2015 Lizard Leaf - No option to set charge to 80%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JasonA said:
Well I live in the same exact area as you do, last week my battery never got below 40* for the ENTIRE week and I lost my first bar at 55.5ah and 15.6k miles.

And if anybody knows me, I've been METICULOUS about keeping the cells at 3.8 to 3.85v every night and its still dropping like crazy. I don't have CHAdeMO so it's never seen a QC cycle in its life... never has sat at 80% or even 100% for very long.
Just curious, but did you check your Ah soon after getting your Leaf? Wondering if perhaps it sat on the dealers lot at full SOC prior to purchase. Also, it is a bit surprising to hear that your battery stayed so hot. I don't think my battery has ever gotten quite that hot... although I did see 7 temp bars for the first time about 10 days ago during the super hot spell. Is your car parked in a hot garage at home?

It's crap chemistry, pure and simple that is ruined by heat.
Certainly no argument there, just wondering why there is so much variation. Your Leaf sounds like it is somewhat worse than average in capacity loss for your area. Did you lease or buy?

Congrats on your NEW LEAF!

I charge to 100% Every single time I charge.

It's like sex, Do you really only want 80%?, The best part comes at the last 20% :lol:

LOL

Sal

dsgnai said:
Greetings fellow Leafers!

First day in my shiny new Leaf. I want to start right, limiting the charge to 80%, but the option doesn't appear on my menu.

I tried zero emissions, nothing on the menu.
Settings, nothing.
No % battery, no long life options... nada.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
David

Stoaty said:
Just curious, but did you check your Ah soon after getting your Leaf? Wondering if perhaps it sat on the dealers lot at full SOC prior to purchase. Also, it is a bit surprising to hear that your battery stayed so hot. I don't think my battery has ever gotten quite that hot... although I did see 7 temp bars for the first time about 10 days ago during the super hot spell. Is your car parked in a hot garage at home? Certainly no argument there, just wondering why there is so much variation. Your Leaf sounds like it is somewhat worse than average in capacity loss for your area. Did you lease or buy?
I bought my Leaf by Nissan corp in Irvine. It was a factory owned vehicle for less then a year and you can still see the pic of it in PS at the Nissan Irvine website.

I bought it when it was just under a year old (man Aug 2012) and I purch Jun 5th 2013 and it just clicked 1k miles and always charged to 265gids until last winter. That's when capacity really started to take a dive from 62ah down.

As far as temperature, hell Jeremy hit 50* and staying in the 40's is not that big of a deal :roll: It's 100+ outside and 80 at night. There's no room for that much thermal mass to cool enough.

And no, it's a 100% outside vehicle.

P.S. At last year's LB Plug-In event, the main Nissan guy remembered "Astro".. he was like.. oh yeah, I drove your car for awhile.. it's on Plugshare too for the corp HQ.. lol
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/2714.jpg

JasonA said:
Well I live in the same exact area as you do, last week my battery never got below 40* for the ENTIRE week
Ouch - and I felt bad seeing temps just under mid/upper 20C range in the morning topping out in the mid 30C range during the day. That's nothing compared to 40C+ temps 24/7

JasonA said:
P.S. Even Kia got it right :lol:
To be fair to Nissan, Kia hasn't even started shipping the Soul EV yet. I suspect that if you compare the Soul EV batteries and the '15 LEAF batteries they will be pretty similar in durability. Now if only Nissan would match Kia's battery capacity warranty for new cars.

drees said:
To be fair to Nissan, Kia hasn't even started shipping the Soul EV yet. I suspect that if you compare the Soul EV batteries and the '15 LEAF batteries they will be pretty similar in durability. Now if only Nissan would match Kia's battery capacity warranty for new cars.
What is Kia's battery capacity warranty? I must have missed that.

Stoaty said:
What is Kia's battery capacity warranty? I must have missed that.
Soul EV capacity warranty
Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage
The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”) Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70% of the original battery capacity. This warranty covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to 70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with the original 100% battery capacity. However, it will provide the vehicle with an EV Battery capacity ofat least 70% of the original battery capacity. This Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage is subject to the exclusions listed under the section “What is Not Covered.”

Sounds like a shot across the bow of industry leader Nissan.

If the 2015 Nissan battery really is new and improved, they should up the warranty to match the Kia.

So let's see how hot our batteries get this weekend guys!!! :lol: 106* in the valley..

Tom, Stoaty, 91040, Jeremy.. Bet it's going to be baking!! Mine was already 41*c

:twisted:

I'm driving the i3 for the week so my Leaf is just sitting in the garage at a bat temp of 78-80F...

JasonA said:
So let's see how hot our batteries get this weekend guys!!! :lol: 106* in the valley..
Tom, Stoaty, 91040, Jeremy.. Bet it's going to be baking!! Mine was already 41*c

JasonA said:

My Leaf is sitting in condo parking garage on the West side. Ambient temp isn't more than about 85 degrees. :D Leaf battery pack at around 85 degrees as well.

drees said:

I don't

Kia is using a something akin to NCA/NMC solid solution ie nickel rich NCM so it should be more robust than either NCA or NCM, but safety wise, its between NCA/NCM which is to say, its like a Tesla but with big cells! so yes, it can burn.

Nissan's Mn2O4/NCA cathode won't be as robust as Kia's but Nissan's will be safer and cheaper.

such is life.

It's an easy call for me: I'd opt for robust! I don't believe there is any real-world safety issue... And I'll always opt for better over just cheaper...

ydnas7 said:
Nissan's Mn2O4/NCA cathode won't be as robust as Kia's but Nissan's will be safer and cheaper.

"Yes, fine for you since you leased, but you also made my point: you have fewer miles, a full 12 months less calendar aging, and one Ah less capacity than my Leaf (about 2% less capacity)."

Hardly a scientific basis to draw a conclusion about 80% charging!

JasonA said:

By contrast, my battery was at 14.5ºC this morning in my garage (couldn't ask for nicer weather: clear, sunny, mountains with fresh snowcaps and aspens turning gold, high about 63ºF). Degradation should be pretty much done for this year for me.

Back