2015 PreHeat Issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricvw

I have my new 2015 Leaf and this morning I used my carwings app to start the pre-heating before I left for work. The EVSE was plugged in and ready to go if it was commanded to start the EVSE so it could use the wall power for pre-heating. Well, It started the pre-heating but it did not turn on the EVSE and just used the battery. I don't know why it did not start the EVSE. My old 2011 did everytime when I used my app to turn on the heater when it was plugged in. And did so without fail. The other issue it caused was when I unplugged and then got in and turned on the car. It flashed all the dash lights then turned on. The car was warm but used battery power to do that. The steering wheel was warm as it turned that on as well. As I drove away I soon realized that the steering wheel was getting cold. But wait, the steering wheel warmer IS on. No luck. I turned it off then on a few times while driving into work. No luck. So I decided to try just shutting off the car when I got to work then restart it and try to see if it works. Well what do you know. I had to reboot and then it worked again. So there is some issue that was not present with the 2011 model. I also really really really really hate that old crappy foot operated parking brake. Its in the way when pushed in and getting into the car. Why oh why would they remove that electronic parking pawl. Were so many people that stupid as to bend or some how muck up that electronic pawl that they were forced to remove it?

One more issue I don't like. That neat little head light adjuster is gone as well. I used it all the time. I used it to make my low beams higher so I did not have to use my brights.

Anyone have any idea as to those issues just pointed out? One more. That glove box, It just has to go. It is much cheaper feeling than the original.

Lots to love but some of the goodies that were there should not have gone away.

Pete :)

I will be checking and keeping track of the battery health during the next 3 years.

The car not using the EVSE is probably related to the charge timer - this happens amazingly often, even to more experienced drivers. The wheel heater is a thermostat issue: once it gets hot - too hot! - it shuts off for too long before cycling on again. I only preheat for about 3 minutes, and the wheel heater can be turned off and on manually to keep the temp about right at that point. If you let it cycle off, you have to wait 5-10 minutes for it to start again.

My 2015 preheat timer uses the EVSE correctly, I can hear it turn on. I also use the charge timer so I don't understand the issues with this.

The steering wheel temp cycling does seem extreme, but I am used to it now. Some spots are cooler so when it gets too hot I just shift my hands.

darthwilliam said:
My 2015 preheat timer uses the EVSE correctly, I can hear it turn on. I also use the charge timer so I don't understand the issues with this.

The steering wheel temp cycling does seem extreme, but I am used to it now. Some spots are cooler so when it gets too hot I just shift my hands.

The steering wheel heater is just odd. I really hope they even it out, turn it down, and allow it to work without cycling.

Even though I once advocated for a simple mechanical linkage, I came to love the electronic parking brake and I miss it in my 2015. The pedal-operated one feels like a throwback to the bygone era of internal combustion :lol: But I recall seeing people report a $3500 repair bill for the former so I guess they saved a good bit of cost by reverting to a mechanical system.

As for the headlight adjuster, if everyone's like me and adjusted it as far up as it would go, then it would be a lot cheaper to just set the level there and be done with it. For me, any lower setting was just ridiculously low unless I was going to use the car to look for earthworms.

electricvw said:
…The steering wheel was warm as it turned that on as well. As I drove away I soon realized that the steering wheel was getting cold. But wait, the steering wheel warmer IS on.…

I believe this is the feature called "we would rather freeze you than allow you to control the temperature"
Drives (ha!) me nuts. Seat warmers do the same. Even if it's 40° out, it cowardly refuses to keep the heat on, forcing a choice between freeze, or use cabin heat.

bigrob90 said:
The steering wheel heater is just odd. I really hope they even it out, turn it down, and allow it to work without cycling.
If they turned it down then it likely wouldn't be warm enough to be useful in very cold weather (think about a car cold-saturated at 0ºF). I find that it is just right with gloves and ok with bare hands in cold weather.

But, then, I've never had a problem with my steering wheel heater, like others report, and don't mind the cycling at all. Sometimes I will just use it for a minute or two to warm my hands and then turn it off as no longer necessary.

I have never used the timer yet for charging so I don't know what issues can happen.

This morning the temp gauge showed -8F. The seat and steering heaters worked great. I don't see me using it in temps above 30F. I have never driven a car that warms up so quickly. That was my biggest worry before I purchased the Leaf.

Back