2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galiano

So on the Nissan Canada website it mentions that dealers will start registering people wanting to order a 2013 model in late August. Presumably delivery would be September or later (anyone heard more ? ) which begs the question - how soon after will the 2014 models be available and will there be any significant changes ? I'm sure this is not information Nissan will be forthcoming with.

If they are not even going to start registering people for the 2013 until August, I'd likely just wait for the 2014... I'd expect very minor changes, however.

Galiano said:
So on the Nissan Canada website it mentions that dealers will start registering people wanting to order a 2013 model in late August. Presumably delivery would be September or later (anyone heard more ? ) which begs the question - how soon after will the 2014 models be available and will there be any significant changes ? I'm sure this is not information Nissan will be forthcoming with.

TomT said:
If they are not even going to start registering people for the 2013 until August, I'd likely just wait for the 2014... I'd expect very minor changes, however.

Galiano said:

+1 The big change will be the 2015 model. Perhaps it will have a better/hardier pack.

Anyone have any word on the '14 Leafs for the US market?

If the '13 were to have a short lifecycle and were on a regular car's schedule, they'd start showing up end of Aug or early Sept. I personally picked up my 04 350Z right before Labor Day weekend of 03. It was the 1st one my salesman had "delivered". I'd put down a deposit on an 04 as the stock of 03s was running dry.

cwerdna said:
Anyone have any word on the '14 Leafs for the US market? If the '13 were to have a short lifecycle and were on a regular car's schedule, they'd start showing up end of Aug or early Sept. I personally picked up my 04 350Z right before Labor Day weekend of 03. It was the 1st one my salesman had "delivered". I'd put down a deposit on an 04 as the stock of 03s was running dry.
Well, if my frequently faulty memory happens to be right, 2011 deliveries started in January (except for a handful of special cases, like Gudy), 2012 deliveries started in February, and 2013 deliveries also started in February. I'd say you've set the hurdles about four months too high. [not to mix metaphors]

Ray

cwerdna said:
Anyone have any word on the '14 Leafs for the US market?

If the '13 were to have a short lifecycle and were on a regular car's schedule, they'd start showing up end of Aug or early Sept. I personally picked up my 04 350Z right before Labor Day weekend of 03. It was the 1st one my salesman had "delivered". I'd put down a deposit on an 04 as the stock of 03s was running dry.

In the past, Nissan would have a short sales-cycle for a particular model year if a heavily re-designed model were to be coming out soon. An example is the 1999 Maxima; the re-designed MY 2000 Maxima came out early. MY '94 Maximas were also cut short when the bigger '95 came out. Same with the 1986 720 pickup; the Hardbody was released later that same year as an 86-1/2.

I don't expect the MY 2014 Leaf to be substantially different than MY 2013.

August-September has been traditionally the model year cutover, but manufacturers aren't necessarily going by that anymore. Let's not forget that our Canadian friends have not gotten their MY 13's yet.

LEAFfan said:
+1 The big change will be the 2015 model. Perhaps it will have a better/hardier pack.

Rumor on the streets of Nashville is the Gen II pack won't be seen until 2016. Perfect timing to trade in my 2011 :)

JPWhite said:
LEAFfan said:

Rumor on the streets of Nashville is the Gen II pack won't be seen until 2016. Perfect timing to trade in my 2011 :)
2016 model released in 2015 or released in 2016? My 2yr lease will be up in 2015. I'm figuring another 2yr lease likely then I'll hopefully be in time for a Tesla Gen III or whatever new wonder Nissan has come up with. I'm hoping there will be improvement by fall 2015.

RonDawg said:
In the past, Nissan would have a short sales-cycle for a particular model year if a heavily re-designed model were to be coming out soon. An example is the 1999 Maxima; the re-designed MY 2000 Maxima came out early. MY '94 Maximas were also cut short when the bigger '95 came out. Same with the 1986 720 pickup; the Hardbody was released later that same year as an 86-1/2.

I don't expect the MY 2014 Leaf to be substantially different than MY 2013.

August-September has been traditionally the model year cutover, but manufacturers aren't necessarily going by that anymore. Let's not forget that our Canadian friends have not gotten their MY 13's yet.
Ahh. I wasn't keeping track of Maxima generations back then. I agree that I don't think the '14 Leaf will be much different than the '13.

The '10 Prius also had a funny cutover. It was introduced in January 09 (DaveinOlyWA and I were in Detroit for it) and the first ones became available around mid-May 2009.

edit: Fixed Prius availability date.

planet4ever said:
Well, if my frequently faulty memory happens to be right, 2011 deliveries started in January (except for a handful of special cases, like Gudy), 2012 deliveries started in February, and 2013 deliveries also started in February. I'd say you've set the hurdles about four months too high. [not to mix metaphors]

Ray
I think you are right about 2011 and 2013 but I got my 2012 in December 2011 (build date October 2011) and am sure there were November deliveries also. I think the 2012 model may have started delivery in October. Production of 2011s was done before September 2011, IIRC.

The Altima has 4 different options for the interior. The LEAF SL has exactly one interior, black leather.

Any chance they will fix this for 2014 ?

dgpcolorado said:
planet4ever said:
Well, if my frequently faulty memory happens to be right, 2011 deliveries started in January (except for a handful of special cases, like Gudy), 2012 deliveries started in February, and 2013 deliveries also started in February.
I think you are right about 2011 and 2013 but I got my 2012 in December 2011 (build date October 2011) and am sure there were November deliveries also. I think the 2012 model may have started delivery in October.
Ah, so based on a grand total of three data points, Nissan "always" ships major upgrade LEAF model years in the winter, and model years with only slight changes in the fall. :lol:

Ray

KJD said:
The Altima has 4 different options for the interior. The LEAF SL has exactly one interior, black leather.

Any chance they will fix this for 2014 ?
I too don't like black being the only leather choice, but the dark interiors were partly due to complaints that the previously light only interior gets dirty too easily.

There is additional cost associated w/providing more choices and inventory risk. For those who don't know, last year per http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/U-S-Sales-Reports/releases/nissan-north-america-sales-increase-9-5-percent-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, Nissan sold (in the US) ~2-3x the # of Altimas in a single month compared to Leafs for the whole year!

Those extra costs can be spread out over lots of Altimas vs. few Leafs.

cwerdna said:
The '10 Prius also had a funny cutover. It was introduced in January 09 (DaveinOlyWA and I were in Detroit for it) and the first ones became available around mid-May 2010.
Were you at the 3rd gen Prius Connect even that Toyota did in Detroit?

jelloslug said:
cwerdna said:
The '10 Prius also had a funny cutover. It was introduced in January 09 (DaveinOlyWA and I were in Detroit for it) and the first ones became available around mid-May 2010.
Yes. Whoops! Typo in my post. :oops: I meant the 1st '10 Priuses became available in mid-May 2009.

cwerdna said:
jelloslug said:
cwerdna said:
Yes. Whoops! Typo in my post. :oops: I meant the 1st '10 Priuses became available in mid-May 2009.
I was there too (with my wife).

1st details of the 2104...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085587_2014-nissan-leaf-minor-changes-for-nissans-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new Nissan LEAF has come up with various comprehensive designs. It is more agile than before thanks to a comprehensive raft of chassis changes while it will go further on a single charge. The NEDC range has increased from 175 kms to 199 kms thanks to a series of engineering improvements.

Back