2015 Nissal Leaf S - Level 3 charging issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way everyone, I am in Maryland, so my pulling on the Level 3 connector won't affect you.

However, since you mentioned this, I have not pulled hard on anything! :) I'm not doing any more damage to anything.

However, I will receive a ChargePoint card in the mail, and I'm hoping this will solve my problem of not being able to release the connector if I use one of these Level 3 charge units again. I think that the problem had to do with systems people remotely logging into the charge unit. If I get a ChargePoint card, then I should be able to interact with the machine all on my own. We'll see. Thanks all.

Howard said:
electriccarfan said:
I just mainly wanted to put that warning out there as the OP looked like he was using Quick Charging as his ONLY means of charging. But, I would be happy to be wrong about this. It seems that there's been a study on this recently:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090954_does-quick-charging-hurt-battery-life-total-miles-are-more-important" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for this link electriccarfan.

BTW, I have stopped using the Level 3 Quick Charge, since that day you all mentioned this to me.

We've been using the trickle charge since then and it's been working great.

I hope I don't see a significant rise in my power bill.

It's no problem at all! I was in the same boat back in May when I got my Leaf. I got on the website and started asking questions. It can't ever hurt to ask. You'd be surprised how much people on here know.

I don't think that charging at home adds too much to the electric bill either. I think it adds about $30-35 total to our bill.

Do you plan on buying a Level 2- 240V Charging Station? I've used them around town and they are quite a bit faster than the 120V Trickle Charge.

I myself charge every night using the Trickle Charge cable. I just plug it in when I get home in the evening and it charges overnight, and I leave in the morning with a full battery. Unless I don't get home until after midnight or really late, I always have a full battery the next morning.

The main reason I don't buy a charging station is the cost. It's $400-600 to buy the charging station, and another $1000 to install. I don't have a 240V outlet on the outside of my house or in my garage, so that would have to be freshly installed.
I'll stick with the Trickle Charger I think for a long while.

By the way, it's okay to Quick Charge once in a while. I think of Quick Charging as mainly for road trips and town-town trips.

Enjoy your new Leaf!

Howard said:
electriccarfan said:
... I'll stick with the Trickle Charger I think for a long while.
Just be sure the 120V supply has been carefully inspected by a qualified person.
There is a lot more risk than most people recognize.

As I have advised many people considering use of 120V EVSE that comes with the LEAF and other plug in vehicles:
TimLee said:
A repeat of my input from previous questions on 120 V EVSE use:
Note that Nissan recommends the 120V EVSE for limited emergency use only.
Some people have used it for a long time without problems yet, but in general that is a bad idea unless you have a newly properly installed dedicated circuit with high grade receptacle using properly tightened screw connections.

Previous info from another thread:
mikelb said:
Trickle charging should be safe, though, right? I wouldn't necessarily need to have the circuit certified for it or anything, should I? If I were to go to a friend's house, would I be safe plugging into their outlet?
How safe 120V charging is depends on how lucky you are.
Very few garages have the correct properly installed high quality single outlet supplied by a single breaker.
Code only allows using 80% of the circuit rating for a long term continuous load.
So on a 15 amp circuit nothing else should be on the same circuit while the car is charging.
And a lot of 120V gets put in poorly using push in connections.
One person had a bad fire most likely from staples that had damaged the cable in the wall.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784&hilit=+fire#p352567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee said:
Howard said:
electriccarfan said:
... I'll stick with the Trickle Charger I think for a long while.
Just be sure the 120V supply has been carefully inspected by a qualified person.
There is a lot more risk than most people recognize.

As I have advised many people considering use of 120V EVSE that comes with the LEAF and other plug in vehicles:
TimLee said:
A repeat of my input from previous questions on 120 V EVSE use:
Note that Nissan recommends the 120V EVSE for limited emergency use only.
Some people have used it for a long time without problems yet, but in general that is a bad idea unless you have a newly properly installed dedicated circuit with high grade receptacle using properly tightened screw connections.

Previous info from another thread:
mikelb said:
Trickle charging should be safe, though, right? I wouldn't necessarily need to have the circuit certified for it or anything, should I? If I were to go to a friend's house, would I be safe plugging into their outlet?
How safe 120V charging is depends on how lucky you are.
Very few garages have the correct properly installed high quality single outlet supplied by a single breaker.
Code only allows using 80% of the circuit rating for a long term continuous load.
So on a 15 amp circuit nothing else should be on the same circuit while the car is charging.
And a lot of 120V gets put in poorly using push in connections.
One person had a bad fire most likely from staples that had damaged the cable in the wall.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784&hilit=+fire#p352567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, it's been 8 months and there hasn't been really any problems. The only real problem I've had is when I first started charging from the outlet I use everyday the outlet failed. I just went to Menards and bought a new one. I bought a non-GCFI outlet for $4.99 or something. It's in a heavy duty metal box (for use on the side of a house). I just rest the breaker and It's been great ever since then.

I've had snow pile up on it, left it charging in the rain, morning dew, ice, and etc. All weather conditions, with zero problems. The house is old (1960s-1970s), and never had a problem. Grandma has been living there since it was built.

I leave it plugged in as a permanent installation basically, unless I need it for traveling. I don't think using the 120V Trickle Charger is any big deal at all. I think some people make it out to be more than it is. I'm not paying anybody to get an inspection done for nothing. That stuff is expensive.

electriccarfan said:
Well, it's been 8 months and there hasn't been really any problems. ... I'm not paying anybody to get an inspection done for nothing. That stuff is expensive.
How long you have operated is irrelevant on whether the installation is safe or not.
It is your house and your risk and your decision on whether to take that risk :shock:

Back