2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so basically its sitting for a while and then partially charged? if you look at my stats, i have QC'd 30 times in 3 weeks and 81 l2 charges (prob more now) When I had my Solectria, I opportunity charged ALL the time. I guess I was still in that habit when I got the leaf. after 2100 miles, I am still showing 64.38ah

Yeah I noticed that. Strange that yours is so high. I'm trying to baby mine and do all the right things and its dropping? Maybe I should just say "screw it" and do whatever I want. I do notice something on this feed though, the only people who have lower readings are using leaf stat for ios, everyone else seems to be on leaf spy for android. I'm wondering if there isn't some difference in the software program and how they work with 2015 batteries? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part.

For those of you lucky enough to be driving a 2015 LEAF, how about some year end updates on your battery stats ?
Please include your total mileage and your cars build date.

2015 Leaf S w/QC; VIN 1N4AZ0CP1FC305832; Purchased 23 Dec 2014:

29 Dec 2014 @ 100% Charge:
Mileage: 93 (I've only had the car a week!)
GIDs: 289
kWh: 22.4
SOC: 96.4%
SOH: 100%
Hx: 97.45%
Ahr: 63.28 (Leaf Spy Pro screen 1; screen 3 indicates "61.00 Ah")
Avg Battery Temp: 53.0 deg F

One thing I noticed that seemed a bit off is that the LEAF instrument panel indicated that I had 108 miles remaining, but the LEAF Spy Pro indicates 77.7 "Miles to rsrv" (@ 3.8 miles/kWh, which is what I've averaged this first week of ownership.)

I hope this is helpful and correct. (Some of these values were slightly different on different screens in LEAF Spy Pro.)

Martin

MartinChico said:
Date:12/29/2014
Mileage: 93
Ahr: 63.28
MAX Battery Temp: 53.0 deg F (I'm not sure where to find average.)

One thing I noticed that seemed a bit off is that the LEAF instrument panel indicated that I had 108 miles remaining, but the LEAF Spy Pro indicates 77.7 "Miles to rsrv" (@ 3.8 miles/kWh, which is what I've averaged this first week of ownership.)

I hope this is helpful and correct. (Some of these values were slightly different on different screens in LEAF Spy Pro.)

Martin

LeafSpy based its' range on the efficiency number of 3.8 miles/kWh (which you can change in LeafSpy)
which is different from what the Leaf itself calculates based on your most recent driving mode.

Is your Leaf a 2014 or a 2015?

lorenfb said:
MartinChico said:
Date:12/29/2014
Mileage: 93
Ahr: 63.28
MAX Battery Temp: 53.0 deg F (I'm not sure where to find average.)

Martin

LeafSpy based its' range on the efficiency number of 3.8 miles/kWh (which you can change in LeafSpy)
which is different from what the Leaf itself calculates based on your most recent driving mode.

Is your Leaf a 2014 or a 2015?

This is a 2015 Leaf S w/QC.

Yes, I set LeafSpy to 3.8mi/kWh, and it calculated 78 "Miles to rsrv", even though the car estimated 108 miles to go. I have noticed that my efficiency is still increasing, so perhaps I'm doing much better than my overall average of 3.8mi/kWh.

Thanks for the reply.

MartinChico said:

Yes, I set LeafSpy to 3.8mi/kWh, and it calculated 78 "Miles to rsrv", even though the car estimated 108 miles to go. I have noticed that my efficiency is still increasing, so perhaps I'm doing much better than my overall average of 3.8mi/kWh.

Thanks for the reply.
Buy some black electrical tape and cover up the calculated range, aka "DTE" or Distance To Empty gauge. It is derisively also called the "GOM" or Guess-o-Meter.

The number shown will almost universally be optimistic when you first get in, the algorithm appears to calculate the number using some inflated efficiency number, psuedo based on recent driving history, but mostly by consulting a magic 8-ball on antidepressents. It then gradually updates this number based on the last few miles of driving (go up a hill and the number plummets, go down and it skyrockets), and finally it has a healthy reserve at the bottom end, so you might have 25-30% left when it is barking at you with a low battery warning and showing only 8 miles left.

Basically it is a gauge optimized to cause elation, horror, and anxiety along every long'ish trip you take.

Leaf Spy simply takes the best available number correlating to kWh left in the battery (GIDs) and displays a simple calculation of kWh remaining minus a reserve (5% default I think) times the efficiency you select. If you put in a typical number based on your driving and the time of year you get a sane estimate of expected range that steadily drops as you use up batter power. Obviously nobody but you can know if you are headed for hills, going to drive 90 mph, or hit headwinds, but it is far better range estimate than the GOM will provide.

