fishy. I ran an Autocheck report (should have used that instead of carfax), it it lists "slight damage to rear reported by state agency".

Normally I'd just skip it, but the issue is that there don't seem to be any 2015 S locally with QC option. I suppose I could have an inspection done at a Nissan dealer, AFTER I check the battery (the dongle for LeafSpy won't be here till tomorrow night).

If you buy a car that has been damaged, make sure it does not have a salvage (or whatever term used in your state) title. Nissan (and most other car manufacturers) voids all warranties if car has been declared total loss and then repaired (also if car "should have been declared total loss"--I am not sure how this statement would be interpreted if car has clear title).

If the car you are looking at has a clear title, it is probably OK for a daily driver as long as you understand its value is lower because it was involved in an accident.

Gerry

Back