2014 Leaf battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettP1

I have a 2014 Leaf, 38K miles.
Currently I get about 55 miles with no special driving or turning off the AC (I live in Florida). I should add that's with ECO mode turned off.

It's a very handy car for trips to the grocery store, etc.

I've read the threads about battery replacement, and the the Dala CANBUS bridge (which gives more options for replacement).

So, with that said, what do you guys recommend regarding the battery? I'd love to get more miles; 100 miles is far more useful, more than 100 is better still. I don't need 200 miles, and don't want it unless TEOTHWAWKI or it's cheap (it's not).

Thanks in advance,

G.

My recommendation is to just drive the car as-is or sell it and buy a new EV. Battery swaps are possible but unless you live near a shop that does them regularly it wouldn't be worth the effort to me.

A good 30kWh battery will get you about 100 miles of range in good conditions, much less in cold weather, etc. 40kWh and 62kWh batteries are expensive and hard to find. A 62kWh battery requires fabrication of new mounts and ideally new suspension components to handle the extra weight. There is also the issue of matching the battery to the car's electronics, which has been solved, but requires more equipment, money and effort.

Stanton,

Exactly the advice I was looking for.

I have access to a national data base of salvage cars for sale; the trick will be transport costs.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.

G.

GarrettP1 said:
Stanton,

Exactly the advice I was looking for.

I have access to a national data base of salvage cars for sale; the trick will be transport costs.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.

G.
Happy to help! It would be good to share that database with the forum (if possible). Finding donor cars/packs really is the #1 hurdle...and prices can be all over the map.

Back