3.8 miles/kWh is not terribly hot. As your tires break in it will get better, also consider increasing your air pressure from the factory 36 psi to at least 40 psi. There are tons of threads on this subject. If you run the heater during winter, especially on an S with a resistive heater, you will lose range fast. The heater commonly draws 1.5-3 kW which can easily reduce your efficiency and range by 10-20%.

Moof said:
MartinChico said:

Thanks for the reply.
Buy some black electrical tape and cover up the calculated range, aka "DTE" or Distance To Empty gauge. It is derisively also called the "GOM" or Guess-o-Meter.

The number shown will almost universally be optimistic when you first get in, the algorithm appears to calculate the number using some inflated efficiency number, psuedo based on recent driving history, but mostly by consulting a magic 8-ball on antidepressents. It then gradually updates this number based on the last few miles of driving (go up a hill and the number plummets, go down and it skyrockets), and finally it has a healthy reserve at the bottom end, so you might have 25-30% left when it is barking at you with a low battery warning and showing only 8 miles left.

Basically it is a gauge optimized to cause elation, horror, and anxiety along every long'ish trip you take.

Leaf Spy simply takes the best available number correlating to kWh left in the battery (GIDs) and displays a simple calculation of kWh remaining minus a reserve (5% default I think) times the efficiency you select. If you put in a typical number based on your driving and the time of year you get a sane estimate of expected range that steadily drops as you use up batter power. Obviously nobody but you can know if you are headed for hills, going to drive 90 mph, or hit headwinds, but it is far better range estimate than the GOM will provide.

3.8 miles/kWh is not terribly hot. As your tires break in it will get better, also consider increasing your air pressure from the factory 36 psi to at least 40 psi. There are tons of threads on this subject. If you run the heater during winter, especially on an S with a resistive heater, you will lose range fast. The heater commonly draws 1.5-3 kW which can easily reduce your efficiency and range by 10-20%.

Very informative and amusing. Nice work!

Thanks!

How would you expect the GIDs to vary with the seasonally dropping temps? I presume that charging at a colder temp. is going to bring less GIDs on board. So perhaps this is some of what is behind the variations observed from Sept. to Nov.?

Also, the battery warms during charging, but cools over time at rest. So my understanding is that the % SOC will be somewhat reduced from the cooling. So the 100 you had when the battery was warmed by the charging might now really be a 99.5 after resting an hour or two.

Coldest weather so far with my LEAF will be this week. High tomorrow expected to be a balmy 6(F) after 9 below tonight.

kikngas said:
How would you expect the GIDs to vary with the seasonally dropping temps? I presume that charging at a colder temp. is going to bring less GIDs on board. So perhaps this is some of what is behind the variations observed from Sept. to Nov.?

Also, the battery warms during charging, but cools over time at rest. So my understanding is that the % SOC will be somewhat reduced from the cooling. So the 100 you had when the battery was warmed by the charging might now really be a 99.5 after resting an hour or two.

Coldest weather so far with my LEAF will be this week. High tomorrow expected to be a balmy 6(F) after 9 below tonight.

The SOC should still indicate 100% but the actual capacity will be somewhat less for the colder
temperature, thereby affecting range.

kikngas said:

Cold weather affects range in a number of ways. A cold battery has reduced capacity, as you suggest. But if the car is charged and driven daily the battery can be considerably warmer than ambient and it has a lot of thermal mass that slows cooling when parked outside. If you park in an attached garage, your car might stay quite a bit warmer than ambient, even if you park outside during the day. Depends on your circumstances.

Another way cold affects range includes cabin heater use, which can suck down a lot of charge if not used carefully. Preheating while plugged-in can help with that. Dressing warmly and using the heated steering wheel and seats can also help, if you are willing to do that. The heated steering wheel and seats use only a trivial amount of energy, in contrast to the cabin heater.

Also, cold air is (a lot) more dense than warm air and greatly increases aerodynamic drag, and cold tires and gear lube increase rolling resistance. I get to see this first hand when I shift to neutral near the bottom of my hill. The speed of my car is a LOT lower in winter when cresting the next little hill than it is in summer; the difference is quite profound. In neutral I can rule out all other factors except for drag and rolling resistance. It is a big deal.

And, of course, driving in snow, slush, wind, rain, and the like takes much more energy than just driving on dry roads on a calm day. (Not that you have much rain this time of the year!)

