2015 LeafS seeking more compliant suspension

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gncndad

2015 LeafS, 35k miles. Totally stock...Bridegstone EcopiaPlus, 205/55 X 16.

I read a few threads about suspension mods, they all talk about lowering/tightening the suspension. I'm looking for the opposite solution. (FYI, I'm coming from the VW/Audi world, and value its concept of suspension...too stiff for some, but I like it...)

My driving region has miles and miles of uneven concrete road surfaces. The stock suspension just isn't a good match for this, as the car is constantly bounding up/down. It's strange, because the basic setup seems rather stiff (expansion cracks can be brutal), but it seems like after the first inch or so of travel, it's too soft??? This makes no sense to me. The compression/rebound just doesn't seem linear.

After almost 5 years, only 35k miles, would replacing with OEM struts help this? I'd think the suspension would be even MORE brutal if I were to find an aftermarket shock.

SOOO...I'm looking for softer initial compression, but firmer rebound. Does this combination exist, w/o a wholesale spring/strut swap? Would a taller tire help?

Thanks. I hope this all doesn't sound too bizarre.

you already have the 16 inch wheels over 17 so that will help, going down to some even smaller, lighter wheels like civic hybrid wheels for example will help even more as your sidewalls get taller. That is probably the simplest/easiest change to make and will net you efficiency in the form of a lighter wheel/tire package as a bonus.

i don't think anyone here has done too many suspension mod explorations, but i do agree that the leaf is pretty stiff in straight line and somewhat soft in the corners, which feels a bit opposite of my Audi for sure.

for springs, you could experiment with Nissan Juke springs, they are pretty much bolt on from my research, but i am not sure if the rates are softer or stiffer on them.

Marko

Back