So, yes, reduced battery capacity is some of the reason range is reduced in cold weather. But there are a lot of other factors as well.

2015 Leaf SV Manufactured date June 2014 - Leased Sept 2nd 2014 : Mileage: 4080 Charged: 25 QC 148 L2

100% Charge:
GIDs: 292
kWh: 22.6
SOC: 97.3%
Hx: 99.11%
Ahr: 64.38
Battery Temp: 62.5 deg F
Voltage min 4.117
Voltage average 4.124
Voltage max 4.130

So the 292 GID did not drop since new, but the 2011 was also at 281 for almost 2 years.
The biggest improvement for us is the hybrid heater.

camasleaf said:
2015 Leaf SV Manufactured date June 2014 - Leased Sept 2nd 2014 : Mileage: 4080 Charged: 25 QC 148 L2

100% Charge:
Voltage min 4.117
Voltage average 4.124
Voltage max 4.130

So the 292 GID did not drop since new, but the 2011 was also at 281 for almost 2 years.

I'm also showing 292 gids still on my 2015 after over 11000 miles and 6 months.

Haven't done screen shots for all the other values though.

minispeed said:
camasleaf said:

100% Charge:
Voltage min 4.117
Voltage average 4.124
Voltage max 4.130

I'm also showing 292 gids still on my 2015 after over 11000 miles and 6 months.

Haven't done screen shots for all the other values though.

Based on very limited reported data now, it appears that the 2015 battery is holding up well,
i.e. compared to my 2103 battery.

01/11/2015

2015 Leaf S Manufactured 09/14, Delivered 12/22/2014
100% battery charge (indicated) after ~4 hour, L-2 charge at local Nissan dealer:

Mileage: 215
SOH: *
Hx: *
(Ahr: 60.79 ? per Leaf Spy Pro screen 3, which is usually ~2 Ahr lower than screen 1)
Avg Battery Temp: *

*Didn't get this data this time. Still trying to get Leaf Pro to save this data and then recover it from my Android phone!

Can you guys maybe start tabulating the data in a similar way to what I've done in the other thread? It would make it easier to follow how your packs are doing. Mine is a once a month reading showing date, AHr remaining, remaining capacity percentage, SOH and mileage at reading (example below):

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&p=404503#p404503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phaset said:
Battery Update - 2015 Leaf S (Leased 09-30-14)

292 Gids
AHr = 64.38 (stable)
SOH = 100%
Hx = 108.66%
5,032 miles

Wow. Everyone on here is doing so much better than me. I just had a 276 Gids, 97.31% SOC, 89.53% SOH reading at just under 6,000 miles. I guess I either got a bad battery, my car sat in the sun too much on the lot, or my wife and I charged up to 100% too often the first 2,000 miles (before we knew better)

2015 Leaf SV
Leased Date - 8-30-14
Mileage - 2033
Soh - 90%
Charges - 2 QC 79 L1/L2
Gidds - 266
Kwh - 20.6
Soc - 97.4%
Hx - 85.81%
Ahr - 56.46
Battery Temp - Max 73.2
Voltage Max - 4.132
Voltage Min - 4.114
Voltage Avg - 4.122 (18mv)

Seems like a lot of loss for 3 1/2 months use.

Alright I'll finally get around to posting the screen shot info from leafspy as I've got some time to kill.

2015 Leaf SV got it on July 25 2014

The only thing I recorded was a mental note of 292 GIDS when I got the leaf spy ap.

Nov 3rd these screen shots were at 100% from the L2 at home, I drove to work and charged to 100% on L1 and took a single screen shot and it had 292 GIDS and 22.6 kWh SOC 97.4 but I didn't take screen shots with the other info. I think I might have had CC running in the AM though.
Nov 3 '14: KM - 11 962, Soh - 100%, Charges - 11 QC 256 L1/L2, Gidds - 289, kWh - 22.4, Soc - 96.4%, Hx - 101.94%, Ahr - 64.38
Jan 17 '15: KM - 19 338, Soh - 100%, Charges - 38 QC 453 L1/L2, Gidds - 292, kWh - 22.6, Soc - 97.2%, Hx - 108.32%, Ahr - 64.38

now here's the odd thing, that was at 100% but I took a peak at the car when it was at 97-98% on L1 and got this:
Jan 17 '15: KM - 19 338, Soh - 100%, Charges - 38 QC 453 L1/L2, Gidds - 293, kWh - 22.7, Soc - 97.5%, Hx - 108.32%, Ahr - 64.38

I'm guessing this is the batteries balancing themselves?

Back